Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Sep 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2293982)   #26
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem is, you can't predict the impact.

If you're going in at 45deg, then a concrete wall is good, and tyres probably not so.

Head on? Anything's better than concrete. Except trees, of course (rally boys will understand.

At 25deg, I'll take tyres with earth, because empty ones will probably throw you back onto the track in front of the traffic and concrete will cause a nasty twist injury on the neck...

So what I really want is lots of distance between the track and the wall. Unless I'm a marshal, because now I'm at more risk than the drivers.

Not easy, is it? Any improvement in one area tends to have an opposite effect on another.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2294008)   #27
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think PI is now a lot safer than Bathurst.

What improvements have been made to Bathurst since the sad events of 2006?

At least at PI they have done something which is a lot more than the people at the "sacred site" have done.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2294443)   #28
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair comment Champcarman.

A track like Bathurst will punish more small driver errors than PI.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 03:35 (Ref:2294479)   #29
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Short statured drivers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Fair comment Champcarman.

A track like Bathurst will punish more small driver errors than PI.
I think its unfair to single out the likes of Bargs, the Rat and say Denyer....the track demands precise steering and peddling...errors are punished...no matter who is behind the wheel or whether they are sitting on a woopeee cushion.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2295144)   #30
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
275 GTB-4, when I said "Small" Driver error, I was not talking about the nominal seated height of the carbon based ballast................

But you knew that
Old 22 Sep 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2295186)   #31
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guilty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
275 GTB-4, when I said "Small" Driver error, I was not talking about the nominal seated height of the carbon based ballast................

But you knew that
Yeah...I did...couldn't resist
Old 22 Sep 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2295677)   #32
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whoopsy
Old 24 Sep 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2296703)   #33
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Air filled tyres adsorb impact (i.e. nothing in them), earth (dirt) filled tyres do not absorb impact - simple really.
I couldn't agree more! This is something I have argued for years, earth filled tyre walls are bloody dangerous, empty tyre walls are just about the best thing to hit.

I'm an example, last year i hit a wall of empty tyres side-on at 150km/h. I walked away and the car cost about $3500 to repair.

This year i hit an earth filled tyre wall on the same track at 90km/h at a 45 degree angle. I fractured my arm and injured my cocxyx (sp.) and the repair bill is going to be about $5500 - $6000.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2296819)   #34
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Ouch!! hope you are fully recovered David.

(coccyx)
Old 25 Sep 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2297357)   #35
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with everyone here who have said that Air Filled Tyres are far better.. Earth Filled tyres, make the impact harder than what it should be because the energy has now-where to escape to, reducing the severity of the accident..

I have always doubted PI to be a safe race track.. Having been there, I call it as a very dangerous one at that, because you have nothing but water or sand if you make a mistake. To say one certain dev driver almost ended up in the drink at the end of turn 1 is a bit of a farce, but when things almost happen like that you question the safety of the circuit.

AJ's damage bill could have been almost certainly cut in half, if there had been air filled tyres.

End of story... PI isnt safe for ANYTHING unless they make some changes..
Old 25 Sep 2008, 00:18 (Ref:2297367)   #36
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernandez_Angel
I call it as a very dangerous one at that, because you have nothing but water or sand if you make a mistake. To say one certain dev driver almost ended up in the drink at the end of turn 1 is a bit of a farce, but when things almost happen like that you question the safety of the circuit.

End of story... PI isnt safe for ANYTHING unless they make some changes..
Water or sand?? where?? Are you sure your talking about the same PI track as everyone else, because I swear the only time you've got any chance in ending up in the drink, is if it's been raining heavily, like that infamous Superbike round. And there's only PI mud and kitty litter around the edges.

I'm not having a go at you, but fair effort if anyone ever ended up in drink or sand down there. I must say it would be a fair effort for anyone to fall off at turn 1 and end up in the drink, as they would have to clear the grave trap that's now down there, the other side of circuit, maybe another gravel trap, one of the infamous tyre walls that surround the circuit, spectator area, tree's and then a cliff face. Almost half a kilometre of distances and more obstacles than a scene out of the Simpsons of Homer falling down a cliff face.

Parts of that track are a damn site safer than they where about 8-10 years ago when they started to make some changes down there.

But to what extent do they need to butcher up the place to meet a so call appropriate level of 'safe'.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 02:23 (Ref:2297403)   #37
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2004 Australian Superbike Championship (same weekend as the Sandown 500 in fact).

Small drainage problem and a week of rain caused this mid way through Saturday afternoon.

But I don't think this is the water he was talking about.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 03:18 (Ref:2297408)   #38
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's that weekend, and there was the World Superbike Round I think the year or before. I remember sitting down in front of the the old Foxtel and at the start of the telecast the commentator goes "no folks, that's not St.Andrew Scotland, but Phillip Island Australia!"

The only other drink in the place is the dam within the infield, which once again any chance of landing in it carriers a degree of difficulty higher than any current scale. Same goes for that little pond between turns 3 and 6, if it's still there.

