Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Oct 2022, 14:00 (Ref:4129719)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
TCR World Tour 2023 (formerly known as WTCR)

Let's open a new thread for the 2023 WTCR season.

The AUVO (El Pinar owners) have said that they would host a round on August 6, with Termas de Rio Hondo on August 20.

That's if they continue rebuilding the racetrack, which requires government subsidies. The government has said that they will not invest on temporary facilities, which definitely excludes a street race.

http://www.motoresenpunta.com/pinar-6-de-agosto/
Old 14 Oct 2022, 09:31 (Ref:4130220)   #2
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA WTCR won´t exist in it´s Format in 2023. The Series will end after 2022. For 2023 a "One-Off"-Event is planned.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...2022-campaign/
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...t-format-2023/
Old 14 Oct 2022, 10:00 (Ref:4130226)   #3
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looool the guy genuinely thinks the fuel they use is the reason for the problems they have https://twitter.com/autosport/status...bt5Vn3vk600ENA
Old 14 Oct 2022, 10:04 (Ref:4130228)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
So basically a return to the World Cup style event from the mid 90s. Hopefully better attended and better promoted that the FIA Motorsports Games which has a similar format of drivers representing national teams.
Old 14 Oct 2022, 13:01 (Ref:4130264)   #5
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
So basically a return to the World Cup style event from the mid 90s. Hopefully better attended and better promoted that the FIA Motorsports Games which has a similar format of drivers representing national teams.
With DSE at the helm? Unlikely. It's absolutely staggering that their incompetence has killed a series which was very healthy just a few years ago. And before anyone mentions COVID or Russia, other series of comparable standing have survived.
Old 14 Oct 2022, 13:19 (Ref:4130271)   #6
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^

the series wasn't healthy since 2008
Old 14 Oct 2022, 15:26 (Ref:4130284)   #7
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Enjoy the 15 car race with participants decided by a system that only mathematicians can work out https://twitter.com/neilhudson/statu...nsRz9x79oxutPQ
Old 14 Oct 2022, 16:19 (Ref:4130290)   #8
TuteZaek
Racer

TuteZaek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Enjoy the 15 car race with participants decided by a system that only mathematicians can work out https://twitter.com/neilhudson/statu...nsRz9x79oxutPQ
It's a joke right?

Lets say that some of the actual top WCTR drivers go...say five.
Then every regional champion (Europe, Asia, South America...) and maybe a pair of runner ups...
And thats it, maybe a National Champion

Thats if we forget about the manufacturers support for certain drivers...

Yeah, thats gonna work so ok that it will become the okaiest thing ever....
Old 14 Oct 2022, 18:02 (Ref:4130298)   #9
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The series has needed to be put out of its misery for a while now, and I don't think the previous rules (TC1?) were any better when it was the WTCC which ultimately means its down to poor management despite them blaming fuel and whatever questionable justifications they come up with.

(Covid aside), For me the championship hasn't lived up to the status of being a world series for a long time now - cars, choice of tracks, manufacturer driven politics, the issues with the tyres, the way the BOP can mean a car can go from the front to the back of the grid almost from one race weekend to the next, the poor TV coverage and promotion from Discovery/ Eurosport.

Hopefully the force for a rethink will mean something better can be created - even if it takes a few years for it to grow again.
Old 14 Oct 2022, 20:18 (Ref:4130310)   #10
porsche962fan
Veteran

Tom Coronel doesn't have kind words for it
Old 15 Oct 2022, 13:39 (Ref:4130380)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Wise decision. Manufacturers should put their money into eTCR.
Old 15 Oct 2022, 13:41 (Ref:4130381)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Tom Coronel doesn't have kind words for it
I agree with him.
(https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...nd-tcr-future/)
Old 16 Oct 2022, 13:35 (Ref:4130494)   #13
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said as always, Tom...I'm glad to hear that he's committed to racing for a few more years, we need more honest and passionate racers like him.

I kind of like the idea of the 'World Tour', although I would have preferred it be left as an open-entry single-race 'World Cup' and, given how series that have adopted a similar format like Formula Ford EuroCup and BeNeLux TCR recently turned out, I'm concerned as to how well it will actually work. Fingers crossed...
Old 16 Oct 2022, 16:49 (Ref:4130509)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
Well said as always, Tom...I'm glad to hear that he's committed to racing for a few more years, we need more honest and passionate racers like him.

I kind of like the idea of the 'World Tour', although I would have preferred it be left as an open-entry single-race 'World Cup' and, given how series that have adopted a similar format like Formula Ford EuroCup and BeNeLux TCR recently turned out, I'm concerned as to how well it will actually work. Fingers crossed...
Agree about the open-entry formula, on the other hand if they manage to get the best drivers of the national/regional series which results in a full grid there's no need for open entry drivers. If they are good they are already invited.

