Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 4 Apr 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3228965)   #1
Old_Bob
Rookie

New Zealand
Southland - ex N.I.B
Old_Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013-2014 N.Z National Motorsport Classes..(Excluding NZV8 & ST please.)

2013... Time to start preparing for the next race season.
This thread is aimed at the 'smaller ego' classes as an alternative to the all important V8 fiasco.

Who is entering in what class?
Where are they going to race?

Is it time to create a series for competitors based around the condensed and highly successful Toyota calender?

Would the F5000s' be prepared to run in such a series?

Is there a way to achieve parity within the current Formula Ford variants to enable this class to be 're-born' as an entry level class where a talented kart-racer can be competitive without a 150k budget?

How many of you would pay to attend a race meeting that included;
Toyotas,
F5000s,
Formula Fords (Toyota/Honda?),
GT86,
Honda Cup, Suzuki or similar.
Perhaps another premier class could be included if they play nice?
How about a regional 'All-comers' selection to enable the much needed by easily dismissed local content...? Yeah Right...

These classes may be of interest to some people?

Has anyone ever thought of gaining NZ wide T.V exposure by offering exclusive coverage of race meetings to Maori T.V at 'no charge'...
Wouldn't that put the cat amongst the pigeons'
Old 5 Apr 2013, 02:05 (Ref:3229364)   #2
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bob View Post
Is it time to create a series for competitors based around the condensed and highly successful Toyota calender?
I would say a definate no to that!

Remembering that for most TRS teams it is a business they are running. Yes it is successful for them but i dont think it would work for the majority of any other classes.

Take out the top echelon of competitors, how many could afford to do 5 or 6 weekends of Motorsport in a row, as well as travel the length of the country. And I dont mean just financial wise, its the time off work or away from their businesses for travel plus car prep time etc etc, its basically full time for 6 weeks...plus there is the toll on man & machinery.

And aside to all that, there are a great number of Kiwi competitors who enjoy a family summer break & actually prefer to race at other times of the year.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3229743)   #3
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bob View Post
2013... Time to start preparing for the next race season.
This thread is aimed at the 'smaller ego' classes as an alternative to the all important V8 fiasco.

Who is entering in what class?
Where are they going to race?

Would the F5000s' be prepared to run in such a series?

Is there a way to achieve parity within the current Formula Ford variants to enable this class to be 're-born' as an entry level class where a talented kart-racer can be competitive without a 150k budget?

How many of you would pay to attend a race meeting that included;
Toyotas,
F5000s,
Formula Fords (Toyota/Honda?),
GT86,
Honda Cup, Suzuki or similar.
Perhaps another premier class could be included if they play nice?
How about a regional 'All-comers' selection to enable the much needed by easily dismissed local content...? Yeah Right...

These classes may be of interest to some people?

Has anyone ever thought of gaining NZ wide T.V exposure by offering exclusive coverage of race meetings to Maori T.V at 'no charge'...
Wouldn't that put the cat amongst the pigeons'
I commend you for the post but its all too similar to what we have. I agree with CDM, not only are budgets not there any more, also adding to that issue is the time needed to follow this potential series over the summer period plus the holiday period loadings we all have to pay. With the exception of TRS which isnt made for NZ anymore, its made for foreigners and NZ teams to run them, most people want to spend time with the family, especially after this summer and that goes for attendees as well.

Im sure this may appeal to a number of us but we have to be looked after as well, something that hasnt been done very well in the past. The MSNZ run series can only offer free entries for so long before the blood starts running out the doors again.

Are you saying at the foot of your post that Maori TV would pay to cover the event as no one pays for their coverage to air, its the cost to produce that coverage is where the pain is.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 00:52 (Ref:3229768)   #4
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The single biggest costs in doing FFord are
1. Paying to get your hands on a competitive engine
2. The additional mileage/costs involved in going testing.

Otherwise I think the class itself has done what it can to contain costs.
The trouble is the PERCEPTION that it takes $150k plus to run up front

In large part the karting fraternity are primed to belive such things because theirs is a sport where you buy your success...
Old 6 Apr 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3229780)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 86 View Post
I commend you for the post but its all too similar to what we have. I agree with CDM, not only are budgets not there any more, also adding to that issue is the time needed to follow this potential series over the summer period plus the holiday period loadings we all have to pay. With the exception of TRS which isnt made for NZ anymore, its made for foreigners and NZ teams to run them, most people want to spend time with the family, especially after this summer and that goes for attendees as well.
I think TRS was always shaking the cup around for foreign drivers to come over, but I notice they got aggressive about it after the GFC and they had that one season where grid numbers were not very good(9-10 cars at some rounds? I can't remember). Then I started seeing a lot more advertising overseas and blurbs in places like Autosport.

