Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Jan 2022, 15:09 (Ref:4092580)   #26
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Kent posting a photo of a Hyundai Veloster TCR.
Interesting.
Old 8 Jan 2022, 12:06 (Ref:4092881)   #27
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andy Wlmot looks set to be back.From a Facebook conversation:

Stewart Lines
Nice one dude you doing Tcr UK this year

Ande Wilms
Stewart Lines Buying a car is on my list of things to do when I get back from Daytona. I realised it wasn’t a good idea to buy a new Cupra as the parts won’t be easy to get so I’m having a little think
Old 10 Jan 2022, 18:55 (Ref:4093126)   #28
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
TCR UK granted championship status as WSC licence extended

'TCR UK will become a standalone series for the 2022 season after being awarded championship status by Motorsport UK, the governing body of UK motorsport.'
let's be serious, Lord Gow will never allow it to become a real viable alternative to the BTCC
Old 10 Jan 2022, 19:05 (Ref:4093127)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
let's be serious, Lord Gow will never allow it to become a real viable alternative to the BTCC
There are already many real viable alternatives to the BTCC, why can't TCR UK happily co-exist alongside?
Old 10 Jan 2022, 19:07 (Ref:4093128)   #30
porsche962fan
Veteran

because most likely it would take away (top) teams and most importantly viewers from the BTCC
Old 10 Jan 2022, 19:15 (Ref:4093131)   #31
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What is the likely entry list going to look like? 20 cars?
Old 10 Jan 2022, 19:31 (Ref:4093134)   #32
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
because most likely it would take away (top) teams and most importantly viewers from the BTCC
But it doesn't have to be one at the exclusion of the other.

Teams have competed in, and viewers are able to watch, both BTCC, TCR and other forms of motorsport.
Old 10 Jan 2022, 19:38 (Ref:4093136)   #33
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Where did you read they want to be a rival to BTCC?
Old 10 Jan 2022, 19:40 (Ref:4093137)   #34
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Where did you read they want to be a rival to BTCC?
isn't that the goal for any real professional championship? to gather as much top teams and viewers as possible which means more $$$ for the organizers and co
Old 10 Jan 2022, 19:53 (Ref:4093139)   #35
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
isn't that the goal for any real professional championship? to gather as much top teams and viewers as possible which means more $$$ for the organizers and co
There's a difference between dreaming and being realistic.

Of course Gow would like to see BTCC returning to the Super Touring level, but is that realistic? No.
Old 10 Jan 2022, 20:49 (Ref:4093144)   #36
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding what 'championship status' actual means. It simple means that drivers in the series can score points and a title is awarded. Most club series have 'championship status'. BARC's 2CV Championship and BRSCC's City Car Cup both have that status and neither are remotely likely to be a threat to the BTCC.

All that has changed is that TCR UK is now a standalone series with a standalone title rather than simply being a sub-class of a wider series.
Old 11 Jan 2022, 07:27 (Ref:4093232)   #37
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What is the likely entry list going to look like? 20 cars?
I think the full season entries will be about 20, with some others doing a few rounds here and there.
Old 11 Jan 2022, 07:54 (Ref:4093235)   #38
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
You say that as if gathering a top team or viewer means that the same team / viewer is then unable to be associated with a different series.

Are you suggesting that a viewer of TCR UK is unable to also watch BTCC?

Since the inception of the TCT (which incorporated TCR UK), the following teams have entered:
BMR,
Laser Tools,
Ciceley,
Team Dynamics,
HARD.,
PMR,
TPC....

It doesn't mean they are 'lost' to BTCC, or have had to sacrifice their entries elsewhere.

The goal for any real championship (IMO) is to provide a structure within which entrants can compete at an affordable level, with a long term viability of the series and associated regulations.

Championships that exist to line the pockets of organisers will not last long. Entrants are not going to want to see their hard-earned backing and budget going on anything other than running the series.
Old 11 Jan 2022, 09:46 (Ref:4093241)   #39
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While Gow is still around, BTCC will never be knocked off the top spot for British motorsport series. However, TCR UK isn't trying to do that - it is creating a competitive championship using top level machinery (which can also be used in LOADS of other TCR & non-TCR series globally) while keeping things affordable. From a business point of view of a race team, having cars which could compete in different championships nearly every weekend of the year means you can earn a lot more from them than cars built to a unique set of regs and are only available to race in a single series. It also has a unique offering in terms of coverage as there are a greater number of manufacturers which support the various series worldwide, therefore good results could lead to some publicity through the likes of Audi's social media channels. AudiSport has 2m followers on Instagram alone.
Old 11 Jan 2022, 10:12 (Ref:4093243)   #40
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a good option. Would you rather run p25-31 in the BTCC or be in the top 6 of TCR UK?
Old 11 Jan 2022, 10:16 (Ref:4093245)   #41
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's a good option. Would you rather run p25-31 in the BTCC or be in the top 6 of TCR UK?
That's an extremely good question. If TCR UK had grids of 20-30, with either live streaming or TV coverage - even highlights - the latter.

