Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 9 Sep 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1705797)   #251
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go here for some video tributes for Brocky

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 9 Sep 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1705822)   #252
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies Henk, see http://gearheadcity.com/brock2.htm as it seems the seppo Peter Brock (I have read a few of his articles in US motoring magazines, but didnt know he was a driver/designer) was instrumental in the production of the original car. The one our (Aussie) Brock was driving was an Aussie built replica, one of the gents who started Motec I believe is in charge of the production, however I may be wrong.

Interestingly there was one having a battle with a GT40 Ford replica in the wet sportscar race today at Sandown.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1705839)   #253
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Apologies Henk, see http://gearheadcity.com/brock2.htm as it seems the seppo Peter Brock (I have read a few of his articles in US motoring magazines, but didnt know he was a driver/designer) was instrumental in the production of the original car. The one our (Aussie) Brock was driving was an Aussie built replica, one of the gents who started Motec I believe is in charge of the production, however I may be wrong.

Interestingly there was one having a battle with a GT40 Ford replica in the wet sportscar race today at Sandown.

No problem, the Cobra GT is a very popular replica. See also the Superperformance versions. Even if they put a Chevy engine in there, it still sounds odd to hear the car being called a Chevy.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1705873)   #254
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like all of the other posts I am devastated and having trouble coming to terms with Brocks death. I think it has been said before, but he was a great driver and an even greater man.

Watching some of the video tribute around you can see that he was having a great time racing all sorts of vehicles in the last few years. Such a tragedy that an innocuous (? spelling) road rally claims his life when he took much greater risks over the years in some of the machinery he drove on the track.

It is not going to seem the same driving into Bathurst this year.

Visit www.peterbrock.com.au

I'd encourage everyone who reads this post to become a member of the Peter Brock Foundation as a tribute to the man and the great, often unheralded work, that he did away from the track.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1705888)   #255
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a message. Peter wouldn't wanted us to be upset about his passing, he'd probely wanted to go this way and he'd would wanted us to rember the good times you guys and girls shared with the great man.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1705895)   #256
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've spent all day looking thru pictures and watching old Bathurst videos. My folks gave me an old Rank Arena b&w tv as a kid and being brought up in WA I'd get up at the crack of dawn to watch the start of Bathurst and wouldn't move from the floor all day.

This photo seems to sum up Brocky perfectly. Always there for the fans..

Old 9 Sep 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1705897)   #257
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am in the process of moving house and was looking at the signed and framed poster depicting his 9 Bathurst victories last week. It somehow now seems a lot more cherished and will definitely not sit idle in the garage in future, but take pride of place in the new home or in the office.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1705911)   #258
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We only just finished setting up a sort of shrine of Brock- 8 signed pictures of his cars, 1 of himself, a set of HRT bathurst cars from 2004, and three Bathurst 1000 beer mugs. Looks great, I guess it's good we set it up when we did.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 9 Sep 2006, 14:12 (Ref:1705921)   #259
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been a pretty tough weekend for all of us. It was only less than 3 weeks ago that I stood in Swanston street with Brock after he had done what was to be his final major TV studio interview.
" Thanks for coming in, have fun at Goodwood" I said.
"Mate I intend to."
We shook hands and he turned to walk away before stopping.
"You going to Buller?" he said.
"Yeah probablly"
"I'll see you there then."
With that he turned away again and walked back to his car as I went down stairs to the studio.
And that was the last time I saw Peter Brock.
Last night with great sadness and I'm not ashamed to say more than just a few tears I deleted his number from my mobile phone.
All the accolades for the driver, and more importantly for the man he had become are very much deserved. It was an enourmous honour to have known him. For Melbourne viewers the interview will be on this tuesday night, some of it may screen on a Channel 7 tribute which I think will be on Sunday night sometime. I will try and get it up on-line via the In Pit Lane website ASAP. Right now though I'm sort of struggling to do much of anything. I would just back up the call from someone that as a tribute a donation to the Peter Brock foundation would be a great gesture and one he would very much appreciate.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1705923)   #260
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, that is a brilliant idea inpitlane. How aobut it folks, let's show our support and make a donation to the Peter Brock Foundation, I'm sure that is what he would want.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 9 Sep 2006, 15:22 (Ref:1705943)   #261
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Last night with great sadness and I'm not ashamed to say more than just a few tears I deleted his number from my mobile phone.
ipl...yeah mate it's ok because there are being plenty of tears shed around at my place too...it's just too hard to believe.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 9 Sep 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1706099)   #262
COOPERMAN
Rookie

COOPERMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still can't believe he has gone! i found out about his passing on here and it came as a big shock to the system seen as i was watching him only a week ago at the goodwood revival, and from where i was standing at lavant corner the corvette stingray in which he was competing in during the tt celebration expired he pulled off in front of me got out and watched the rest of the race on the giant tv screen! that and the flying holden fx his was piloting on saturday in the st marys trophy race! it's so sad that australia has lost two of it's icons in the space of a week, my sympathy goes to his family and friends he was a gentleman and a scholar!
Old 9 Sep 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1706110)   #263
COOPERMAN
Rookie

COOPERMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He stayed on after the event had finished? ...now's there's a true gentleman when most other proffesional racers might have been long gone he stayed on at the staff thankyou lunch...that's Peter Perfect alright.... RIP Peter Brock Could we have a minutes silence at next years revival for him?? seen as this tragedy happened so soon after the event he was so clearly loving!
Old 9 Sep 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1706126)   #264
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Peter Brock, the Australian Dale Earnhardt Sr....

RIP
Old 10 Sep 2006, 03:40 (Ref:1706323)   #265
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Oh Mate of all the things in this thread that was one of the toughest things for me to read , we are all feeling the pain but for you and others that personally knew him my total heartfelt condolences.

Last edited by marcus; 10 Sep 2006 at 03:42.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 05:32 (Ref:1706345)   #266
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are very few people in the world I idolize.

Brock was one of them.

My homepage is yahoo.com.au and after a long 17 hour day at work I booted up the computer to respond to an email quickly before going to bed and what did I see "State Funeral for Brock" complete with picture. Like Steve Irwin earlier this week, I thought it had to be a joke but it was for real. I didn't even have time to deal with it because I had to get up early for work again.

Brock is right, Live your Dreams. We really don't have control over almost anything, so within reason and without being reckless I think one has to go out and live their dreams and through that one really finds inner peace and happiness.

Today I almost died in a car smash when I was run off the road by a tractor trailer. The whole thing happened in a few seconds and if I hadn't been on the ball, I would have been dead. Fortunately, I sensed something was wrong and took appropriate action. A similar thing that happened to me, happened to Peter yesterday only with tragic results. It really happens that fast and sometimes you are in the right place and sometimes not.

I'm very sad, but I have that same optimism for the future Peter had. He will always be in my memory.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 05:38 (Ref:1706346)   #267
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i said earlier on in the thread, I am a Ford man but i admired Brock as a driver and a bloke.

I just went for a drive around Mount Panorama and there were 6 cars stopped on the track at Brock Skyline with a few others in the car park there. There are flowers and photos on the wall and people have signed there names and left messages on the wall.
My 6 year old asked what was going on and I explained to her what happened and who had died. She replied, "I know him, we have seen him at the race cars, that makes me sad that he has died". Now that bought a few tears to my eyes!

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 10 Sep 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1706372)   #268
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
As i said earlier on in the thread, I am a Ford man but i admired Brock as a driver and a bloke.
That's right, whether you were a Holden or Ford fan how could you not admire him?

He made motor racing in Australia what it is today: A classic Holden vs. Ford battle. Without him to move motor racing forward we would still be back in the stone ages. I still can't believe he is gone.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1706497)   #269
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was working at Sandown this weekend and was proud to be a member of the crowd at the tribute/rememberance held yesterday afternoon.

Not long after a few of us were chatting to Jon Davison and the suggestion popped up that the State Funeral should be held at Sandown as it was a perfect place for it being Peter's home track and the Grandstand would allow 8000 people to be there instead of just a couple of hundred if it was held in town somewhere. Davo grabbed his mobile and made some calls and offered Sandown immediately so hopefully in a few days time when it's arranged it will happen at Sandown.

