Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 Feb 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2836788)   #26
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From '83 to '93 results the only all-female team I can find is Clare Redgrave / Kirsten Kolby / Barbara Babbage in the Civic in '93. They were pretty competitive, finishing 4th overall. Sorry, Richard, not much help to you!

I'll find time to scan in the results one day....

Syd - am I right to recall reading that the Commodore was 3rd, but that the 2nd-placed BMW was disqualified as well. Something about running a head that was legal when it was in County, but not in line with "production"?
Old 26 Feb 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2837161)   #27
Syd Fox
Rookie

Syd Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
From '83 to '93 results the only all-female team I can find is Clare Redgrave / Kirsten Kolby / Barbara Babbage in the Civic in '93. They were pretty competitive, finishing 4th overall. Sorry, Richard, not much help to you!

I'll find time to scan in the results one day....

Syd - am I right to recall reading that the Commodore was 3rd, but that the 2nd-placed BMW was disqualified as well. Something about running a head that was legal when it was in County, but not in line with "production"?
Hi Tim,News of a BMW being in front of the Commodore is news to me as we were always winning races at that time.We finished 1st overall after the Morgan was disqualified.Perhaps someone has a finishing list available for the 1982 24hrs ? I wont be able to verify this until I,m back in the U/K.
Whatever,we won and the recordings shown should be altered.Syd.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2837163)   #28
Syd Fox
Rookie

Hi Tim,.I,m not aware of a BMW being in front of our Commodore in the 1982 Snetterton 24hrs.at that time the Commodore
was a winner.Perhaps someone can produce a result sheet,I cant verify this until I get back to the U/K.Anyway we finished 1st and all reports should be amended.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2837859)   #29
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Syd - nice to hear from you, happy memories of watching you and my late father do battle in prod saloons in the early '80s.
The John Clark, Andrew Jeffrey, Hamish Irvine and Gerry Marshall-driven BMW definitely finished second on the road (funnily enough Barrie Williams reminded me of it last Wednesday, as he actually drove the car in practice but didn't race as him and Dad had a disagreement) - I'll try and remember to can the results sheets in for you.
Cheers.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2837999)   #30
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody got any videos to sell? Ive got 86,87,88 and 89.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 28 Feb 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2838033)   #31
GBRM
Veteran

England
I have '81, '82, '84 and '86 on video and DVD - if I knew how to copy them I would!!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2838628)   #32
BILTEL
Racer

England
Mmmm I'd like the early ones Gregor. Our paths crossed twice last week at Brands and Race retro. I can copy vhs to dvd. Or you can link vcr to vcr with the right cables. Let me know if you do copy them, I'm very happy to pay for them.

I have a video of Gerry and Tony around 85/86 with the Monza, RS Turbo and Nova.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
Old 2 Mar 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2838953)   #33
GBRM
Veteran

England
Well I should be at Silverstone for the BTCC press day - go for a hat-trick?!

I just don't have the technology to copy stuff unfortunately but am more than happy for someone to point me in the right direction - the tape from the '82 Willhire is very good as Bob the fish interviews quite a few of the drivers about Prod Saloon motor racing in general.

Sounds like your video is from 1986 - Vinatage G(erry) and T(ony).
Old 2 Mar 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2839244)   #34
BILTEL
Racer

England
Thats the one!!
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
Old 9 Mar 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2842713)   #35
Syd Fox
Rookie

Hi Gregor,
Gerry was more than life size in many ways ! Are you sure that your talking about the 1982 24hrs? My memory says that there wasnt a BMW that year,could you be talking about 1983? Anyway I will check up when I get back to the U/K.I only
competed during 80,81 and 82
Regards,
Syd.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2843861)   #36
GBRM
Veteran

England
Hi Syd, good to hear from you and hope all is well.
Yes, definitely 1982, as in '80 and '81 Dad did it in Capris (2nd both times and the '81 Capri is the one Skid now races - it was rolled by David da Costa during the night) and Dad was supposed to do it in '82 with Skid but the sponsorship fell through at the last minute so Dad did it with John Clark in an ex-County car and then in '83 he did it again in his Capri and '84 in the Opel Monza.
I remember a video from the start with everyone in parc farme (I think 1983) with Dad in a Cowboy hat and I think you're asleep in a Commodore - unfortunately since Dad passed away I can't find the video but it was a prop one, I think the late Brian Kriesky made it.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2845512)   #37
Syd Fox
Rookie

Hi Gregor,I,ve seen the start sheet for the 1982 Willhire 24hrs and you are correct although I would like to see the result sheet,I think I may have the Autosport reportback in the U/K.The thing that puzzles me is why we never met up with this BMW323 before ? Was this specially built for that race or was it from another Saloon Car Formula and got disqualified on some technicallity?I,m sure you will bring me up to date.One last question (on this subject),The Morgan and the BMW were disqualified,how do we get the advertised results changed?
Syd.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 14:13 (Ref:2845521)   #38
GBRM
Veteran

England
Hi Syd
I have the race reports, results etc at home - I will try and remember to bring them into the office to scan.
The BM was an ex-County car that John Clark had for sale a tthe time and I'm fairly sure the organisers asked them to enter to make up the numbers but then decided to disqualify them on a technicality, even though they knew what was being entered.
As for the historic results, not sure if anything can be changed - I'll see if I've got the next couple of weeks Autosports as something was probably published.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2845528)   #39
smchale
Rookie

smchale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1982 Willhire

Syd, your correct both Morgan and BMW were subsequently excluded from the results that year, the Morgan had illegal cams and the BMW was a county challenge car with modified cam suspension etc, Jock Robertson and I therefore should be shown as coming second overall in my VW Sirocco a couple of laps behind you.
Gregor I lost my VHS tape of the 1982 race so if you ever find your dads one It would nice to have a copy on DVD
Old 14 Mar 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2845537)   #40
GBRM
Veteran

