Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 21 Dec 2002, 00:08 (Ref:454580)   #51
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very sad news indeed, I didnt really see alot of his racing only a few BTCC races but enjoyed what I did see , a sad day not only in motorsport but life in general.

he will be greatly missed.

RIP WILL
Old 21 Dec 2002, 00:18 (Ref:454591)   #52
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I never met Will while he was racing, i did have the opportunity to chat with him whilst he was doing a Motorsport programme on Hillclimbing at Prescott. neither he or any of his film crew gave any of us on post the mearest hint of trouble and he went out of his way to make sure that they were not "in-our-way" during the meeting. As had been said previously, Motorsport has lost a true gentleman and is that much poorer because of it.

My condolences to his wife and family, for what they are worth, but i truly feel sorry for British Motorsport. We have lost as much as his family have.

RIP Will.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 00:22 (Ref:454595)   #53
shinchley
Rookie

Wales
Attleborough (Norwich), UK
shinchley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just been out with my mates havig a good time
Then i read this , it brings me back down to earth . it is not fair , Will was one of a kind , and i will always look up to him . I just cant beleave it ...

Lets all just spair a moment to remember him ....

RIP WILL, A TRUE BTCC LEGEND.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 00:58 (Ref:454619)   #54
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news, Condolences to his family and freinds.

The world is now 1 more Touring Car driver short.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 06:53 (Ref:454733)   #55
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All my thoughts go to Will's family at such a sensitive time of year. A Character who will be greatly missed amongst the touring car world and who's legacy of being one of the 'good old boys' from the 90's will live on. Life is so hard.....
Old 21 Dec 2002, 07:21 (Ref:454740)   #56
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attached Thumbnails
will.jpg  
Old 21 Dec 2002, 10:29 (Ref:454779)   #57
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A genuinely nice guy, he'll be much missed.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 10:44 (Ref:454783)   #58
Cosworth_RS
Racer

Cosworth_RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible News

Rest In Peace Will.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 11:28 (Ref:454801)   #59
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Terrible news indeed- condolences to Will's family and friends. There's never a good time of year to lose someone, but somehow it seems worse at Christmas when it's supposed to be a happy time for everyone.....

I've been watching Will race for close to 20 years, and remeber him as much as a sportscar racer as for his BTCC achievements- I think the first time I saw him drive was at Silverstone in 1985 (about the second meeting I ever went to) in one of Roy Baker's Group C Tiga-Fords. Sadly, Roy also passed away earlier this week. RIP to them both- two of the true gentlemen of the sport
Old 21 Dec 2002, 12:23 (Ref:454837)   #60
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sit hear with tears rolling down my face, remembering the personal message I received from Will when I was in hospital after suffering a stroke, and also the great greeting at my first meeting after recovery. A great and wonderfull man,who will be sorely missed both as a person and as a driver.
REST IN PEACE WILL!!
Old 21 Dec 2002, 12:31 (Ref:454841)   #61
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only just seen the news on Autosport, I can only echo the sentiments already expressed, and the shock of it all. He'll be greatly missed by many, and my heart goes out to his family. To lose someone at this time of year is one of the very cruellest tricks that life can play.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 13:39 (Ref:454872)   #62
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just heard on Radio 5 Live. Sad, sad news.

Sincerest condolences to Will's family and his many friends.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 14:28 (Ref:454886)   #63
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He will always exist in thousands of memories. A fine chappy and a great motorsport driver.

Thoughts and prayers to Will's family. I, and so many others are thinking of you during this difficult time.

*Hugs*
Old 21 Dec 2002, 16:09 (Ref:454933)   #64
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Jackie and I had the pleasure of working with Will in 1995-1997 as members of the merchandising units that supported him at BTCC rounds, and he was always a gentleman, signing autographs and having the time to answer any question asked.

And after my own marshalling accident in 2000, we met up at Goodwood and he was so pleased that I'd started the road to recovery.