But when there's only 5 or 6 class entrants? Hrm.

Not criticising TCR UK in any way but my experience of their meetings so far has been a touch underwhelming. That said, the GT Cup was struggling for a while and look at that now, oversubscribed.

I genuinely hope that TCR UK can fulfil their aims and get some big grids running. But I'll likely be there regardless!
Old 11 Jan 2022, 10:23 (Ref:4093247)   #42
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
its an interesting question.

I drag race in both the British Championship and some rounds of the European Championship.

In the British, im always top 5, in the European stuff, im always bottom 2/3.

Which do i prefer?....its fun going for plastic trophies but its more fun racing infront of big crowds so if it was my money, id rather race in the bottom of BTCC or British GT than the top of TCR and be part of the 'big show'...especially baring in mind most of the drivers in BTCC will have enough plastic trophies to sink a battleship.
Old 11 Jan 2022, 11:56 (Ref:4093256)   #43
antnee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
its an interesting question.

I drag race in both the British Championship and some rounds of the European Championship.

In the British, im always top 5, in the European stuff, im always bottom 2/3.

Which do i prefer?....its fun going for plastic trophies but its more fun racing infront of big crowds so if it was my money, id rather race in the bottom of BTCC or British GT than the top of TCR and be part of the 'big show'...especially baring in mind most of the drivers in BTCC will have enough plastic trophies to sink a battleship.
How do the costs compare between your 2 options?

TCR UK is around £60-100k a season, where as BTCC is anywhere around £300-600k
Old 11 Jan 2022, 12:09 (Ref:4093259)   #44
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It makes you realise how out of wack the BTCC costs are when you look at TCR. Its a shame that the BTCC never adopted the TCR regs (in my view). The only problem is that TCR doesn't allow RWD, which I think is "a must" for any touring car series.
Old 11 Jan 2022, 12:55 (Ref:4093276)   #45
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
How do the costs compare between your 2 options?

TCR UK is around £60-100k a season, where as BTCC is anywhere around £300-600k
its a valid question, but luckily i can compete in both series in the same car, so only entry fees are different.

However To be at least semi competative in the british championship i can be at the top in a car costing £6000, in the european rounds just to hang onto the coat tails of some of the mid pack it would cost me over £100k to build a car.

Basically in drag racing terms im competing in the BTCC with a stock hatch
Old 11 Jan 2022, 12:56 (Ref:4093277)   #46
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
It makes you realise how out of wack the BTCC costs are when you look at TCR. Its a shame that the BTCC never adopted the TCR regs (in my view). The only problem is that TCR doesn't allow RWD, which I think is "a must" for any touring car series.
Its funny though, ive been watching BTCC and British GT reviews from the mid 90s...if you think BTCC is expensive now, they were talking higher figures back then....and thats without 25 years of inflation!
Old 11 Jan 2022, 18:28 (Ref:4093331)   #47
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Its funny though, ive been watching BTCC and British GT reviews from the mid 90s...if you think BTCC is expensive now, they were talking higher figures back then....and thats without 25 years of inflation!
I guess when you consider that you can go so fast in a Clio Cup for a fraction of the cost of a NGTC or TCR car, it makes you question the economies of scale and wonder if there is a better way. A Clio is only about 3-4 seconds slower per lap than an NGTC car at Brands Indy and I think the Clios cost about 40K
Old 12 Jan 2022, 14:02 (Ref:4093413)   #48
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
I guess when you consider that you can go so fast in a Clio Cup for a fraction of the cost of a NGTC or TCR car, it makes you question the economies of scale and wonder if there is a better way. A Clio is only about 3-4 seconds slower per lap than an NGTC car at Brands Indy and I think the Clios cost about 40K
Same with drag racing, spend millions going Top Fuel and only have 30 seconds of track time over 7 runs a weekend, or spend 500 quid on a road car and have 40-50 runs a day...

i suppose its what ever floats your boat.....thankfully theres people willing to spend money to entertain us!
Old 12 Jan 2022, 14:08 (Ref:4093414)   #49
porsche962fan
Veteran

drag racing is one of the most stupid form of motorsports ever, coz most races are decided right on the start usually and the actual run is about 7-10 seconds only ...
Old 12 Jan 2022, 15:21 (Ref:4093426)   #50
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
drag racing is one of the most stupid form of motorsports ever, coz most races are decided right on the start usually and the actual run is about 7-10 seconds only ...
shows how little you know about the sport