Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 24 Oct 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2568726)   #26
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi all,

It's interesting to hear the views on whether we should invite back people who have been there before. I can see the argument in both directions, but the view taken is that someone who has done a good job a second (or third) time shouldn't be discounted just because they have had a brilliant season earlier in their career!

When it comes to the test, the judges do take into account the previous experience of the drivers, including whether they have done the award tests before or not. Obviously, the more experienced a driver is, the better they are expected to do.

There also seems to be some confusion as to how the decision is made. Basicallly, the judges select the six (or five for 2007-08) based on what they have done over the course of the season and, where relevant, what they have done earlier in their careers (after much debate it has to be said!). After that it is judged purely on what they do at the tests (and related interviews etc.). That is why someone like Sims, who lost the FR title to Christo, can then beat that person to the award. Their season performance just gets them the opportunity to be chosen.

Having been involved as a judge for the first time last year I can say that it is far, far less political than people think (yes, I know, you're thinking that I would say that!) and comes down to how the drivers perform on the day.

I shan't at this point go into my views on the respective merits of different series, but I will say I am very much looking forward to seeing how the drivers get on this year.

Oh, and to answer an ealrier question, there is no FPA Shootout this year.

Regards,
Kevin Turner
Autosport National Editor and award judge
Old 24 Oct 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2568894)   #27
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
Hi all,

It's interesting to hear the views on whether we should invite back people who have been there before. I can see the argument in both directions, but the view taken is that someone who has done a good job a second (or third) time shouldn't be discounted just because they have had a brilliant season earlier in their career!
In theory, you are correct.

BUT, nobody has ever won the award on their second (or third) nomination, so isn't that place on the final six wasted every time a previous nominee returns?
Old 24 Oct 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2568922)   #28
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chrissy Palmer for me, 2 years ago he was in Stock Hatch, now he has just won the FFF.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2570784)   #29
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
In theory, you are correct.

BUT, nobody has ever won the award on their second (or third) nomination, so isn't that place on the final six wasted every time a previous nominee returns?
I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure Dario Franchitti (second time) and Jonny Kane (third time) won the award after being nominated in previous years. It does mean you really have to be on it, but it's not impossible...
Old 13 Nov 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2581582)   #30
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stefan Wilson (award winner 2007) had his McLaren F1 test today at Silverstone.
He did 20 laps of the National circuit in very wet and windy conditions, not ideal for your first F1 test; he said he was wheel spinning in 5th gear on the straights. He had one off at Luffield putting into the gravel, unsuprising given the conditions, but that aside did a good job.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2581604)   #31
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have Turvey and Sims had their tests yet?
Old 13 Nov 2009, 23:40 (Ref:2581651)   #32
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
I don't think so, either of them. Didn't Turvey win the award the year before Wilson?
Old 14 Nov 2009, 01:20 (Ref:2581673)   #33
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Didn't Turvey win the award the year before Wilson?
Yes he did. Funnily enough Anthony Davidson is still waiting for his Mclaren test after winning the award back in 2000!
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2581839)   #34
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure if Gareth Rees and Steven Kane had their tests either. Anyone know if they did?
Old 14 Nov 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2581853)   #35
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
I know Steven Kane had his test.
Old 15 Nov 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2582418)   #36
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
Funnily enough Anthony Davidson is still waiting for his Mclaren test after winning the award back in 2000!
I would assume that the McLaren tests take place only when drivers are not contracted to other teams. In the case of Davidson, he signed was a test driver for BAR from 2001, which grew into roles at Honda and Super Aguri. As such there may not have been time to arrange a McLaren test.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2587197)   #37
sauber11
Racer

Russian Federation
sauber11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=25606&cat=1
Turvey to test mclaren at Jerez.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2595108)   #38
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Tonight's the night. The decision will be known before long
Old 6 Dec 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2595127)   #39
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dean Smith wins the award.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 23:32 (Ref:2595128)   #40
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
You beat me to it!

A good choice in my opinion.

In fact:
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I've had a re-think. James Calado doesn't need the money or the publicity. He's already backed by the Racing Steps Foundation and has signed up with Carlin to do British F3 next year.

