Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 27 May 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2886584)   #1
R26 Rob
Rookie

R26 Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to karting

Alrite , I want to start racing and not having the biggest wallet in the world I thought I would have a look at karting , then came across superkarts which I have never heard of until now.. And they look awesome ! I was wondering if there's anywhere in the north west of England where you guys have meets ? I would like to come down and have a look and a chat. Like isay I no nothing. Just a few quick questions , I take it you will need a national b race licence and is this the same one for cars ? Roughly what price are we talking for a good race ready kart ad running costs? Cheers
Old 27 May 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2886586)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Not knowing alot about Superkarts, i can't help too much.

I would start by looking at: http://www.superkart.org.uk/

Try and get along to some meetings.

However, i would say that jumping straight into Superkarts is a bit of a radical step. In terms of safety and expendature. They are fancy bits of kit and by no means 'off the shelf'. Perhaps get to grips with a simplier, slower, cheaper machine for a year or two by way of preparation?

My two-penneth.

Cheers

Peat
Old 27 May 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2886621)   #3
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darley Moor in the Midlands has a superkart school and they also hold monthly race meetings.
Old 27 May 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2886627)   #4
R26 Rob
Rookie

Ok cheers, just need to find out where the meetings are held and was wondering if anyone on here was into this from my area. As I say i just want to start racing and thought maybe this is the easiest way to get started a less powerfull machine makes sense to start off , there's a school at darley Moore which I think I will try and go to next week to see if it suits me 150 for half day in a 125 geared kart looks good and hopefully will learn a lot and see if it's for me or wether to stick with the good old car
Old 27 May 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2886644)   #5
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there, I actually race Superkarts (long circuits) and can safely say they offer unparalled excitement!

Firstly, I would very much recommend going to Darley Moor as suggested for that half day there. It is classed as a long circuit, but doesnt feature in the MSA British Superkart Championship, but is a great place to start long circuit karting.

Superkarts can be raced on short circuits which do indeed require a National B licence which is different to a car one I believe, but it is very easy to obtain. They dont have a massive turnout on short circuits however (especially 250s who struggle for numbers) but on long circuits there have been full grids of 48 karts (at Snetterton and Silverstone.) In order to race long circuits, you need a National A licence which requires 6 events on short circuits at 3 different tracks (6 events total, not 18).

As far as going straight into Superkarts, if you think you can do it, go for it! Perhaps get a cheap 125 outfit for your short circuit races, but 125s are not well supported on long circuits - if this is where you wanted to be. Darley Moor will allow you to see what a 125 is like on a long circuit.

In terms of budget involved, for a 250 (long circuits) you can pick up an outfit with all you need for about £3000 (a competitive one!) and I would say you can run competitively in a season for about £5000 a year. Short circuits are cheaper, but nowhere near as much fun in my opinion, for example you dont get to average 115MPH round Thruxton for example or take Copse flat out at 120MPH!

Overall, I love racing Superkarts, the atmosphere is very friendly, always someone to help (even closest competitors) or lend you parts etc. We always have a good laugh. But on track the racing is intense, but also very fair. 48 karts racing at once is quite a spectacle! Age ranges from me (18) to someone who is 63, so Superkarts are for everyone!

Here is an example video of me at Snetterton Qualy. www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXVLivRyPk

We will be (I wont be, I have the small matter of some A levels to do) at Donington on the 18/19th June, feel free to come along (I can probably get you a free ticket...)

Any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 27 May 2011, 11:00 (Ref:2886646)   #6
bendy
Rookie

Oh and as far as meetings near you are concerned, I dont know about short circuits I am afraid, but we will be at Oulton in late September...

Actually, there is a 125 meeting this weekend at Oulton!! Go along and ask for some advice, although not as fast as 250s, they still have very good races.
Old 27 May 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2886759)   #7
R26 Rob
Rookie

Ok thanks for your help I'm mega egar to get involved. But if there are hardly any meets up this way I'll be finding it hard. Midlands is it bit far but don't mind now and then . I'll defo be going oulton this weekend see what info I can gather , was there last weekend and I'm going next weekend for btcc , it's like my second home . Also if I've never raced befor and go in for my national b is it then ok to jump stright it for a race or is a lot of practice required ? Also do you have to do another test for national a or is it automatic after x amount of race's
Old 27 May 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2886766)   #8
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
not to put you off but what have you raced before??? maybe it would be better starting in 2 stroke karting like tkm or rotax first at a local track, then progress up to superkarts....even tkm and rotax are really quick and arent easy to drive...superkarts are mental!
Old 27 May 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2886772)   #9
bendy
Rookie

Who wouldnt be eager?! It's Superkarts! Does travelling really put you off? If you get to long circuits, there are about 7 meetings a year ranging from Oulton to Cadwell to Thruxton and (occassionally Croft).