England
Hi Steve, hope you're well.
I have a video/DVD that is over two hours that Bob "the fish" presented and made - it's not the official one but it's very good and Bob's pretty funny.
There's not much action, probably only 20 mins, the rest is interviews of Dad, Tony L, Skid, Jess Yates, some marshals, St.John's Ambulance people and the prize-giving.
I'll see if I can get it copied or next time you're over my way you can have a look.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2845689)   #41
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM View Post
As for the historic results, not sure if anything can be changed - I'll see if I've got the next couple of weeks Autosports as something was probably published.
There was, which I reckon is as good as it's going to get for a race run nearly 30 years ago. The article mentioned the two cars (and another - 5th place finisher, maybe?) being excluded. There was a letter in the next issue from the team running the Morgan, as they claimed to have run the car as standard from Morgan (and it was a Morgan-supported team) and the technicality was a mis-interpretation of the spec sheet, or something along those lines.

The whole issue was going to appeal, but I can't find a final decision on the matter.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2846162)   #42
Syd Fox
Rookie

Thanks to all of you clearing up on a subject which has been "bouncing my brain "for years and has now been resolved,as already mentioned,why were the results not clarified a long time ago?Whatever,it,s made a good topic and I have made some good contacts from it.
Syd.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2846338)   #43
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smchale View Post
Syd, your correct both Morgan and BMW were subsequently excluded from the results that year, the Morgan had illegal cams and the BMW was a county challenge car with modified cam suspension etc, Jock Robertson and I therefore should be shown as coming second overall in my VW Sirocco a couple of laps behind you.
Gregor I lost my VHS tape of the 1982 race so if you ever find your dads one It would nice to have a copy on DVD
Put me down for that as well !
Old 16 Mar 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2847004)   #44
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi folks,great little thread getting going here covering probably one of my all time
favourite events.Had i passed my driving test before 1985, i'm sure i would have
attended more than 9 willhires (1986-94).I was a Capri devotee from the early 70's,
spectating at Silverstone/Brands GP's, TT's at Silverstone,BSCC and ETC at
Donington also.The Willhire 24 hours at Snett,WOW!,sitting in the old Bombhole
grandstand as it got dark.cars with I.D. lights on,brake-discs glowing in the dark
was just awesome.Happy days and nights,shame it had to end.Anyhow,as one or two of you may know i still own an ex-Willhire 24 hour finisher,the Capri of Bob
sutton,only problem is i am not sure which year the car competed in the race,or
which Production Saloon championship(s) it was run in around that time.To help
jog any memories the car was painted in the Union Jack colours of Suttons Transport.I think the year was possibly 1981 or 82 but dont know who the co-drivers were,although if the car was part of a multi-car team there would just be a team of 3-5 drivers i guess.Any help would be appreciated,photos,videos,DVD.
I have competed in the car myself from 1993-2000 in Road Saloons,Classic Gp1,still have the old girl and hope to restore her for the future,Classic Production Saloons anyone?Just while i think Gregor,your dad was fantastic after starting from the pit lane in the Monza in `86,he drove it like he was in a 10 lapper! That first stint was a memory of Gerry i will carry forever,would have been great if the car had lasted i am sure they could have won it.Skid had early problems,fuel pump change i think and got back up to 3rd or 4th at the finish,just shows it might have been possible.There was a chap i raced against(both of us in Capris) for some time,who
who had the 1986 Willhire 2nd placed Capri 2.8i of Roy Eaton,Dave Oates,John Clark.Last i heard that it had met with the Armco at Eau Rouge after a tyre failure some years ago.I also bought a Capri racecar from a chap in Norfolk who had got himself another Capri 3.0 previously.i did some digging and spoke to the guy he bought it from when it was raced in Road Saloons,turns out i recognised the car,registration and i am sure it was Graham `Skid`Scarboroughs old Prod-Saloon from 1982/83,Video Wizard(?) which would have been a Willhire 24 hour contender itself.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2932130)   #45
oldfan
Rookie

oldfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a car ownerdriver and would love to get hold of a copy of the video for 1983 Willhire, I was in the white Opal Commador, one of the last times the car was entered any pics or information please.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2933969)   #46
BILTEL
Racer

England
Opel Commadore, nice. Any word on video/dvds?
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2934110)   #47
GBRM
Veteran

England
If I get the videos transferred onto DVD has anyone got any thoughts on costs? Am happy to do it at cost but I don't want to be seen to take the p!!
PM me if if you'd prefer.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3344278)   #48
mcqueen917
Rookie

mcqueen917 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok Yah Capri

Well, now's the time to show everyone the finished (finally) 1985 Willhire Winning Ford Capri nicknamed 'Ok Yah'
Due to other projects it was sidelined in the workshop for a few months but since being at MASS Racing the car has been finished and all those niggles from 22 years laid up in a barn have been sorted and it all works.
Here are some photos of the finished car plus an original shot from 1985. I've restored it to as near as it would have been in that race having had all the stickers remade and the interior refitted to its race details. This car became a road car in ther late 1980's early 90's before being laid up and was retro fitted with an interior which I've stripped out. I've got loads of photos but hopefully these enclosed ones will bring back some memories.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
11.jpg   Willhire 24hr winner 1985 - original photo.jpg   Interior.jpg  

r2.jpg   446.jpg  
Old 16 Dec 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3344586)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff. Would be a good entry for the 360.
Old 23 Sep 2020, 13:54 (Ref:4005845)   #50
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While well past it's sell buy date, I wonder if anyone could let me have copies of programme. entry list/ results of the 1981and 1982 editions of the Willhire for an article I am writing for publication?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Bauble.