If you are a cashed up Euro who needs some drive time and some seasoning, certainly it's a great option, which is why many have taken it up and filled out the field.

What happens next, I don't know. Personally I'd like to see something a bit more exciting with more horsepower.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 04:16 (Ref:3229823)   #6
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not really for me either. The only category in that list I'd pay to watch would be F5000.

To be perfectly honest, I enjoy the HRC two day meetings with 12 classes, even if they are mainly local drivers.

A wide variety of makes/models is my preference and so no matter how close the racing, and accepting that it is now a great stepping stone, the Toyota Series has never lit my fire, nor have Suzuki Swifts.

I'd far rather see a grid of those wonderful old specials that seem to be very common in the South Island; open saloons; older TransAms; Muscle cars; grids of mixed classics; vintage grids; GTs, Formula Junior/Historics.

The fact that there are virtually no modern cars is just that I can't get very enthusiastic about any modern category other than possibly the GTs.

As for my own racing, as stated above, a maximum of six or seven meetings spread throughout the season, without the need to travel further than Taupo is within my budget - just, but I haven't even bothered with Taupo since I reached Gold Card status! Any mechanical problem nowadays may mean missing half the season on the grounds of either parts availability or costs, or both.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 07:06 (Ref:3229848)   #7
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Any mechanical problem nowadays may mean missing half the season on the grounds of either parts availability or costs, or both.
Thats the thing isn't it? The 'base of the pyramid' are genuinely enjoying their sport on a shoe-string.
I believe it is crucially important that organisers/officials etc never lose sight of this.
When the cost to fun ratio gets out of whack people find other things to do.

It is also important for those who are trying to drum up interest in a 'series' of any type. It doesn't take much to derail 6 - 8 of your 16 entries at seasons start - as we've seen over the years.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3230077)   #8
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
It is also important for those who are trying to drum up interest in a 'series' of any type. It doesn't take much to derail 6 - 8 of your 16 entries at seasons start - as we've seen over the years.
Spot on! We have 120 fully paid up drivers for this season. Twenty of them haven't managed to turn a wheel so far - and there are several struggling with rebuilds, either parts availability, finance, or time.

As our average driver age has crept up to 54.36 yrs, as at today, there are now a significant number of retirees with vastly reduced income (and physical condition in some cases - includes me!) The cars of choice aren't getting much younger either, so trying to keep a Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Fiat, or old Volvo engine running, is getting tougher by the year.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3231084)   #9
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
The single biggest costs in doing FFord are
1. Paying to get your hands on a competitive engine
2. The additional mileage/costs involved in going testing.

Otherwise I think the class itself has done what it can to contain costs.
The trouble is the PERCEPTION that it takes $150k plus to run up front

In large part the karting fraternity are primed to belive such things because theirs is a sport where you buy your success...
Icarus is right.

There is an extensive discussion on FF here :- http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...r-Formula-Ford which is well worth a read for anyone who is interested in the subject.

It pretty well establishes also that the cost to be competitive at the front need be nowhere near the mentioned $150k. Barry Leitch reckons Brendon was run on a shoestring, as were most of the other front runners.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3231127)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Icarus is right.

There is an extensive discussion on FF here :- http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...r-Formula-Ford which is well worth a read for anyone who is interested in the subject.

It pretty well establishes also that the cost to be competitive at the front need be nowhere near the mentioned $150k. Barry Leitch reckons Brendon was run on a shoestring, as were most of the other front runners.
One of the first things I saw in that thread was that the Honda Fit engine was not an option because it would rule out support from Ford.

Well, when last did Ford significantly back Formula Ford in NZ? The kent engine is ancient and hasn't been in their cars for ages so it means nothing to Ford.

I think on the formula ford level, it should be enough that the car can be run out of a garage by one or 2 people and after the initial investment, not cost a fortune to run every weekend.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3231211)   #11
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
One of the first things I saw in that thread was that the Honda Fit engine was not an option because it would rule out support from Ford.

Well, when last did Ford significantly back Formula Ford in NZ? The kent engine is ancient and hasn't been in their cars for ages so it means nothing to Ford.