Good to hear youre going to Oulton, go and find the Superkart camp (lovely Ford Transit van...) and ask, mention my name if you want (Ben Davis). Most of the guys who run it are ex racers so they will definitely be able to help, plus the COC may well be the person who runs Darley Moor... Pity I wont be there, apologies!

To get a National B, you have to pass an ARKS test (which you can do at Darley) which is really very easy. Then you can just race at short circuits, but you start of the back of the grid for a few races.

If you havent raced before, I would strongly recommend doing as many practice sessions as you can, be it simply in arrive and drive karts, or test days before race weekends on short circuits. I would also avoid buying a 250 straight off, they are quite difficult to drive, 125s are a little easier, just see how confident you feel after that day at Darley. I did just 5 race meetings in a Junior TKM before I first drove a 250 and picked it up quite quickly, long circuit racing takes a little while longer though.

National A you can apply for after 6 race meetings which includes races at 3 different short circuits. Then you become a long circuit "novice" which means nothing apart from you run with a black cross on your numberplate just to let others know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
not to put you off but what have you raced before??? maybe it would be better starting in 2 stroke karting like tkm or rotax first at a local track, then progress up to superkarts....even tkm and rotax are really quick and arent easy to drive...superkarts are mental!
I take offence!! Mental?! Like I said, go to Darley, and if you feel confident, perhaps race 125s for a year on short circuits, see how you get on then go from there. But I agree, jumping straight into a 250 on long circuits with potentially 47 other people racing would be dangerous, hence the licencing system!

Let us know what you think of the 125s at Oulton, but it's good to hear some interest in Superkarts, most people either havent heard of them (and therefore think slow arrive and drive karts), or think theyre for old men.
Old 28 May 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2887244)   #10
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Oulton today, and although I didn't pick up any time sheets the faster of the karts were doing 1:24 second laps, or thereabouts on the Island Bend circuit. The meeting was a little under subscribed and they let some single cylinder 250 karts run amid the 125's. It was one of those that I clocked, and that won. I myself have raced Special GT, Special Saloon and National F3, and currently have an F3000, but I came from a kart background, many many years ago. I decided whilst still racing in F3 to buy a current 125 Open gearbox kart. I can honestly say the racing was closer, the driving more demanding, and the thrill greater in the short circuit kart. It actually made me quicker in F3, due to the sheer pressure of staying on top of a short circuit gearbox kart amid big grids. DO NOT understimate how quick even a 125 gearbox kart is, and 250 Superkarts are just plain *awesome*. I have had two very handy racer friends have a go in the kart, and both came out of it a little shaken. The only reason I stopped was because driving standards on short circuits were becoming, in my opinion and experience, poor to dangerous, with lots of unnecessary and costly damage. Speaking to some of the participants today it seems as if the short circuit situation has worsened, not improved, since "my day", which is saddening. I think you will find it an eye opener, and you may well find that if you do get a Superkart you will need to be looking at very expensive "proper" race cars to get a similar excitement, if you choose to migrate to full size race machinery. Good luck, let us know what you think please.
Old 28 May 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2887251)   #11
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I think i need to get involved in this party too. It just all looks too mega not to have a go at least.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2987813)   #12
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When the NKF came to my local circuit this year, a competitor was telling me the 125icc's are quicker than 250's on many circuits.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 05:41 (Ref:2990744)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart_racer View Post
When the NKF came to my local circuit this year, a competitor was telling me the 125icc's are quicker than 250's on many circuits.
Last time out at Forest Edge a DD2 Max that Prokart engineering run in Europe came second against the might of the 250's...
Old 24 Nov 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2990808)   #14
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Last time out at Forest Edge a DD2 Max that Prokart engineering run in Europe came second against the might of the 250's...

I'm sure it did. A DD Max is not as fast as a KZ.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2991040)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart_racer View Post
I'm sure it did. A DD Max is not as fast as a KZ.

I think the sticky tyres helped but two gears and 33hp quicker than a 250?
http://www.karting.co.uk/tstp/RaceRe...0030&RC=549638
Old 25 Nov 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2991344)   #16
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I think the sticky tyres helped but two gears and 33hp quicker than a 250?
http://www.karting.co.uk/tstp/RaceRe...0030&RC=549638

I'm confused mate,
KZ is not the same as a DD max. You seem to be refering to the Rotax,
Old 10 Apr 2012, 20:46 (Ref:3056761)   #17
danemsteve
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
danemsteve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't start out in a superkart yet there quite costly go with a pro-kart for a small while due to not costing a lot in rebuilds and last quite long or you can go with rotax or tkm both you can race msa