Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Aug 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3994178)   #2376
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a nice bike and very good value. One of the guys I ride with has one and it always gets admiring comments. Shimano 105 hits a sweet spot. Riding it is indistinguishable from Ultegra - the only penalty is 200g extra weight. Regarding cleats and pedals - I'd go for SPD pedals. The vast majority of people I ride with use them and when you get to the cafe you don't end up walking like Max Wall. There are plenty of SPD shoes available which are geared towards road cycling rather than MTB.

If Iain's followed my advice he's also bought SPD shoes (I did give him some cleats with the Bianchi) but, as a lifelong rider in trainers, he's going to forget to unclip before too long...

...with hilarious consequences.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 16:31 (Ref:3994186)   #2377
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Peter. Just thinking... Would it be worth considering a cycling thread for the forum? It's clearly a subject that is of interest to a number of us and a dedicated thread wouldn't upset those who want to steer clear of anything that doesn't involve hydrocarbons.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3994190)   #2378
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Alan I shall take your advice. Trouble is, Pat's now constantly talking about lycra body hugging shorts.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3994191)   #2379
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Peter. Just thinking... Would it be worth considering a cycling thread for the forum? It's clearly a subject that is of interest to a number of us and a dedicated thread wouldn't upset those who want to steer clear of anything that doesn't involve hydrocarbons.
Yes, why not? You could start it but it's for us historic members so we need the historic tag.

I took the liberty of starting it myself.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...03#post3994203

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 9 Aug 2020 at 16:51.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3994225)   #2380
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could we send Simon Cowell an invitation to the new thread to tell the story of his e-bike testing exploits?
Old 9 Aug 2020, 17:53 (Ref:3994227)   #2381
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Could we send Simon Cowell an invitation to the new thread to tell the story of his e-bike testing exploits?
I suspect e-bikes are frowned upon by the lycra clad cognoscenti, Grant!
Old 9 Aug 2020, 18:29 (Ref:3994236)   #2382
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Absolutely not! If riding an E-bike means you can keep riding then go for it!
Old 9 Aug 2020, 18:58 (Ref:3994242)   #2383
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Andy with those no need for lycra or scallops… Its just a kind of miracle on wheels!
Old 9 Aug 2020, 19:14 (Ref:3994244)   #2384
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Well, having seen the price of one of the turquoise vendor's e-bikes I rather suspect it might be aspirational for many.

Yesterday we want to meet up with family at a canal side pub for lunch.

The road to get there is a fairly busy B road (maybe an A but more like a B) straight off a main dual carriageway and just south of a large city.

There were a lot o what I would describe as "casual" bikers. Riding mostly in pairs, in line with just enough lack of gap on a road with many junctions and not great sight lines (worse as the council has not been servicing the verges). It seemed odd., Any old bike, shorts, T-shirts, trainers, many quite large people on bikes too small for them and/or not set up anywhere near correctly for saddle to pedal best practise. A complete lack of lycra. Very suspicious.

We turned off that road onto another less busy but still quite busy B road just behind a large motorhome that had some difficulty finding spaces in the traffic to pass the wobblers, who were also taking the same turn. At one point, standing on a grass verge with a"proper" bike, was a chap who seemed to know what you was doing with a a two wheeled pedal vehicle. So I assume it was an organised ride of some sort for those who lacked enthusiasm for a trip to a beach.

Absent any traffic the route would be great. With traffic and on a regular Saturday at midday and a lot of people of little experience on dodgy bikes and all wearing backpacks - not so sure.

We then had the joy of negotiating a double narrow hump backed bridge and a short wait behind the motorhome who had spotted a wide caravan coming the other way and was sensibly taking no chances on then getting past each other on the next stretch of road which would probably self identify as a D road if such a category still exists.

No such problems o the way back though I think we may have passed a couple of pairs practising for a future re-run of the event.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 19:48 (Ref:3994261)   #2385
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you reach an important number on the mortal coil it is customary to mark it with some sort of major undertaking (hopefully no pun) eg when 50, I started racing. For such an event later this month I decided I would cycle the length of the Pilgrims Way (now largely superceded by the North Downs Way) from Winchester to Canterbury, taking a leisurely 3 days offroad on my MTB.

This morning on my regular Sunday ride with a couple of neighbours we used part of the Pilgrims Way near home and set off a bit early to try and beat the forecast heat. We expected it to be deserted but ended up cursing a large number of solo walkers getting in our way every couple of hundred yards until we found they had set off from Farnham at 6am the day before, running and walking the 100 miles to Ashford. They were allowed 30 hours max for the journey, no wonder they were grumpy when we shouted our approach! Much respect!
Old 9 Aug 2020, 22:10 (Ref:3994307)   #2386
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
When you reach an important number on the mortal coil it is customary to mark it with some sort of major undertaking (hopefully no pun) eg when 50, I started racing. For such an event later this month I decided I would cycle the length of the Pilgrims Way (now largely superceded by the North Downs Way) from Winchester to Canterbury, taking a leisurely 3 days offroad on my MTB.

This morning on my regular Sunday ride with a couple of neighbours we used part of the Pilgrims Way near home and set off a bit early to try and beat the forecast heat. We expected it to be deserted but ended up cursing a large number of solo walkers getting in our way every couple of hundred yards until we found they had set off from Farnham at 6am the day before, running and walking the 100 miles to Ashford. They were allowed 30 hours max for the journey, no wonder they were grumpy when we shouted our approach! Much respect!
Bravo Colin and the walkers.

