Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 28 May 2012, 23:59 (Ref:3080877)   #1
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cobra Ferrari Wars

Just watched a program on BBC4 about Carroll Shelby and his development of the Cobra and the battles with Ferrari at Le Mans, Sebring and Daytona in '63 and '64.
I think it should be on BBC iplayer if anyone is interested in watching it.
Bloody interesting it was!

Edit - program name is same as threa title!

Last edited by Hawkwood; 29 May 2012 at 00:23. Reason: Because I'm forgetful at 1am
Old 29 May 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3080878)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
You should check out the A.J. Baime book Go Like Hell, which is about that period. Amazing racing history, and more detail.

This probably belongs in the history section.
Old 29 May 2012, 01:00 (Ref:3080888)   #3
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say the Ford/Shelby vs. Ferrari wars of 1964-1967 were among the very greatest moments in motorsport.

Such an amazing emotionally charged rivalry.

I think it'd make for a pretty amazing Hollywood film too, if it was done correctly.
Old 29 May 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3080891)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
I think it'd make for a pretty amazing Hollywood film too, if it was done correctly.
Given the success of the Senna documentary and the current major effort "Rush," start adapting the story to screen play, you may find some takers.
Old 29 May 2012, 05:19 (Ref:3080929)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
You should check out the A.J. Baime book Go Like Hell, which is about that period. Amazing racing history, and more detail.

Great book - it is well worth reading.
Old 29 May 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3080962)   #6
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Given the success of the Senna documentary and the current major effort "Rush," start adapting the story to screen play, you may find some takers.
Michael Mann took it already an year ago...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118037661

That is from May 2011, and I couldn't find anything new since, which likely means that Mann makes some other movie(s) first. It's listed on IMDB, but that alone doesn't mean anything. Actually looks like this was in the planning already in 2009.

Last edited by deggis; 29 May 2012 at 07:34.
Old 29 May 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3081265)   #7
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post

That is from May 2011, and I couldn't find anything new since, which likely means that Mann makes some other movie(s) first. It's listed on IMDB, but that alone doesn't mean anything. Actually looks like this was in the planning already in 2009.
As long as he gets Tangerine Dream to do the soundtrack again!

DK
Old 29 May 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3081267)   #8
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks, never heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out
Old 29 May 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3081293)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The cobra wars program was shown last year on BBC 4 was very good BBC4 tend to repeat things several times in a short period so it may be on again in a few days
Old 29 May 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3081316)   #10
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Thanks, never heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out
If your library doesn't have it, it is available in paperback. I do not know if available in kindle, nook, whatever...
Old 29 May 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3081320)   #11
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post

Interesting! I know most books get 'optioned.' The Brad Pitt part means it would be big budget. I hope that doesn't translate to endless computer graphics and unrealistic personalities. I am going to go take an optimist pill now
Old 29 May 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3081395)   #12
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The cobra wars program was shown last year on BBC 4 was very good BBC4 tend to repeat things several times in a short period so it may be on again in a few days
Monday night was already a repeat from Sunday though.
Old 29 May 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3081404)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The film is good, but as skycafe says, the book is a great read. Funnily enough I lent my copy (bought for 50p from the local Oxfam bookshop... ) to my old Le Mans chum only today......
Old 30 May 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3081694)   #14
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Like-Hell...8365181&sr=1-1

Well worth a £6 investment - also on Kindle
Old 30 May 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3081746)   #15
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started watching this on iPlayer yesterday, but fell asleep (Not a reflection on the programme I don't think) - It's on there until Sunday, I believe, so I'll have another go tonight or tomorrow.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3081765)   #16
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If your library doesn't have it, it is available in paperback. I do not know if available in kindle, nook, whatever...
I got my copy in a discount book sale for about ten australian dollars. Great read, its already started falling apart though . I've read it a few times
Old 30 May 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3081839)   #17
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I shall dig out the book, as I found the programme (Which I have as a DVD from the TV a few years back!) somewhat uneven. The genuine footage was rivetting, but the modern stuff (shot at Goodwood, from the look?) left something to be desired.
The best bit about that DVD is it also has Sound Barrier, about the US X planes... Now THERE is some thoroughgoing horsepower.
Old 30 May 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3081949)   #18
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really Ferrari v Cobra related but Bill Cosby explaining his short ownership of the Cobra 427 Super Snake that Shelby personally built for him to stop him from buying Italian sports cars is great http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...AboutCobra.mp4
Old 30 May 2012, 16:32 (Ref:3081956)   #19
backfire
Rookie

backfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the "modern" stuff was shot at Goodwood on 21st February 2002, with most of the driving done by Mark Hales.