Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:51 (Ref:530992)   #26
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rest In Peace Barry.

Thanks for the memories.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:53 (Ref:530994)   #27
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
sad day for all motorsport fans indeed , Barry will remain a prominent figure in many of our memories.

May he rest in peace forever.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:53 (Ref:530995)   #28
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is so depressing, my wife and i are devastated that he is gone and we will have a drink in his memory tonite.
For years we looked forward to his commentary as we followed the career of Mick Doohan and the insight and knowledge he had were fantastic . So many times you would hear Barry read the race and say he thought this was about to happen and 9 times out of ten he was right on the money.
Condolences to his wife and children, the world has lost a very special person today.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:54 (Ref:530996)   #29
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sincere condolences to his wife and children.
Hope they have good race meetings up there Baz.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:54 (Ref:530997)   #30
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sincere condolences to his friends & family, it is truly a sad day for the world of motorsport.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:55 (Ref:530998)   #31
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rest In Peace Baz
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:55 (Ref:530999)   #32
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
agreed Jonesy , a sad day indeed , he will live on in our memories forever and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

RIP Barry , thanks for the memories.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:03 (Ref:531003)   #33
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A man that showed no fear but alas a race he did not win.
To Barry's wife and two children our thoughts are with you.
Barry you will be sadly missed, your colourful commentry and no holds bar attitude made viewing interesting.

RIP Barry.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:11 (Ref:531007)   #34
Alan Jones
Veteran

RIP Barry.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:14 (Ref:531008)   #35
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've already posted on two other threads here, but this is shattering news. I am gonna miss Barry. My thoughts are with his family.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:16 (Ref:531010)   #36
Alan Jones
Veteran

I remember how good he was before he was gagged by the V8 supercar producers after the first year or two of his trademark style of commentating. His ability to say it just like it is, with no BS to the fans was IMO one of his most endearing qualities. What a sad day.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:23 (Ref:531018)   #37
Alan Jones
Veteran

Feel like we have lost one of our own,RIP Barry.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:33 (Ref:531025)   #38
pauldavid
Racer

pauldavid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This news comes at such a bad time, after losing a friend at the bemsee meeting yesterday.
Me and the wife knew Barry quite well,as he only lived down the road from us in Charlwood,We were wandering around town with my wife 9 months pregnant when we bumped into him, he was without doubt one of the most aproachable people you could meet. We chatted about bikes, shopping and other such topics and after a while the wife started to feel a bit uncomfortable so we departed. Anyway 24 hours later our son was born, and we named him "Barry" what else.
Our thoughts go out to his family friends and indeed everone who knew him, a brave man ,saddly missed.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:33 (Ref:531026)   #39
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was lucky enough to meet Barry on numerous occasions as he lived only a couple of miles away in Charlwood. He was a very genuine guy and could often be seen sitting in the car reading comics while Steph did the shopping. On visits to his home he always took the time to chat, the most memorable was a christmas eve when we chatted over coffee about his truck racing, and watched his beautiful wife stuffing the turkey.

Rest in peace. You will be missed.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:38 (Ref:531028)   #40
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barry Sheene Passes Away

I do not take joy in being the bearer of bad news, but I just heard on SBS World Sport that Barry Sheene has passed away. He will be sorely missed. My condolences to his family, friends and the racing community.

Last edited by Langers; 10 Mar 2003 at 08:42.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:46 (Ref:531031)   #41
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah no! there goes a legend - always a happy chappy with a brilliant sense of humour, a great competitor and a knowledgeable commentator.

As someone else noted here, this could be the reason that gerhard Berger has chucked it in, to spend more time with his family. Berger and Sheen were close friends. Sheen knew and was liked by the whole paddock, not only in F1, but the touring cars and his beloved bikes.

Ciao BS
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:49 (Ref:531033)   #42
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We knew it was coming, but it doesn't remotely make it easier to bear.