I think on the formula ford level, it should be enough that the car can be run out of a garage by one or 2 people and after the initial investment, not cost a fortune to run every weekend.
That is true, but if you read further on from there Crunch (who is VP of MSNZ) has said that the debate on there has led him to reassess his opinion, not just on the Honda engine but also the FF200 Ecoboost replacement which he previously favoured. It is great that we can engage with (some of) the higher levels of MSNZ and have them respond positively to input. A lot of respect to Crunch for that. The meat in that thread makes quite an interesting read.

As is stated, there are a lot more challenges facing NZFF than just which engine for the future. There needs to be a feeder North Island Series similar to the South Island Formula Ford Championship. The strength of FF in the South Island would appear to be the reason that the top four NZFF Championship place getters were from the south.

Most of those guys have clearly demonstrated that, contrary to popular misconception, FF can be run competitively and successfully on a relatively restricted budget.

What is stopping the North, where all the money and population is, from getting a similar feeder series up and running?

How to do it? And how to get the numerous cars/drivers out on the track? That is the primary burning issue.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3231213)   #12
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a little disappointed in this thread - was hoping that there would be some indication regarding establishment of a series that showcased our major national championships was important - but this does not seem the case - perhaps it is time to put it to bed

however I am not in favour of that because I believe that we should have a Championship series for our championships - yes it probably needs to be cobbled around TRS given they are an important component of it. But not all categories need to be at all TRS meetings and there is scope for one before Xmas and certainly one in March.

I would like to see on the schedule like TRS, V8 touring cars, a single make saloon series, FFord FFirst, a big grunter modified series, smaller modified saloon series, a local club class - now a mixture of say 5 of those groups at each meeting could be attractive and I am sure a good promotion could be arranged around them that would be pushed to non-motorsport enthausists.

then of course there is the question of who actually does this - do not see a long queue of promoters lining up for the task. Like it or not it was something that TMC did well - yes felt they did lose their way in the last couple of years - but for a number of years they did provide for MSNZ a championship series
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:48 (Ref:3231233)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
That is true, but if you read further on from there Crunch (who is VP of MSNZ) has said that the debate on there has led him to reassess his opinion, not just on the Honda engine but also the FF200 Ecoboost replacement which he previously favoured. It is great that we can engage with (some of) the higher levels of MSNZ and have them respond positively to input. A lot of respect to Crunch for that. The meat in that thread makes quite an interesting read.

As is stated, there are a lot more challenges facing NZFF than just which engine for the future. There needs to be a feeder North Island Series similar to the South Island Formula Ford Championship. The strength of FF in the South Island would appear to be the reason that the top four NZFF Championship place getters were from the south.

Most of those guys have clearly demonstrated that, contrary to popular misconception, FF can be run competitively and successfully on a relatively restricted budget.

What is stopping the North, where all the money and population is, from getting a similar feeder series up and running?

How to do it? And how to get the numerous cars/drivers out on the track? That is the primary burning issue.
How to do it? Go back to what Formula Ford was when it started. If you were a young person with a decent job and you wanted to race you could cobble together the money, buy the car, maybe find a few people to chip in to help out and go racing. And you could race in some countries almost every weekend. Those that fared well in that sea of competitors, even without big family fortunes or multi million dollar sponsors, usually had a decent shot at moving up the ladder. I don't see that today. Check writing skills have seemed to almost totally wipe out merit and talent as being factors.

Especially overseas now in the UK for instance, that isn't the case and you need a 1980's sized F1 team to run a Formula Ford team. Way over the top and it's why the sport is dying from within and the age of competitors gets older. I've heard teams in Australia want over $200K to run a season in FF there. Obviously there are some higher travel costs which adds a bit, but running the same cars for a few years, I don't see how that adds up. No wonder that series has twisted in the wind for a few years.

To me if there is not any manufacturer support, there is no reason to tie that boat anchor around your leg. The Fit engine is just pure common sense, especially in a country like NZ.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3231247)   #14
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was asked to promote a meeting at a circuit around the country with my choice of classes excluding NZV8 and Supertourers it would go something like this:
Muscle Cars including some Aussie Masters big names, for the petrol heads
Toyotas for the single seater purists
F5000 for the Classic fraternity
Super Trucks for the dedicated truckies
Top NZ motorcycle class
D1NZ for the young people
Honda Cup or similar if there is room

Something for everyone to bring the punters through the gates
Old 9 Apr 2013, 01:29 (Ref:3231252)   #15
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it'd be great to have the D1NZ form a relationship with some circuit racing classes. Would be beneficial to get some of the drift-folk onto the 'grip racing' band-wagon.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 03:19 (Ref:3231281)   #16
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Problem with that is drifters don't mix well.

