Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Dec 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1176179)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
RB predicts spins and surprises!

Although Rubens seems to be perplexed after experiencing the new aero package, it sounds like good news to me and I hope he is right.

...“Expect a host of surprises [there]. You can count on a lot more spins next year than 2004, for sure.” ....

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/14312/
Old 10 Dec 2004, 13:54 (Ref:1176183)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep. Rubens was moaning that the cars may be "difficult to drive".

I'd have thought that was the point of it being the highest level of motorsport!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1176200)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New rules packages are always difficult to drive. However after a while the teams get to grips with it and the cars become (more) driveable again.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1176203)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's what I think, too.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1176204)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and usually as fast or faster....in the end.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1176206)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you want wheel-to-wheel racing you really do have to have cars that don't snap away unpredictably. Look at the first few years of grooved tyres - only in that last two or three years have we seen grip levels and handling behaiviour that allows a good scrap. so - although it seems silly for one of the best drivers in the world to be moaning about the car being hard to drive - it might be better for the viewer if the car is difficult but at least predictable.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1176218)   #7
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't hear of anyone else complaining, so, what is (his) the problem?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1176225)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think he said it was unpredictable - just difficult.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1176241)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No. He uses the word nervous. As in jumpy and unpredictable - opposite of composed.

He also says that overtaking will not be enhanced and will be much harder - like I said.

And the article reports that he is looking forward to the challenge - but hey guys, don't let that get in the way of your selective reading.

Also. Several other drivers have commented on the set-up, including Schumacher, Webber and Ant. None (INCLUDING RUBENS) have said that it is too hard, but all have said that there is a big difference.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1176243)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The feature of the so-called golden years of f1 was when cars were not as reliable, and hence you always had lots of people in the running for wins... so in a way it is good.
Yes it will be difficult for the drivers for the first few races,adjusting to the cars etc. but these are top quality drivers they should be able to adapt to the new regs...Rubens should quit moaning and get on with his job.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1176246)   #11
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They were saying the same thing back in '97 about the '98 specs.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1176253)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have to agree with Glen here. There is nothing to read into Rubens comments other than what he has said. He is just telling us his impressions about the car - which is good (surely).
Old 10 Dec 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1176277)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure they will dial out some of the nervousness as they refine the cars, learn about balancing them, and the drivers get more of a feel for the grip levels. It's very early days in the testing of 2005 cars.

If the drivers have to spend more time actually driving the cars in 2005, it's a good thing surely, as long as the cars are 'safe' and predictable.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 10 Dec 2004 at 16:00.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1176305)   #14
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, he's not complaining-just stating the facts
I must say i'm very curious to see how the one race tyres go.I wonder how the handling changes during the race?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1176416)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

Ant described it as like driving big formula ford,can it be that different?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1180159)   #16
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Ant described it as like driving big formula ford,can it be that different?
YES!...I had a long chat to AD after Jerez...he was surprised so many teams mainly were running the old 2004 tyres and aero, (hence their 'false' faster lap times) But when Rubens, Kimi & Co tried the 2005 spec (much to Ants amusement) 'they' spun like tops!

Basically the relative lack of downforce combined with harder compound tyres that have to last the whole race will make the cars very differant! Also lock-ups will mean drivers will have to endure them race long and will suffer accordingly...This will be a championship that will play to the drivers with the most sensitivity and feel for their 'boots'

I guess that will lead to drivers having to be patient, nurse their tyres and if still 'in touch' having to put late braking and lunging to the end of the race?!

Last edited by Rennen; 15 Dec 2004 at 15:15.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1176589)   #17
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if its like a big FF it will be good
Old 11 Dec 2004, 04:17 (Ref:1176773)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does sound kinda promissing-but i wonder how he meant that?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1178314)   #19
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 will be "more dangerous" in 2005

Quote:
Rubinho slams 2005-spec car

Next year's F1 car will be 'more dangerous' than a faster 2004 version, according to Rubens Barrichello. The Ferrari driver tested an interim '05-spec car - producing less downforce and tyre grip than the 2004 version - for the first time at Jerez last week.

"I was a bit shocked," said the Brazilian. "It's much more nervous, harder to drive, has much less grip, and I really don't know how you are going to overtake with it."

He added: "For sure, it's going to be a laugh on a dirty track -- cars spinning everywhere!"
Source: F1racing.net
According to Rubens Barrichello the F1 will be less safe in 2005, despite all primises of Max Mosley. I think Rubens Barrichello is right. Not only because the cars will be more nervous, but the change of getting a puncture will be increased eighter.

What do you think about the new regulations of 2005?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1178318)   #20
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have talked to a couple of drivers who have tested in 2005 specs. They agree that the car is more difficult to drive. However they are not yet used to it and come 2005, they will have gotten to grips with the new aero. Furthermore, by midseason most of the losses will be regained.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1178325)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrio
I have talked to a couple of drivers who have tested in 2005 specs. They agree that the car is more difficult to drive. However they are not yet used to it and come 2005, they will have gotten to grips with the new aero. Furthermore, by midseason most of the losses will be regained.
Are you a journalist?

Kicking-back, for as far as I know, most drivers are against the new rules.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:00 (Ref:1179026)   #22
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
Are you a journalist?
rules.
No! I can't write properly !!!
Old 13 Dec 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1178320)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Typical nonsense web-journalism that.

To say he's saying they will be more dangerous is sensationalist.

He says it has much less grip - that doesn't make it more dangerous, it makes the limit lower, and the cars being more nervous is better than them cornering on rails.

Problems happen when you have - and expect - a lot of grip, and something goes wrong, leaving you a passenger.

Whenever the rules change we always hear some drivers for them and some against.

It all settles down and people get on with it.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1178330)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Drivers always say that, Pinguest, because they want to go faster!

But some of them have actually praised the new rules - Anthony Davidson for one.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1178369)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Drivers always say that, Pinguest, because they want to go faster!

But some of them have actually praised the new rules - Anthony Davidson for one.
Of course drivers always want a fast car. But that's not really the major reason why the criticize the new rules. They have to deal with rule with punish them for mistakes which has been made by the engine or tyre manufacter.

Last edited by Pingguest; 13 Dec 2004 at 16:32.