I saw him regularly at Goodwood, where he raced vintage Nortons with every bit of the tiger spirit of his heyday. Even as late as last September, he won a race, and the crowd gave him a standing ovation. They already knew what he was fighting. The sight of Barry and Wayne Gardner congratulating one another and "high-five"-ing on the cooling lap will stay with me forever.

God bless you, Barry.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:49 (Ref:531034)   #43
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMG that was so quick

thank you barry
xx
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:54 (Ref:531038)   #44
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news indeed.

R I P
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:56 (Ref:531042)   #45
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just heard this myself.......terrible news !..I watched Barry race a Norton at Goodwood revival few 3 years ago........and he just thrashed them all......in the end , he was slowing down on the main straight so they could all catch up again , and then he blew them all away again....

He will be very much missed indeed.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:56 (Ref:531043)   #46
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legend
Attached Thumbnails
barry_sheene_3.jpg  
Old 10 Mar 2003, 08:58 (Ref:531044)   #47
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm old enough to remember him at the time.

A real racer and a real character.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 09:10 (Ref:531053)   #48
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bye Barry.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 09:11 (Ref:531056)   #49
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Jones
Feel like we have lost one of our own,RIP Barry.
Couldnt have put it better myself.

Very Sad News

Baz will be missed for his Unique Commentary and Antics on and off the track. A gentleman a Comedian and a Damn Good Bloke . My Memories of Baz in the Hotel Foyer at Darwin in 2002 will at least put a smile on the dial at such a sad time.

I hope they have a national Holiday in respect of him and his contribution to Australia as a Sports Person, Ambassador and Personality.

RIP Baz We Miss You.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 09:39 (Ref:531076)   #50
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(From ninemsncom.au)

Bike champ Barry Sheene dies

He was a carefree Cockney who could fling a growling, bucking motorbike around with more panache and abandon than anyone.

In the rugged, bone-cracking world of grand prix motorcycle racing, Barry Sheene was a happy-go-lucky hero without ego or pretension.

Sheene, who passed away on the Gold Coast on Monday after a battle with stomach and throat cancer, was British by birth but Australian by nature.

To help his arthritis the 51-year-old traded in the grey skies of England for the golden coastline of Queensland in the early 1990s.

His two world 500cc championship titles in 1976-77 were testament to an innate talent while his frequent trips to the hospital pointed to reckless bravery.

As if to relieve the pressure of teetering on that fine line between staying ahead and staying alive, Sheene enjoyed life to the full off the track as a fun-loving spirit.

With fellow party-seeker, the ex-Ferrari Formula One driver Gerhard Berger, he represented the last remnants of the fast-lane lifestyle epitomised by the former F1 champion James Hunt.

Barry Sheene smoked, he drank, he arrived at racetracks in white limousines with a model on each arm.

He seemed, at least in his early days, to expose himself to as much danger off the track as he did on it.

For Sheene, the monotonous existence of diet, exercise and abstinence - now virtually compulsory among grand prix racers - was not for him.

Nor were generic comments. His language was as spicy as his life and he took pride in getting to the point right away.

Born in London in 1950, Sheene became interested in motor bikes at the age of five when his father Frank built him his first bike.

He was a professional racer by 1968 and in the following two years collected the British 750cc title.

Apart from his two world 500cc championships, Sheene had, from 1975-82 won more international 500cc and 750cc grand prix titles than any other rider.

He was to lose out to American Kenny Roberts in 1978 and 1979, when he fell out of favour with Suzuki.

He struggled as a privateer in 1980 before winning a works ride with Yamaha in 1981 and 1982.

At practice for the 1982 British GP at Silverstone Sheene was lucky to escape with his life after ploughing into a stranded Yamaha on the track at 160mph.

He was to return to racing but by that stage his body was a network of nuts and bolts and factory teams would not take a risk with him.

His colourful lifestyle and distinctive accent attracted television to motor cycle racing as he was sought out for commercials and appearances on prime-time programs.

Sheene had appeared at Covent Garden in the opera Tosca with Maria Callas and worked regularly on the popular UK ITV Network show `Just Amazing'.

He was awarded an MBE for his contribution to motorsport in 1978.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Sport/story_46561.asp