I also said to Davo that if he needed help on the day that his Sandown officials would no doubt help out so guys be warned, it's the least we could do for a true legend of our sport.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1706523)   #270
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you
Tell you I need you
Tell you I set you apart

Tell me your secrets
And ask me your questions
Oh let's go back to the start

Running in circles
Coming up tails
Heads on a silence apart

Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard

Oh take me back to the start

I was just guessing
At numbers and figures
Pulling your puzzles apart

Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart

Tell me you love me
Come back and haunt me
Oh and I rush to the start

Running in circles
Chasing our tails
Coming back as we are

Nobody said it was easy
Oh it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard

I'm going back to the start

RIP Brocky, my hero

Last edited by ozrevhead; 10 Sep 2006 at 10:49.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1706525)   #271
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I still cannot believe this. What a dreadful way to close a terrible week for all Australians.

One fitting tribute would be to name the Bathurst 1000, the Peter Brock 1000. Whether you were a Ford or a Holden fan, you would have to lay homage to the fact that he was king of that mountain.

RIP Peter, you'll be missed more than you could ever have imagined.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1706541)   #272
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Davo grabbed his mobile and made some calls and offered Sandown immediately so hopefully in a few days time when it's arranged it will happen at Sandown.
Thanks, I hope it's held at Sandown.

Although, regardless of where it will be held, I'll be in attendance to pay my last respects.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1706653)   #273
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
I'll pull Heaven and Earth to get there, don't you worry about that.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1707286)   #274
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
I was working at Sandown this weekend and was proud to be a member of the crowd at the tribute/rememberance held yesterday afternoon.

Not long after a few of us were chatting to Jon Davison and the suggestion popped up that the State Funeral should be held at Sandown as it was a perfect place for it being Peter's home track and the Grandstand would allow 8000 people to be there instead of just a couple of hundred if it was held in town somewhere. Davo grabbed his mobile and made some calls and offered Sandown immediately so hopefully in a few days time when it's arranged it will happen at Sandown.

I also said to Davo that if he needed help on the day that his Sandown officials would no doubt help out so guys be warned, it's the least we could do for a true legend of our sport.

click here

Quote:
A memorial service at the Sandown racing circuit in Melbourne is among proposals to be considered and fans at Sunday's Phillip Island Moto GP will be able to pay their respects with the unveiling of a plaque in recognition of Brock's contribution to his sport.
Quote:
Brock's long-time publicist and friend, Tim Pemberton, said while funeral details were yet to be determined by the family, a memorial event at a Victorian track could be on the cards. "There's some talk about some sort of event at Sandown," he said.

"Whether that happens or not I don't know . . . but it's an appropriate place."

Grand Prix chief Ron Walker said he would look at naming part of the Albert Park circuit or a race during the Grand Prix after Brock.

Quote:
The motor racing community will use this year's Bathurst event on October 8 to pay tribute to Brock and a record crowd of up to 100,000 people is expected.

Old 10 Sep 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1707293)   #275
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
click here

From our kiwi brothers....

Quote:
Kiwis mourn Brock

New Zealand motorsport stars Jason Richards and Greg Murphy have echoed sentiments from Australian drivers for the late Peter Brock, saying he was a hero to all aspiring race car drivers and the reason why many took up the sport.

Brock, nicknamed 'Peter Perfect' for his record nine wins at the Bathurst 1000, was tragically killed when his car slammed into a tree while he was competing in the Targa West Rally in Western Australia on Friday.

The motor racing community is still coming to grips with the loss of one of their most inspirational drivers, with Richards paying credit to the fine nature of Peter Brock - the man - away from the race track.

"He was one of the gentlemen of Australian motorsport and sport in general in Australasia," said Richards. "He was just as big in New Zealand as he was in Australia."

"He always used to write 'follow your dreams' on his autographs and that was something I picked up from him. I've learnt that from him in order to become a more complete racing driver and his on-track achievements are something only a man could wish for.

"With Bathurst around the corner, Peter will be sadly missed. It just won't be Bathurst without Brock."

Murphy, who was a co-driver with Brock from 1995 to 1997, supported Richards' comments saying 'Brocky' was the reason he became hooked on motorsport.

"I'm absolutely shattered," said Murphy. "Peter was my childhood hero. I always had the number '05' on my go karts when I was a kid."

"The 1984 Bathurst race that he won in the day-glow HDT Commodore was what got me hooked on motorsport when I was young."

"To then go on and be team-mates with Peter was a dream come true for me."

"The Bathurst 24 Hour victory that I shared with him, his last major win, in 2003, is one of the highlights of my life."

"It was already a sad week for Australia with the death of Steve Irwin but this just makes it even worse."