It will be interesting to see if the drivers like Girolami, Ehrlacher, Huff turn up in a TCR series.
Old 16 Oct 2022, 17:20 (Ref:4130510)   #15
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
It will be interesting to see if the drivers like Girolami, Ehrlacher, Huff turn up in a TCR series.
TCR Europe could get quite a boost next year then! ETCR too if there are any more cars joining the grid.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 08:30 (Ref:4130565)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think a world cup like they did with Super Touring in the mid 90s might be the best way to go. It's clear WTCR needs a miracle to keep going as a championship
Old 18 Oct 2022, 07:42 (Ref:4130672)   #17
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is the consequence of the hypocrisy that wtcr promoters continued to repeat everyone about the fact that it was a champions without entrance of manufucatures... when it was clear that it was not like that

another big bull**it is the BOP! Is there BOP in f1? is there BOP in wrc? there is just in WEC/GT and it has sense because every manufacture who compete there bring a different type of engine!

i always said that we must let enter manufacture officially in this serie! it's a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP so it's normal that we must have official cars, teams and drivers and ofc also private team and drivers!

as Coronel said why if he has a DNF and another driver with the same his car win the race the following round all drivers of the same car must be penalized with extra kg or by BOP???

Maybe i make things to easy but in my opinion this is how things HAD TO BE DONE:
1 allow entrance to manufactures official without a limit of cars with a minimum of two cars
2 organize 2/3 sessions of test where all teams and driver partecipates! NO PRIVATE TEST for anyone! all manufactures, team and drivers must have same possibility to develop the car
3 no BOP but a weight compensation for the top 5 drivers in each race (25kg - 20 - 15 - 10 - 5), the extra weight will be add in the following round!
4 stop of those S**T of races inside city! they are BORING, NOT spectacular at all and most important in case of crash it would cost lots money to repair them!
5 Bring the championship where there is passion for these type of races! 2 rounds in south america (brazil and argentina) in the opening season, 6 rounds in europe and finish the season in asia with 3 rounds in Japan, China and Macau (i'm not such a big fan of this street circuit but let's say that it can be considered the Montecarlo of Touring cars)
6 one qualify session of 30 minutes. the top 10 drivers will compete for the Pole Position! one single lap for each drivers and 2 points given for the driver who make pole.
7 two races on sunday of 75km one in the morning and one in the afternoon to allow team to repair cars in case of damage or engine problems.
8 all manufactures must sign a multiple years of contract (from 2 to 3 years) to partecipation to the championship.

this would be my idea of a world touring car championship!
Old 18 Oct 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4130675)   #18
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe, Touring car world championships are a problem since the 80s.
Even with Grp. A it was a big political thing, and of course Touring cars are different around the world (America, Australia, Europe), so there can't be a match.

In a way, the Super Touring approach of the mid 90s was closest to a real world-wide series, because even in USA/AUS there were these cars on sale for street use. TCR base cars are mainly made for Europe/Asia, some brands even don't sell in USA/AUS.

European Championship might be the biggest possible approach, but even then you need different budgets regarding your origin (scandinavian racers need to travel more for mainly south-european races).

I think it is a good idea, to count a world-ranking based on local series. If it will work, is something to test.

Maybe it will be a good way, to bring more cars in local TCR-series, if you can earn points even there.
Old 18 Oct 2022, 14:08 (Ref:4130726)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The 1987 WTCC could have worked, if they hadn't let Bernie get involved with it. It was clear he only cared about F1, so it was obvious he was only there to screw the championship

It's true though that the main problem is so many tin top series run to different regs and not every country has TCR as the main Touring car championship. Like with Britain, Australia and until recently, Germany
Old 18 Oct 2022, 17:15 (Ref:4130747)   #20
TuteZaek
Racer

TuteZaek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
Maybe it will be a good way, to bring more cars in local TCR-series, if you can earn points even there.
I don't know why, but this sounds, to me, as the ATP circuit on tennis.... and is kinda interesting.

Points awarded for different races, and a final race with the top scorers at the end of the season.
Old 21 Oct 2022, 06:47 (Ref:4130940)   #21
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The 1987 WTCC could have worked, if they hadn't let Bernie get involved with it. It was clear he only cared about F1, so it was obvious he was only there to screw the championship

It's true though that the main problem is so many tin top series run to different regs and not every country has TCR as the main Touring car championship. Like with Britain, Australia and until recently, Germany

I don't think so. Normal aspirated 2,3l BMW against 2.0l Turbocharged Ford and 1,8l Turbocharged Alfas - there is always the need for BOP throught weight and air-restriction. No one will ever be happy with it.

I still believe the 2.0l Super Touring was most equal, except of different driven axles...
Old 21 Oct 2022, 08:44 (Ref:4130949)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

The ETCC worked for a long time. There's no reason why the original WTCC couldn't have worked, if only for a bit if it had been managed properly
Old 21 Oct 2022, 14:26 (Ref:4130994)   #23
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah ETCC was around for nearly a quarter of a century, then Bernie came along and international touring car racing was dead within the span of 2 years.

I am intrigued by this new World Tour format. Seems similar to the old European Rally Championship.

Last edited by pimmy; 21 Oct 2022 at 14:31.
Old 22 Oct 2022, 13:29 (Ref:4131070)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The ETCC worked for a long time. There's no reason why the original WTCC couldn't have worked, if only for a bit if it had been managed properly
I think the FIA together with SEAT effectively killed the WTCC after the TDi debacle.
Old 22 Oct 2022, 16:26 (Ref:4131080)   #25
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Yeah ETCC was around for nearly a quarter of a century, then Bernie came along and international touring car racing was dead within the span of 2 years.
Bernie was the Grim Reaper of good Motorsport, as Group C WSC had same fate and later the DTM/ ITC and to a degree BPR Global GT when it was transformed into FIA GT as the FIA took control and made everything worse