These days it certainly seems you can only have a couple of national classes.
Under that there should be say north and south classes.
They can fight thier own champs and maybe in alternative years hold a one off national champs meeting in their respective islands with the top cars from the other island invited.
Could base a whole weekend around the battle of north vs south
Old 9 Apr 2013, 05:26 (Ref:3231295)   #17
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Problem with that is drifters don't mix well.

These days it certainly seems you can only have a couple of national classes.
Under that there should be say north and south classes.
They can fight thier own champs and maybe in alternative years hold a one off national champs meeting in their respective islands with the top cars from the other island invited.
Could base a whole weekend around the battle of north vs south
they do have the ability to pull a crowd
Old 9 Apr 2013, 05:41 (Ref:3231298)   #18
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Has their crowds behavior improved of late?
Old 9 Apr 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3231352)   #19
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Has their crowds behavior improved of late?
Really my suggestion was for a crowd pulling mix something for everyone.

The drifting on TV3 Sunday was really a professional show.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3231381)   #20
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps trucks are past their use by date?
Old 9 Apr 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3231404)   #21
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
Really my suggestion was for a crowd pulling mix something for everyone.

The drifting on TV3 Sunday was really a professional show.
Oversteer TV do an awesome job producing the D1NZ stuff. I can't comment on the nature of the drift crowds, having never attended a drift event outside of the Drift Shifters event last year - but I think most categories in NZ would be more concerned with quantity than quality, when it comes to paying spectators.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3231654)   #22
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Too broad a brush, means that rather than attracting everyone, you attract no one. There is a huge difference between balance and diversity and yet you can have both. Although I didn't go to Rod Millen's Leadfoot this year, it appears to have balance AND diversity.

I wouldn't pay to go to a race meeting just to see one class - ever. Adding a drift class to a circuit meeting adds diversity, but it throws out the balance of the event, so the drift fraternity would probably not support it, just for 15% of the day, as 85 % of the day may be of zero interest to them. Equally, 85% of the spectators may not be too keen on drifting either. However, adding a drift element to say the skid pan at HD during a race meeting, may introduce drifting to those who haven't seen it, but without reducing track time for the racers.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3231769)   #23
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=bluespur;3231381]Perhaps trucks are past their use by date?

Think I would prefer Drifting to Trucks anyway, even if I am not into Drifting ( Only ever seen Drifting at V8SC Meetings anyway. My 10 Year old loves it, plenty of Sideways and burning Rubber.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3231989)   #24
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I browse most of the NZ motorsport forums and always keen to see how we (D1NZ) rate in discussions..

D1NZ has grown very well over the last 2-3 seasons. This year (10th anniversary) has got to be the best yet, the championship chase and crowd numbers has been fantastic, not to mention the media exposure and sponsor involvement.

We've worked hard to cater for a much different fanbase, introduced new vip passes, family/no drinking areas and the professionalism of our events has evolved just as fast as whats happening on track.

Full fields in both Pro and development classes and the ability to pull over 5,000 people on a single day competition format. We all know promoters love counting the same people over a 3 day period

Tauranga and Ruapuna have been our best crowds both around the 7,000 mark, and we are talking families and people of all ages. Not to mention people like SVG and Jono Lester (2014) having a crack it's not hard to find V8 Touring car merchandise amongst the crowd.

Ive spoken to many fans, top racers / team owners who would love to see something like a V8ST/D1NZ double header weekend - lets be honest here, other than those 2 series what other 'circuit based' motorsport series is pulling consistent crowds? Spectating and working at recent V8ST rounds ive seen a rather big lack of enthusiasm felt for ANY of the support classes, except CMC with a decent field.

At the end of the day id encourage people to attend around for yourself, we've come a long long way since 2003.

Ps, for the record Oversteer TV is not affiliated with the TV3 D1NZ show just to clear things up, we do supply footage from time to time.

Kenny Ruddell
OversteerTV.co.nz
Old 10 Apr 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3232178)   #25
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR93 View Post
lets be honest here, other than those 2 series what other 'circuit based' motorsport series is pulling consistent crowds?
http://f5000.co.nz/