Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 May 2023, 10:27 (Ref:4156365)   #26
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Yep, Snetterton, I last went in 2015, it’s a pain to get to, has minimal high fences so photography is still possible.
I've not been to Snetterton since they changed the layout - how is it in general for photography now? The lack of fences is a plus - have the layout changes added good public photography spots? BTCC meetings are generally a bit of a challenge from a photography point of view as the bigger crowds mean that the 'good spots' get busy - with the lack of fences does Snetterton offer decent variety?
Old 16 May 2023, 10:44 (Ref:4156368)   #27
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I miss the scary tree.

Old 16 May 2023, 15:13 (Ref:4156423)   #28
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I've not been to Snetterton since they changed the layout - how is it in general for photography now? The lack of fences is a plus - have the layout changes added good public photography spots? BTCC meetings are generally a bit of a challenge from a photography point of view as the bigger crowds mean that the 'good spots' get busy - with the lack of fences does Snetterton offer decent variety?
It’s good. I’m not sure if they were there pre-changes but there’s at least 3 artificial mounds which offer elevated viewing, one of this is at Agostini, right at the innermost point in the circuit. Of all the airfield circuits, that’s the best viewing spot you’ll find in my experience.
Old 17 May 2023, 05:10 (Ref:4156498)   #29
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Yep, Snetterton, I last went in 2015, it’s a pain to get to, has minimal high fences so photography is still possible.
How is it a pain to get to?
Old 17 May 2023, 06:41 (Ref:4156502)   #30
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Absolutely. I haven't been for about 15 years, but I gather the road network has improve massively since the changes at Elveden.
Old 17 May 2023, 07:50 (Ref:4156507)   #31
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Because its out on a limb in the east of the country with only a dual carriageway to get to it. Its a right pain for anyone north of Peterborough. As the "short" route down takes you on a lot of single carriageway roads where you inevitably get stuck behind a tractor or a convoy of slow moving trucks with no way to get past.
Old 17 May 2023, 08:37 (Ref:4156521)   #32
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Because its out on a limb in the east of the country with only a dual carriageway to get to it. Its a right pain for anyone north of Peterborough. As the "short" route down takes you on a lot of single carriageway roads where you inevitably get stuck behind a tractor or a convoy of slow moving trucks with no way to get past.

To be fair, the dual carriageway takes you pretty much to the gate. If anything, the likes of Croft, Oulton Park and Knockhill are more difficult to get to in that sense.
Old 17 May 2023, 09:06 (Ref:4156524)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's nice to know it's easy to get to, so that's one less thing to worry about for me. I know how hard it is to get into some circuits. Never been to Croft, but have been to Oulton and that being situated where it is means it's bound to be a bit jammed. Knockhill is one that would be fun to go to

Anyway, I look forward to going to Snetterton for the first time this weekend.
Old 17 May 2023, 09:46 (Ref:4156530)   #34
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I took a few pics back in 2014, ive attached a couple here. I think what is key (for me) is to be on level ground with the cars so that I get some sky and crowd and advert hoardings in etc. If the photo position is too high up I don't think its conductive to producing good photos (at least for me), luckily the ground is all pretty level at Snetterton.

btcc2 by bjl_uk, on Flickr

btcc1 by bjl_uk, on Flickr
Old 17 May 2023, 12:01 (Ref:4156556)   #35
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
To be fair, the dual carriageway takes you pretty much to the gate. If anything, the likes of Croft, Oulton Park and Knockhill are more difficult to get to in that sense.
Different strokes for different people. I can get to Knockhill quicker than Snetterton from Halifax. And Knockhill is further away.
Old 17 May 2023, 14:50 (Ref:4156579)   #36
v8supes
Racer

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im glad they are getting this one out of the way early. A terrible race track imo. The old layout was more entertaining but still not all that.
Old 17 May 2023, 16:29 (Ref:4156607)   #37
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry, but being a bit old I am a little confused here. Mention is being made about old and new track, but does this refer to the track as I knew it back in the 1960s with the ultra long Norwich Straight ending in a tight-ish hairpin - not nearly as tight as Druids or the one at Mallory - or was there an older version in what is referred to as the 300 track?
Old 17 May 2023, 19:07 (Ref:4156626)   #38
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Sorry, but being a bit old I am a little confused here. Mention is being made about old and new track, but does this refer to the track as I knew it back in the 1960s with the ultra long Norwich Straight ending in a tight-ish hairpin - not nearly as tight as Druids or the one at Mallory - or was there an older version in what is referred to as the 300 track?
Probably the version that ran from the 80's (or a bit before when Russel chicane wasn't as tight apparently) until it was completely rebuilt a few years ago. The previous version is essentially the same as what is now known as the 200 layout, but with a couple of slight changes at Wilson/Montreal/Sear (the 2nd turn) and the Russell/Murrays chicane

