Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Dec 2021, 13:21 (Ref:4090974)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BTCC 2023 season discussion, News and Rumours!

Yes, I know we haven't even started the 2022 season yet. But we already have a driver confirmation for 2023.

Sutton's 'multi-year' deal with NAPA means a 2023 seat is already taken.
Old 22 Dec 2021, 20:12 (Ref:4091019)   #2
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No it doesn't. If you look at the past outcomes of 'multi-year' deals it actually makes it less likely he'll still be there.
Old 22 Dec 2021, 20:32 (Ref:4091021)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
No it doesn't. If you look at the past outcomes of 'multi-year' deals it actually makes it less likely he'll still be there.
Really?

Goff and ATS are in 2022 seats on multi-year deals.
Ingram at Excelr8.
Rowbottom at Dynamics.
Jordan first signed at WSR on a multi-year.
Plato at PMR was multi-year.
Turkington and Plato were multi-year deals at BMR.

etc, etc, etc.....
Old 22 Dec 2021, 20:36 (Ref:4091022)   #4
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Dan Cam's losing out on his Dynamics ride this year proves multi-year ain't necessarily worth moose ****!

Although I simply cannot see a situation where NAPA would peddle back on a deal - they did once mind, pulling the #56 MWR NASCAR Cup car sponsorship after some cheating shenanigans.
Old 22 Dec 2021, 20:44 (Ref:4091023)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Dan Cam's losing out on his Dynamics ride this year proves multi-year ain't necessarily worth moose ****!
I think that deal was the exception, but many seem to claim it is the norm.

Yes, any deal can change in motorsport, but a deal is a deal.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 06:52 (Ref:4091042)   #6
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh yes it does
Old 23 Dec 2021, 08:11 (Ref:4091048)   #7
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Really?

Goff and ATS are in 2022 seats on multi-year deals.
Ingram at Excelr8.
Rowbottom at Dynamics.
Jordan first signed at WSR on a multi-year.
Plato at PMR was multi-year.
Turkington and Plato were multi-year deals at BMR.

etc, etc, etc.....
You've just proved your point.

Jordan left WSR whilst still under multi-year contract
Plato sat out 2020 whilst under multi-year contract
Rowbottom has done one year at Dynamics so too early to count, the same goes for Taylor-Smith, Goff & Ingram.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 08:14 (Ref:4091049)   #8
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think its fair to use Jordan and Plato's 2020 situation - both were as a result of Covid restrictions impacting their commercial partners. Had Covid not hit, Im sure both would have done the full season.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 08:28 (Ref:4091052)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
You've just proved your point.

Jordan left WSR whilst still under multi-year contract
Plato sat out 2020 whilst under multi-year contract
Rowbottom has done one year at Dynamics so too early to count, the same goes for Taylor-Smith, Goff & Ingram.
Thank you for confirming that I proved my point.

To clarify:
Jordan's multi-year contract was 2017-2019 - he completed all seasons.
Plato's multi-year contract was for 2 seasons from 2019 - the team took a sabbatical due to C-19, he completed his multi-year contract in 2021.

In the 2022 thread, pretty much everyone accepts that Rowbottom, Ingram, Goff and ATS are confirmed drives as part of multi-year deals. Why is Sutton different for 2023?
Old 23 Dec 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4091062)   #10
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
He's behind you!

Thought some Panto lightening up was needed
Old 23 Dec 2021, 11:38 (Ref:4091069)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
He's behind you!

Thought some Panto lightening up was needed
Agreed.
It only took the second post in the thread before snarky started. Typical for BTCC I guess.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 13:24 (Ref:4091077)   #12
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Agreed.
It only took the second post in the thread before snarky started. Typical for BTCC I guess.
Ha ha ha pot/kettle/black!!!!
Old 23 Dec 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4091080)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
when one thread of nitpicking just isn't enough
Old 23 Dec 2021, 17:26 (Ref:4091098)   #14
mj088
Racer

mj088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So a new (at this stage probably unnecessary) thread...and it only took 3 posts for the usual suspect to get argumentative and want to do some early point scoring, and subsequently already has approx 50% of the total posts insisting they are right over semantics.

Happy Christmas guys - perhaps give it a rest for a few days

Last edited by mj088; 23 Dec 2021 at 17:34.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 18:13 (Ref:4091105)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Do we really need this? This talk could in the 2022 topic.
Old 23 Dec 2021, 20:10 (Ref:4091111)   #16
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite enjoy watching people argue about stuff that no one can possibly know the correct answer to, that won't be relevant for over a year.

Isn't this what the Internet was invented for?
Old 24 Dec 2021, 08:53 (Ref:4091165)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
The other strong link for 2023 is the Max Coates / Graves Motorsport deal that has the ultimate goal of being on the BTCC grid for 2023.

Dave Graves : “We are planning another season with Max and a number of other drivers in the MINI’s next year, but we will also use the start of the 2022 season to assess carand licence options for the BTCC as they enter the new and exciting Hybrid Era."
Old 10 Jan 2022, 07:08 (Ref:4093055)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
With the introduction of hybrid regulations for the 2022 season, a number of teams openly stated that they had settled on their model prior to the 2021 season so that they could concentrate on the engine requirements.

With a full season under their belts, will we see new models on the grid? One likely candidate is Team Dynamics and the 11th Gen Civic that is due to be released in Europe late in 2022.

The withdrawal of Honda makes this an interesting situation.
Keeping the FK8 for a further season offers little indication of their future.
A switch to a different marque would be worthy of note - given that they have used Honda in the past without manufacturer support.
A switch to the 11th Gen might indicate that TD still have an association with Honda that they want to carry forward.

The choice of models will be interesting across the whole grid too. The introduction of hybrid has resulted in the CoG being further rearwards in all cars - will this influence future model choices?
Old 20 Jan 2022, 09:18 (Ref:4094537)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Tom Ingram becomes the second (publicly) confirmed driver for 2023 it seems:

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...-excelr8-deal/
Old 27 Apr 2022, 10:14 (Ref:4108210)   #20
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Parker bringing in Alfa?
Old 27 Apr 2022, 10:34 (Ref:4108215)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Goff's departure message included an intent to return in the future - are we just looking at one year away?

Goff: "This has been the hardest decision for me, but I hope to be back in the future."
Gilham: "Our friendship off track will continue and we hope Jack can race one of our cars again someday."
Old 27 Apr 2022, 10:41 (Ref:4108216)   #22
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there mention at the weekend of Dan and Ash, along with NAPA being a 2 or 3 yr deal?
Old 27 Apr 2022, 11:02 (Ref:4108222)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Was there mention at the weekend of Dan and Ash, along with NAPA being a 2 or 3 yr deal?
At Media Day :-

Cammish: "it was kind of a no-brainer that I wanted to be involved in this programme. Not just for this year, but for the coming years."
Old 27 Apr 2022, 11:09 (Ref:4108223)   #24
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Ash said in an interview (was it after R3 or earlier? I don't remember) that it's a multiyear deal and it's good because he wants to be around for years to come (or something like that). Anyway, he highlighted the fact it's a multiyear deal for him.
Old 27 Apr 2022, 12:09 (Ref:4108230)   #25
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
Team Parker bringing in Alfa?
Fact or wishing?