Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 14 Nov 2008, 03:24 (Ref:2334648)   #26
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Double headers are now common - it doesn't matter who is the lead - everyone will have a different opinion.

Wonder on the format of the weekend itself - on the Sunday is it likely they will go A1 sprint, final race v8s (the other on Sat), A1 feature -

or keep the v8s till last again...
Old 14 Nov 2008, 03:41 (Ref:2334650)   #27
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'm betting the V8's will stay last. The organizers don't want to see half empty stands for the 'premire' race of the weekend.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 06:24 (Ref:2334682)   #28
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On a less cynical note the Taxis were dropped to aftre the Indy cars on Sunday because of the habit of the Coast in providing a late storm.
Americans in general did not like racing open wheelers in the rain.
Lets face it, a V8 Taxi is a better place to be in a rain or hail storm than in an open car.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 06:40 (Ref:2334691)   #29
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP and the v8s are both classes as the main races. It was the same when Indycar was there.
Old 15 Nov 2008, 01:10 (Ref:2335135)   #30
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After a week or complaining about the loss of the "Indy" cars the Gold Coast Bulletin today has come on stream with a positive spin on the A1GP cars.
The magic word Ferrari has had a bit to do with that apparently.
They have also done a recall article on the original Benowa street circuit and talked to a few people who are in the know instead of just the knockers.
Roll on October next year, should be a great weekend.
Old 15 Nov 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2335305)   #31
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. A1GP will be fantastic at Surfers Paradise. Will be very good to watch with the V8's!
Old 17 Nov 2008, 04:41 (Ref:2336176)   #32
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look what happens when you get two imovable and obstinate forces (George and Cochrane) to the negotiating table...

My biggest disappointment is the fact that the IRL brought a field of thoroughly professional teams with at least half the field being truly professional drivers. Dixon, Franchitti, Castroneves, Kanaan, Briscoe, Wheldon, Junqueira, Servia, Wilson, Power, Hunter-Reay, Meira and Tagliani are all pretty close to the finished product as far as drivers are concerned - you're always pretty convinced a group like that can put on a good show.

The A1GP guys are all largely up-and-comers and some of them are frankly verging on embarassing at times - I don't think it will be anywhere near as professional or interesting as the IndyCars.

Will still be good to watch - but not as good.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 07:28 (Ref:2336202)   #33
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
My biggest disappointment is the fact that the IRL brought a field of thoroughly professional teams with at least half the field being truly professional drivers. Dixon, Franchitti, Castroneves, Kanaan, Briscoe, Wheldon, Junqueira, Servia, Wilson, Power, Hunter-Reay, Meira and Tagliani are all pretty close to the finished product as far as drivers are concerned - you're always pretty convinced a group like that can put on a good show.

The A1GP guys are all largely up-and-comers and some of them are frankly verging on embarassing at times - I don't think it will be anywhere near as professional or interesting as the IndyCars.
First to admit I am biased in this case, but gee I find your comments harsh...

Junqueira and Hunter-Reay were nowhere in A1GP. Briscoe was top six but didn't win. Marco Andretti was midfield last weekend and don't even get me started on Indy 500 winner Buddy Rice...

Of the only current field only Hwang from South Korea would be completely out of his depth (as he is in A1GP), Khan and Hermanto would be at the back but would not disgrace themselves. Morad was pretty decent in Atlantics I am told but is near the back in A1GP (going by last weekend).

Neel Jani and Adam Carroll would be looking to win in the IRL first time out, Doornbos was Champcar rookie of the year, Bamber was a close second on his GP2 debut...others on here can no doubt add further examples.

...and by the way am expecting Danica Patrick to be well and truely found out when she tries A1GP.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2336663)   #34
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you find my comments harsh, you must be biased...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Junqueira and Hunter-Reay were nowhere in A1GP. Briscoe was top six but didn't win. Marco Andretti was midfield last weekend and don't even get me started on Indy 500 winner Buddy Rice...
Well, for a start I didn't even mention Andretti or Rice in my list of "more complete" drivers, as I don't think they are.

Secondly, Junqueira has been a regular challenger for wins in Champ Car (against some impressive talent) for many years, almost picked up a championship and won the F3000 title. Hunter-Reay, while not his biggest fan, has mixed it with name drivers (usually in lesser machinery) for many years.

That the did not cover themselves in glory in just a couple of A1GP races does not diminish the rest of their careers to date.

As for Briscoe - he is a former F1 test driver, EuroF3 champion, and multiple IRL race winner that turned his back on an F1 drive to join Ganassi. And outside of Briscoe and Power, who has managed to get the Australian car anywhere near the podium on merit?

Quote:
Of the only current field only Hwang from South Korea would be completely out of his depth (as he is in A1GP), Khan and Hermanto would be at the back but would not disgrace themselves. Morad was pretty decent in Atlantics I am told but is near the back in A1GP (going by last weekend

Neel Jani and Adam Carroll would be looking to win in the IRL first time out, Doornbos was Champcar rookie of the year, Bamber was a close second on his GP2 debut...others on here can no doubt add further examples.
Of the drivers confirmed for Sepang, I reckon only Jani, Carroll, Duval and Watts would be certainties to mix it near the front of the IRL field. Maybe add Bleekemolen, Zaugg, Karthikeyan, Bamber, Piccione and Martin on the odd good day.