I trust no social distancing rules went unobserved during the exchanges and passes.

On the other hand is it acceptable to abuse an historical monument (of sorts) by overusing it?
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3994571)   #2387
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Joy at last!

I am pleased to advise that I have finally returned home after three and a half months in hospital, albeit with about a metre less of my internal plumbing. I am now starting on my rehabilitation, with the hope that I will be able to return to hospital to have part of my surgery reversed so that normal human toilet functions can be resumed.

At least my surgeon and I now know what has been causing my medical problems for the last 6 or so years; it came as a complete surprise to the surgeon as it was not one of the 5 suspected ailments that he was expecting.

Onwards and upwards.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:45 (Ref:3994576)   #2388
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Joy at last!

I am pleased to advise that I have finally returned home after three and a half months in hospital, albeit with about a metre less of my internal plumbing. I am now starting on my rehabilitation, with the hope that I will be able to return to hospital to have part of my surgery reversed so that normal human toilet functions can be resumed.

At least my surgeon and I now know what has been causing my medical problems for the last 6 or so years; it came as a complete surprise to the surgeon as it was not one of the 5 suspected ailments that he was expecting.

Onwards and upwards.
Best of luck Mike! Must feel good just to have some light at the end of he tunnel (so to speak!).
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:48 (Ref:3994579)   #2389
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Alimentary my dear Watson. Glad things are looking positive Mike.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 16:51 (Ref:3994582)   #2390
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you have a speedy recovery, Mike.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3994589)   #2391
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for photos ... Testing at Brands 31st July

Iain and I were at Brands on 31st July for a test of my Elva Mk5 ... i have been hoping to find some photos ... i realise that Covid restrictions may mean no photographers were there ... but if anyone know someone who was there, or might have been there can they let me know!

Thx
Old 10 Aug 2020, 17:22 (Ref:3994593)   #2392
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Three and a half months my wife tried to self discharge after three days so a big to you.
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery now you're home.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 17:25 (Ref:3994595)   #2393
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I believe an inability to self discharge may have contributed to Mike's lengthy stay.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 18:23 (Ref:3994600)   #2394
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What? You did not contract Covid-19 while in hospital?

Seems like prayers are answered.

Wishing you a speedy return to full engagement on Tenths.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 18:52 (Ref:3994604)   #2395
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I believe an inability to self discharge may have contributed to Mike's lengthy stay.

Ah, very good, Peter; I can see what you have done there. Unfortunately for me, it was exactly the opposite.

I was given the opportunity to take a two week break at home at the end of May/beginning of June, but it would have meant isolating totally for that time, and then going through a semi isolation back in the hospital. Also it would possibly led t a further delay in getting the operation performed.

Although my surgeon considered surgery to be urgent, the hospital authorities were, and still are, only permitting emergency theatre use and they needed convincing that my needs met their criteria. It wasn't until the surgeon had opened me up that he realised that it more than met the "emergency" criteria, and he told me after that if I hadn't had the operation that I would have probably spent the rest of my life in hospital having to be fed intravenously to maintain my body condition.

I cannot tell you how grateful that I am to all the hospital staff, whether that be the medics or those that work in the background. I owe it them that I must regain my strength and return to full fitness.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 19:01 (Ref:3994608)   #2396
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, we don't know each other but I seem to have a vague recollection of seeing you race at Snetterton in the 70's in an anglebox? In any event, wishing you well in your recovery after a pretty long ordeal by the sounds of it.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 19:35 (Ref:3994615)   #2397
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck for your recuperation Mike.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 05:03 (Ref:3994654)   #2398
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Alimentary my dear Watson. Glad things are looking positive Mike.
"Alimentary"...that clever
Old 11 Aug 2020, 06:42 (Ref:3994665)   #2399
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alimentary and self discharging aside, Mike, again from one who does not know you beyond our community here at tenths, I wish you all the very best for a full and swift recovery.
Having had a relatively short two week pitstop in Hospital myself last year, albeit without the Covid implications, I was very happy to get home afterwards to continue my rehab. I was happy to be able to move around at home without drips and wires everywhere and machines in tow.
Im sure that feeling would be magnified after a three and a half months laid up.

All the very best.
Cheers
Chris

PS I too have nothing but praise for the treatment afforded to me under our public system. The staff were magnificent and they left no stone unturned during my stay
Old 11 Aug 2020, 06:43 (Ref:3994666)   #2400
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Ah, very good, Peter; I can see what you have done there. Unfortunately for me, it was exactly the opposite.

I was given the opportunity to take a two week break at home at the end of May/beginning of June, but it would have meant isolating totally for that time, and then going through a semi isolation back in the hospital. Also it would possibly led t a further delay in getting the operation performed.

Although my surgeon considered surgery to be urgent, the hospital authorities were, and still are, only permitting emergency theatre use and they needed convincing that my needs met their criteria. It wasn't until the surgeon had opened me up that he realised that it more than met the "emergency" criteria, and he told me after that if I hadn't had the operation that I would have probably spent the rest of my life in hospital having to be fed intravenously to maintain my body condition.

I cannot tell you how grateful that I am to all the hospital staff, whether that be the medics or those that work in the background. I owe it them that I must regain my strength and return to full fitness.
It's always nice to hear a story with a happy ending regarding our hospital system (despite the gruesome things you have had to endure). Welcome 'home' Mike, it too wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to reading even more of your contributions on here.