My favourite would be Dean Smith, who doesn't seem to have a lot of money but has a very good CV. Formula BMW champion in 2005 and Formula Renault champion this year, ahead of Calado. Note: needs to update his website.

He had one meeting in British F3 at the end of 2008 and beat the much-vaunted Marcus Ericsson head-to-head.

This is the sort of guy who should win the Award, in my opinion.

Last edited by strider; 6 Dec 2009 at 23:39.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2595175)   #41
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Excellent news, good on him! He is aiming for GP3, hopefully with the prize fund he will be able to seal a drive. And i'm sure he'd be a title contender.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2595398)   #42
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
Excellent news, good on him! He is aiming for GP3, hopefully with the prize fund he will be able to seal a drive. And i'm sure he'd be a title contender.
Congratulations to Dean. Definately among the 2 drivers that I would have chosen altough I'm not sure how much use £50k will be towards a GP3 or even British F3 budget for that matter. If BRDC/Autosport genuinly wishes to contribute towards budget then at least double this amount needs to be awarded.

One thing I would like clarified, and obviously this didn't apply just to Dean, has the ruling on previously or currently competing in F3 or equivilent formula been relaxed?
Old 7 Dec 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2595402)   #43
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you can have competed in the top class in any serious F3.

Dean did one meeting in BF3 Class A, but it was just the one meeting and over a year ago.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2595418)   #44
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to Smith, he had also solid Eurocup outings, also a podium in his only one this season. Seems like the right guy won, at last. Remember Wilson?
Btw, may be it's not the correct thread, but what is going on with Nick Tandy? I just wanted to see a guy who started in Minis to drive F1 McLaren and he's pretty talented
Old 7 Dec 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2595476)   #45
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
Btw, may be it's not the correct thread, but what is going on with Nick Tandy? I just wanted to see a guy who started in Minis to drive F1 McLaren and he's pretty talented

Would have been nice.
He's more than pretty talented in my opinion. If the guy has decent kit i.e. comparable to the rest of the grid, he will always be at the front. And one of the most aggresive and best racers I know. See Oulton park 2009 R2 for evidence, amongst countless other examples.

I just hope he picks up a drive for 2010. He deserves to be in a top line c'ship in a top car.

Sorry for going off-topic.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2596615)   #46
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good news for sensibility. A driver wins the award that needs some backing and recognition.

I hope he actually does F3 rather than GP3, minf you he'd have more chance of winning the former as it'll probably be a series where it's down to the driver more than team/car, at least in its inaugural season?
Old 9 Dec 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2596756)   #47
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Good news for sensibility. A driver wins the award that needs some backing and recognition.

I hope he actually does F3 rather than GP3, minf you he'd have more chance of winning the former as it'll probably be a series where it's down to the driver more than team/car, at least in its inaugural season?
I believe JTR proved this theory to be totally wrong. Most teams out their with the right driver and resourses are capable. Just need the driver to believe in the team. Unfortunately most drivers like to use the excuse that they were with the wrong team when not winning, rather than making it work.
Agreed that its a good choice, Smith, but will need alot more money to run in either F3 or GP3. May be another top driver needing to go the F2 route.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 17:04 (Ref:2596774)   #48
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
I believe JTR proved this theory to be totally wrong. Most teams out their with the right driver and resourses are capable. Just need the driver to believe in the team. Unfortunately most drivers like to use the excuse that they were with the wrong team when not winning, rather than making it work.
Agreed that its a good choice, Smith, but will need a lot more money to run in either F3 or GP3. Maybe another top driver needing to go the F2 route.
If he chooses to go the BF3 route, he has a chance with Teamcraft and although they are new as a team, the personnel certainly are not. He has already tested with them and they liked him.

I'm just wondering how much (if any) of a disadvantage it will be to have a Mercedes engine. VW seem determined to steamroller everyone, whilst Mercedes are spending a shed load of money in F1.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2596805)   #49
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
Agreed that its a good choice, Smith, but will need alot more money to run in either F3 or GP3. May be another top driver needing to go the F2 route.
Well he is indeed doing the F2 test at Portimao this week.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2596974)   #50
miniman
Rookie

miniman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I usually subscribe to the theory if you can't say anything nice then don't speak, but puleeeese! FOUR YEARS to win Formula Renault! and consistent, yes, but boring both on and off track!