There is no comparison.

Quote:
...and by the way am expecting Danica Patrick to be well and truely found out when she tries A1GP.
Danica Patrick does not accurately represent the driving abilities of the IRL - did you see Surfers Paradise? Whenever she has to turn both ways it gets embarassing. That's like using Hwang as the representative for A1GP talent.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2336760)   #35
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Secondly, Junqueira has been a regular challenger for wins in Champ Car (against some impressive talent) for many years, almost picked up a championship and won the F3000 title. Hunter-Reay, while not his biggest fan, has mixed it with name drivers (usually in lesser machinery) for many years.

That the did not cover themselves in glory in just a couple of A1GP races does not diminish the rest of their careers to date.

As for Briscoe - he is a former F1 test driver, EuroF3 champion, and multiple IRL race winner that turned his back on an F1 drive to join Ganassi. And outside of Briscoe and Power, who has managed to get the Australian car anywhere near the podium on merit?
I agree that these three are very good drivers. And the fact that they did not waltz in to A1GP and win certainly does not diminish the rest of their careers. It does however suggest that the A1GP is of sufficient quality that it should not be taken lightly.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 04:00 (Ref:2336771)   #36
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I agree that these three are very good drivers. And the fact that they did not waltz in to A1GP and win certainly does not diminish the rest of their careers. It does however suggest that the A1GP is of sufficient quality that it should not be taken lightly.
I think the driver quality overall surpasses the irl, plus the cars are about 10 times better to watch and listen to, so I think the public will enjoy the A1 more.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2337072)   #37
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how the IRL car sounds, but the new car sounds like a GT car.. not that it's bad.. far from it.. but don't expect a high pitched shrill anymore
Old 22 Nov 2008, 05:44 (Ref:2339325)   #38
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
It's now officially signed off: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...top-story.html
Old 15 Feb 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2398120)   #39
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New title for the Surfer's Paradise event to be revealed on Tuesday...
Old 17 Feb 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2398831)   #40
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
According to Mnews the new title of the Surfers Paradise round will be
'[insert naming rights sponsors name] SuperGP' a mix of the A1GP and V8 Supercar titles. Not bad. Cant find anything on the A1 site though.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 03:26 (Ref:2398837)   #41
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The site is now up www.supergp.com
Old 17 Feb 2009, 03:44 (Ref:2398840)   #42
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
That's actually a really catchy title. I have a feeling most people will still call it "Indy" though.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 03:48 (Ref:2398842)   #43
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
True that Matt, I'll always call it Indy because it's more or less the same event (open wheelers and the V8s) and the majority of people will still refer to it as Indy not SuperGP. When I think SuperGP I think SuperGT, wish we had a round of that in Aus, that would be great!!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2398873)   #44
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said mac.
Back to the somewhat underwhelming new title - don't think too many headache pills would've been consumed in the coming up with that.
Anyone who thinks this one's going to be around in 5 years needs a reality check too.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:02 (Ref:2447495)   #45
bigdog
Rookie

bigdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a POWER injection for SuperGP??

With the unfortunate timing of the Penske dramas, could we wish for a possible star apperance of Will Power to drive for Team OZ on the Gold Coast???

Imagine the extra press and exposure as well as the chance for Team Oz to really by a contender...
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:55 (Ref:2447514)   #46
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
With the unfortunate timing of the Penske dramas, could we wish for a possible star apperance of Will Power to drive for Team OZ on the Gold Coast???

Imagine the extra press and exposure as well as the chance for Team Oz to really by a contender...
That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard Helio Castroneves would return: Will Power to A1 team Australia

In the meantime, John Martin did a shakedown of the 'new' Superleague engine for team Glasgow Rangers.
Old 28 Aug 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2530113)   #47
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the track is getting built at the moement so this is going to be a spectacle to watch.... I wonder how many will crash out in the fisrt corner?
Old 18 Sep 2009, 03:42 (Ref:2543196)   #48
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
It seems a few teams think the race will happen:

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

and I see the V8 fraternity are still missing the point.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2543507)   #49
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cars still locked-up in London currently pending payment of previous shipping bills...
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Old 18 Sep 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2543587)   #50
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The whole point of the exercise was to bring masses of tourists to the Gold Coast like the Indy car race did,tens of thousands of Kiwis went across for the Indy Cars.
Just 4 weeks out from the 'race' theres absolutely no information about whats actually happening so how do they expect people to book holidays for an event the appears to be unlikely to happen.People I know that went over to the Indy cars are not even interested in going back now.
The V8s are the main attracting draw card,the A1GP would be seen as a support race,and you only have to look at the poor crowd numbers at the NZ A1 race compared with the huge crowds at the NZ V8 round to see how huge the V8's are down here.