This is indeed a sad loss at so early an age. To his wife and family, we aso wish to add our deepest sympathies at this time. He will be sorely missed.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 16:33 (Ref:454940)   #65
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will was a person who brought character to the pit lane like no other. A truely great racer and human being. The last time I saw him race was the 1999 final of BTCC that great scrap with Neal, Radermecker and Muller in sub standard machinery showed his talent.
But also this year he stayed among the BTCC with Arena motorsport and
his enthusiastic commentry kept us listening.
Will you'll be deeply missed.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 17:57 (Ref:454975)   #66
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
this news is a total shock to the system. RIP Will Hoy.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 18:28 (Ref:454986)   #67
bingleton
Rookie

bingleton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very sad loss . British motorsport has lost a great driver , character and a gentleman on and off the track .
Old 21 Dec 2002, 19:53 (Ref:455021)   #68
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I met Will on a couple of occasions, but the time/image that sticks in my mind at the moment was when I met him at Silverstine, and Mansell was racing, all the fans, were chasing Nige, and there was Will, sat alone on a chair just outside the garage with a smile on his face, greeting anyone who walked past. Anytime he was asked for an autograph he would ablige with a wide smile. Which these days is quite rare.

Although it wasn't the greatest race I've ever seen, his win in the Mondeo at Silverstone, was a stunning drive, considering the car, the conditions, and the huge margin he pulled out over the rest, without mistake.

RIP Will- Not only a great racer, but a great bloke!

Last edited by Reido Rules; 21 Dec 2002 at 19:55.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 21:39 (Ref:455052)   #69
flags
Racer

Wales
aberdare.south wales
flags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm saddened by the terrible news,a great bloke and a real gentleman.he will be missed by everyone who ever met him or watched him compete.my sympathy to his family and friends...byron matthews
Old 21 Dec 2002, 21:54 (Ref:455062)   #70
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is really sad news

Will, it has to be said, was one of the nicest blokes to ever grace a touring car grid.... A gentleman in a sea of premadonna's.

My favourite memories of him will be the marvelous insights into racing that he gave through commentating on TV and watching him from the trackside give his all, and embarasing quite a few other much fancied runners, in an un-competetive Laguna at Thruxton.

All of my condolences and thoughts are with his nearest and dearest.

RIP Will.... The sport has lost a true hero

Last edited by MGF; 21 Dec 2002 at 21:54.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 22:25 (Ref:455086)   #71
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am shocked and saddened by this news. I would like to offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

He was one of a rare breed. A fighter in the car, but a real nice bloke outside it.

Will, you will be sorely missed..

Last edited by Spudgun; 21 Dec 2002 at 22:26.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 23:09 (Ref:455107)   #72
Griffin
Rookie

Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only just heard the news. Such a sad loss of a great man and racing driver.

Condolences to all his family and friends.
Old 21 Dec 2002, 23:53 (Ref:455132)   #73
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such a shame. i can sympathise with his family, cause I'm in a similar place at the moment. Will will be sorely missed.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 06:40 (Ref:455294)   #74
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

1991 was the first time i had seen very much of the BTCC, the first time the review video was available in Australia. I was very impressed by his dominence of the 1991 season, and it's shame that he wasn't able to add to the tally, as he proved many times that he was one of the better drivers in the BTCC. Silverstone 1998 as Michael H mentioned was a fantastic drive.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 10:58 (Ref:455373)   #75
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've only just heard this news, and had not even known he was ill. Usually when you hear of the death of a famous person, there is merely an acknowledgement of the fact, perhaps some good thoughts about what they've done. A few, very few, make you sit down with a genuine feeling of loss, and Will is in that category.

I was fortunate to have met Will on three brief occasions and he was always friendly and approachable. Once was on the grid immediately before the first race of the Touring Car season. When all the other drivers seemed to be uptight and nervous, Will was calm and relaxed. Sitting in his Mondeo, he had the tallest "Grid Girl" you've ever seen standing in front of him, such that the only view he had was from the top of her boots to the bottom of her shorts. He called me over and asked if I knew what the competition had been, because he had clearly won!

In a sport where drivers are categorised as either 'Professional' or 'Gentleman' Will was one of the very few who were genuinely both. He will be much missed. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.