The 200 layout
The previous layout
(hopefully these work)
Old 17 May 2023, 20:36 (Ref:4156637)   #39
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Fair point, I know the route you mean and it is a right pain. At least now the A11 is completely dual carriageway, I can remember sitting on the access road out of Snetterton for 4+ hours leaving BTCC in 1994 when it went straight out onto the single carriageway either no roundabout or slip road and you literally had to wait for a gap in the traffic
Old 17 May 2023, 21:49 (Ref:4156640)   #40
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Probably the version that ran from the 80's (or a bit before when Russel chicane wasn't as tight apparently) until it was completely rebuilt a few years ago. The previous version is essentially the same as what is now known as the 200 layout, but with a couple of slight changes at Wilson/Montreal/Sear (the 2nd turn) and the Russell/Murrays chicane

The 200 layout
The previous layout
(hopefully these work)
'A few years ago' is now, shockingly, over 13 years ago! They completed the new layout in 2010.
Old 18 May 2023, 06:22 (Ref:4156664)   #41
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Knockhill is one that would be fun to go to
Knockhill is a great circuit for spectating, if you go into the middle of the circuit there are points where you can almost see the whole track without moving.

And watching from the bottom of Duffus Dip is amazing, you don't realise how steep it is on telly.

Getting there can be a faff, but it's worth the journey.
Old 18 May 2023, 07:00 (Ref:4156666)   #42
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton is easily accessable from the M6, M1 and A1 - you use the A14 to Cambridge then the A11. All nice dual carriage ways now, the A14/A1 interchange has been massively improved now so no need to stop at a roundabout. The A14/M11 interchange has had big changes in recent years too. The only issue that exists along the route is the Barton Mills/Five Ways roundabout which can build up a lot during busy times.
Old 18 May 2023, 07:06 (Ref:4156668)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviePHD View Post
Knockhill is a great circuit for spectating, if you go into the middle of the circuit there are points where you can almost see the whole track without moving.

And watching from the bottom of Duffus Dip is amazing, you don't realise how steep it is on telly.

Getting there can be a faff, but it's worth the journey.
I probably could go there, but I would probably need to make it into a bit of a holiday. Luckily I have family in Scotland
Old 18 May 2023, 11:39 (Ref:4156692)   #44
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find Snetterton to be one of the better tracks for photography, but I don't really bother on race day, gets too crowded. Around Bombhole and Brundle on the outside, overlooking Agostini and Murrays I'll do on Sat. Sunday I'll probably pitch a chair overlooking Bentley and stay all day. It's rubbish for pictures though.

I understand the pain (and ease) of getting to Snett from the North. Last year my SatNav forgot about the A1 to A11/A14 and I ended up going through Huntingdon and Cambridge which was a pain, so for the TCR race this year I went via Sleaford and Kings Lynn with it being shorter. What a Effing nightmare. Using Google aps this weekend (plus there's a Wendys near where the A1 hits the Eastern part of the trip!
Old 18 May 2023, 14:45 (Ref:4156725)   #45
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list for this weekend

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...d-18.05.23.pdf

22 MINI JCWs - a warm one-off welcome-back to 2022 champion Sam Weller. No Ryan Faulconbridge this weekend.

22 British F4 - return of Noah Lisle to Carlin, addition to the championship of the Italian Matteo De Palo at Chris Dittmann Racing.

18 Porsche Sprint Challenge - the grid looks to be the same as at Donington Rd. 1, minus Dimitris Melas.

27 Radicals - 9 SR3 Pros, 8 SR3 Fangios, 6 SR1 Pros, 4 SR1 Rookies. One interesting name on the grid is former WSBK, BSB and MotoGP rider Sylvain Guintoli
Old 18 May 2023, 14:53 (Ref:4156726)   #46
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
27 Radicals - 9 SR3 Pros, 8 SR3 Fangios, 6 SR1 Pros, 4 SR1 Rookies. One interesting name on the grid is former WSBK, BSB and MotoGP rider Sylvain Guintoli
Good numbers! Nope the field isn’t too spread out ability-wise across all the classes, but a lot more than I expected.
Old 18 May 2023, 14:55 (Ref:4156727)   #47
SSmith
Veteran

An interesting aside - the Radical Cup UK display on their website the cost of entering each of their rounds. When running with MSVR the entry fee per car is around the £1500-£1600 mark (except for Silverstone which is £1900). The two TOCA weekends have an entry fee of £2200.
Old 18 May 2023, 15:00 (Ref:4156729)   #48
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Good numbers! Nope the field isn’t too spread out ability-wise across all the classes, but a lot more than I expected.
I was pleasantly surprised as well!
Old 18 May 2023, 21:14 (Ref:4156765)   #49
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
To be fair, the dual carriageway takes you pretty much to the gate.
And there are now facilities on the slip road, like Starbucks, Subway and a drive-thru Greg's.
Old 19 May 2023, 01:02 (Ref:4156778)   #50
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
An interesting aside - the Radical Cup UK display on their website the cost of entering each of their rounds. When running with MSVR the entry fee per car is around the £1500-£1600 mark (except for Silverstone which is £1900). The two TOCA weekends have an entry fee of £2200.
Do the MSV / Silverstone rounds offer live TV coverage?