Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 12 Oct 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1122002)   #26
DaveStyles
Rookie

DaveStyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Karting_jenny
There is Nuthampstead(sp?)

Which was closed down long ago. Dunno what is happening in the area now.

jenny
Nuthampstead was running since the sixties and was closed down in the nineties by falling numbers, rising MSA costs, and newcomers in the local village. It was also one of the last short circuit tracks to run class 3 and class 4 Karts. (I remember a 125 Villiers ?? do they still race them ??)

It was resurfaced in the early nineties too..

and if you drive out there now,.. you'll find a fantastic proper racing tarmac, kart track in the middle of a farmers field.

Still with painted kerbs and everything.

btw, for anyone who raced or knew of Nuthampstead closely.
I'm not the competition/club secretary from the 80's/90's of the same name.

Thats my Dad..

anyway... I went past recently... it ws spooky, it was like it hadn't changed one bit.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1123478)   #27
Tom Horley
Racer

Tom Horley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where do you race Super ICC and FA then Alex? Didn't see you at Sarno earlier in the year....
Old 26 Oct 2004, 21:31 (Ref:1137099)   #28
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read up the page and you'll see where I race.

Maybe you didnt see me at sarno because I wasn't there
Old 27 Oct 2004, 05:55 (Ref:1137331)   #29
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Catterick still exist ....... but what of the other NE tracks ?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1138306)   #30
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didnt know Catterick had kart races, I just thought they did cars. I'll ask my dad, he was born there.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1147220)   #31
MaxMotus
Rookie

United Kingdom
Loughborough
MaxMotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Felton

Hi there,

Interesting all these kart tracks that seem to be going down the toilet...

Langbaugh seems to be going strong with its corparate stuff these days. Very weird though, built with council funding then closed down by the council for being too noisy even though its right next too a noisy dual carrigeway and factory!

Was a great place to race, even in winter you got 2 practice, 3 Heats and Final in Junior Britain.

I went past Felton 2 years ago, track still there, but all buildings removed and a little grassy, it was around foot and mouth time so could go into have a look as signs up on foot and mouth every where!

I used to go to chasewater to scrub in brake pads and run in engines, track was far to short! Only 4 corners and each end was a mirror image! If its still there even thought road is built, wounder why it ain't used?
Pits were tiny!

Nuthampstead, now theres a blast from the past! Only raced there once, that track was so rough and bumpy! It was all concreate, not to mention shorter than Chase!!

Arrgh the good old days!
Old 11 Nov 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1150583)   #32
DaveStyles
Rookie

DaveStyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Felton

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxMotus

Nuthampstead, now theres a blast from the past! Only raced there once, that track was so rough and bumpy! It was all concreate, not to mention shorter than Chase!!

Arrgh the good old days!
Yep... Nutty was concrete for quite a while !

It did get a new tarmac surface eventually though...

It also needed a 92 sprocket !! (a 91 if you weighed nowt)

Now that must have been the biggest size in the country !
Old 11 Nov 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1150626)   #33
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
95 or 96 at Matchams!! Bit nuts out of corners....
Old 15 Nov 2004, 17:03 (Ref:1154211)   #34
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track at Snetterton has definately gone....
The area has been reused for other functions (it was purely a tarmac area with tyres plonked about!)Many of the indoor circuits were much bigger anyway. Norwich Indoor Kart Circuit (who used to use the one at Snetterton sometimes) has also closed.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2987750)   #35
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nuthampstead was a funny old circuit. Surely the smallest in the country. I wonder if it is still there.

I only did my Novice races there and one full plate race as a kid, the competition wasn't up to much really. (It was only a small friendly club to be fair)
Old 23 Nov 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2990529)   #36
classic Ed
Rookie

classic Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do all. Chasewater is now part of the M6 toll road. Part of the original site is still there but its very hard to pick out on google earth. The club is still going though and are looking for a new site. if you know of one in the same area then they would love to hear about it.
Donington on the other hand is an interesting thing. I am lead to believe that there was a kart circuit there in the early 60's on what is now the Melbourne loop. The British Historic kart club are staging an event on the loop this spring at the historic festival and were planning on holding the first world championships for historic karts there.
This has been strained a bit by the FIA who are putting pressure on the event to change the name as they believe they own the words "world" and "championship". No matter what name it ends up as, the event will still go ahead.
Pop along if you can.