Unless Fernandez_Angel is talking about $8 can's of drink they expect you buy down there......
Old 25 Sep 2008, 03:39 (Ref:2297412)   #39
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't Moffat go close to landing in a dam back in the day?

The dam between 3 and 6 is still there..
Old 25 Sep 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2297485)   #40
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe he did end up in it, so says the story about the crash anyway.

By the way the water was around 1 metre deep up against the tyre wall.

It was caused by earth works which allowed dirt to wash down and block the drains under the track and the water had to go somewhere as almost all the land along the front straight and infield drains through that drainage point to the dam between 3 & 6 and then over the cliff into Bass Strait.

They stopped qualifying when the water crossed the white line at the edge of the circuit.

Took several pumps and lots of shovel work to sort it all out.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2298251)   #41
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Last time I looked the dam between 3 and 6 was slowly being filled in.

And the fence on the outside of turn 3 is armco, behind a mile of gravel trap.

And the dam at the outside of turn 8, gone years ago, wall pushed back and flagpoint moved.

I'd like to know which certain driver almost ended up in the drink. Although it would be possible to reach the tyre wall near FP 2.6 if the throttle stuck open and the brakes and brain failed coming into turn one. Perhaps a 1 in a 500,000 chance....you can argue the odds if you wish.

Seriously, when was the last time some of you looked at the place? Yes, there's still earth filled tyre walls but there's also many air filled and belted tyre walls as well.

Could the owners do more? Yes. Without doubt they could. But they have never stopped improving the place either.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2304548)   #42
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hit an air filled tyre barrier at the Hayshed at in 2003 in a sidecar race. We left the track at about 150 and backed into the tyres. I broke my back and my passenger broke his leg. Both of us have since recovered. I would hate to think what a concrete barrier would have done to us.

I hope in trying to make it "safe" for cars they dont make it dangerous for bikes.

Jeff
Old 5 Oct 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2304597)   #43
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Sailed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff 8
I hit an air filled tyre barrier at the Hayshed at in 2003 in a sidecar race. We left the track at about 150 and backed into the tyres. I broke my back and my passenger broke his leg. Both of us have since recovered. I would hate to think what a concrete barrier would have done to us.

I hope in trying to make it "safe" for cars they dont make it dangerous for bikes.

Jeff
Good to hear you are OK Jeff...its the perennial argument...to make any circuit safe for bikes/chairs...they need to do extra...maybe air fences...whatever...its all about money I suppose
Old 5 Oct 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2304985)   #44
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff 8
I hit an air filled tyre barrier at the Hayshed at in 2003 in a sidecar race.
MA has different rules concerning run offs mainly because bikes behave differently to cars when they leave the circuit and even side cars behave differently to normal 2 wheeled bikes (I've worked at many car & bike events at most circuits in Victoria and attended many serious and not so serious crashes in my 20+ years in the sport).

In any form of racing if a wall is in a position where it is likely to be hit "Head on" it will have a suplimentary form of protection being either tyre bundles or in the case of motorcycle events an air fence to help cushion some of the impact.

In my original post when I started this thread I was referring to the use of earth filled tyre walls as the main protection to keep the competing vehicles away from spectators and marshals.

I'm not sure of the exact where abouts at the Hayshed you had your off Jeff (on the left before or on the right side before or after) but your post suggests it wasn't a glancing blow collision but for both cars & bikes in a glancing blow a solid wall is better than tyres which grab the vehicle and can throw it anywhere as opposed to sliding along the wall to a stop.

I still stand by my original post statement that concrete walls are safer than earth filled tyres but do agree that in certain areas there MUST be additional protection where a head on or severe angle rather than glancing blow collision can occur.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 05:02 (Ref:2311839)   #45
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was, unfortunately, prophetic in my crticism of the Bathurst organisers failure to do anything about the section of race track where the tragic death of Mark Porter occurred in 2006. Perhaps now something will be done. The wall should be moved back and run off area of some sort put in.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 05:32 (Ref:2311855)   #46
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman
The wall should be moved back and run off area of some sort put in.
My view on this matter is, if they move the wall back it's going to give the drivers more room there on the right as they go across the top and hence they're going to push harder and use that extra area to gain a bit more speed. Thus that will equal more high speed hits if they loose it.

One thing that should be done, is the all media, including Channel 7 be banned in talking about Murphy's 2.06 lap time and as to who is going to break it. Keep pushing the point and all your going to do is encourage them to try harder and more will get hurt as a result.

Rant over, back to the original topic....
Old 14 Oct 2008, 06:40 (Ref:2311876)   #47
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
My view on this matter is, if they move the wall back it's going to give the drivers more room there on the right as they go across the top and hence they're going to push harder and use that extra area to gain a bit more speed. Thus that will equal more high speed hits if they loose it.
We should be discussing this in one of the threads on Bathurst but perhaps if they didn't have the bitumen going all the way to the wall in some spots they wouldn't be so keen to get close to the kerbs across the top of the mountain.