There used to be a circuit at Long Lawford years ago but I think it was in the days when you went round bales on an old airfield.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2990546)   #37
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember marshalling at MSA meetings on the square of Stanley Barracks at Bovington Camp in Dorset. The circuit was marshalled by members of Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Armoured Corps and Army Junior School of Music (whose home the barracks was) and was made from stacks of tyres with the paddock being the drill shed. The startline was alongside the Education Block with the first turn just before the Gym.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2990597)   #38
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic Ed View Post
How do all. Chasewater is now part of the M6 toll road. Part of the original site is still there but its very hard to pick out on google earth. The club is still going though and are looking for a new site. if you know of one in the same area then they would love to hear about it.
Donington on the other hand is an interesting thing. I am lead to believe that there was a kart circuit there in the early 60's on what is now the Melbourne loop. The British Historic kart club are staging an event on the loop this spring at the historic festival and were planning on holding the first world championships for historic karts there.
This has been strained a bit by the FIA who are putting pressure on the event to change the name as they believe they own the words "world" and "championship". No matter what name it ends up as, the event will still go ahead.
Pop along if you can.

There used to be a circuit at Long Lawford years ago but I think it was in the days when you went round bales on an old airfield.
Thats if there is still a BHKC next year.. maybe a thread on abandoned clubs??
Old 23 Nov 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2990674)   #39
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revracing View Post
I used to love racing at Langaugh, had some excellent racing and wins there.... shame it was lost...

There's a track in Rochester (kent) that never really got going, was a good circuit too.

I also remember a track in Serberton, it was right in the middle of a housing estate.

Is the kart track at Snetterton still there? I seem to recall it shutting down..
I raced at the first meeting at the Rochester track, I think it only had a couple of meetings before a noise complaint was upheld and it closed down. You are right it was an excellent track and I recall figures of £100k being banded around to launch it.

As for Surbiton it was virtually in people's back gardens!
Old 23 Nov 2011, 23:37 (Ref:2990677)   #40
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Surbiton is still there, in fact its virtually in my Nans backyard as she lives in Cromwell rd http://www.surbiton-raceway.co.uk/
Old 24 Nov 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2990785)   #41
crossle51f
Rookie

crossle51f should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
disused kart tracks

Eelmore Plain near Aldershot springs to mind.

rkl
Old 24 Nov 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2990934)   #42
classic Ed
Rookie

classic Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Thats if there is still a BHKC next year.. maybe a thread on abandoned clubs??

The BHKC will still be going for many years yet.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2991016)   #43
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic Ed View Post
The BHKC will still be going for many years yet.
As long as it doesnt go past Dec 31st 1982 of course. I havent read up this week, hows all the shennanigans going over there?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2991017)   #44
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossle51f View Post
Eelmore Plain near Aldershot springs to mind.

rkl
Is that the military base where they run rallys nowadays? Just down by Liphook roundabout there?

ah no its not,nearer to M3, Ive seen it before think they do driving lessons etc there now
Old 5 Mar 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3035414)   #45
Ayrton5enna
Rookie

Ayrton5enna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Playscape raceway STREATHAM. First indoor kart circuit in UK if i can remember. It has now been demolished to be replaced by tesco.
This company was also the founders of club100 before they stupidly sold it.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3035490)   #46
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well its not exactly an abandoned track as it was a temporary circuit but looking back it had some note as to the way karting was brought to the mass market..............

I raced at he very first "corporate" racing event on a temporary track in Camberwell, not the bus garage that came later, but in the walled area of the local park.

One side of the track has chain link fencing and people wandering in the park stopped to stare, they had not seen anything like it!

I seem to recall it was organised by Bob Pope who had acquired/ borrowed the kart's following school use which he was involved in.

I got my employer to sponsor the team I was in and we won the event.

The first event lead to another shortly after and "corporate" karting as we know it had been born.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3035553)   #47
alfaracer156
Rookie

Ireland
Royston,Herts
alfaracer156 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nuthampstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart_racer View Post
Nuthampstead was a funny old circuit. Surely the smallest in the country. I wonder if it is still there.

I only did my Novice races there and one full plate race as a kid, the competition wasn't up to much really. (It was only a small friendly club to be fair)
The track is closed now.I did my first ever race there in 1966. Still go past it to the local pub which is still open. Mike