Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 1 Sep 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1083946)   #1
BIGMOUTH
Racer

BIGMOUTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Louise Goodman!!

This woman really makes me angry!

Look I know she worked as Press officer for Jordan, but apart from that she seems to have a VERY limited knowledge of F1. But my main complaint is that her interviews are always very short, very stupid and they really get on my

I understand that when a driver has just retired he is not very happy and might not want to talk that much, but in the past people like Tony Jardine and before that Jonathan Palmer managed far more in-depth interviews and it was so much better back then!!! I have no problem with women in F1, so don't flame be about this complaint! It is purely the fact that she is **** at her job that makes me so angry!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1083960)   #2
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Louise Goodman!!

I found a button on my remote that makes her interviews much more enjoyable. It is called "mute"

Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1083963)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Louise Goodman!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGMOUTH
This woman really makes me angry!
That surprises me. :confused:

I presume means "all time greatest TV interview moments ever list" and **** means "fantasic". In which case you are saying
Quote:
her interviews are always very short, very stupid and they really get on my all time greatest TV interview moments ever list
and
Quote:
It is purely the fact that she is fantastic at her job that makes me so angry!
Presumably you are jealous. :confused:

Of course, maybe there is a misunderstanding here. In which case I suggest that suitable (polite) words are used coupled with grown-up discussion.

Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1083967)   #4
nick_andrews
Rookie

nick_andrews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The drivers probably get pulled along a line of reporters by a team PR person or something really quickly
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1083974)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't throw the phone down!

Sorry - having an eighties radio 1 moment there.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1083984)   #6
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Louise is a highly articulate and talented woman. She has a great deal of F1 knowledge as well as a racing licence which she uses in a variety of cars.

She has a difficult job - you try interviewing a driver when their race has come to an unfortunate end! There is not a lot she can ask them except what they think went wrong.

The "bad luck" is a very good ploy - it calms the drivers down enough to make them relax. I know it works - it's called empathy! It's better than going in and saying "well that was a **** up wasn't it?". It's called getting the driver on your side and she has it down to an art. Drivers will talk to her happily because they know that she won't take the **** out of them if they've made an error. Jacques Villeneuve said that he "trusts" Louise Goodman and is always happy to be interviewed by her. And I can tell you that he isn't the only driver either!

I'm going to boast here - I find Louise friendly, helpful and sociable. She has a bloody hard job and she does it well. Not all her interviews are perfect - but nobody's ever are.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1083987)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Johnny Herbert likes her too. They used to meet every other weekend!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1083989)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely right, Suzy.

Louise knows her stuff - and she generally gets the information we need to hear in interviews.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1083992)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sod it. I like her too.

Do we know the address of the bloke that started this thread? We could go round a thank him for giving us the opportunity to say nice things about our favourite lady F1 journalist.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1084018)   #10
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like her.
There's a lot of negative comments made about the ITV coverage, many of them are justified (Dullard springs to mind!), but I don't think Louise is doing a bad job.......no, i'm going to rephrase that, she does a very good job considering she has to deal with upset or angry drivers. It's an awkward job.

One thing she doesn't do is express herself with faux charisma. She's got my respect.

Last edited by Son of Jor-El; 1 Sep 2004 at 18:28.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1084032)   #11
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Son of Jor-El
She's got my respect.
Mine too.

BTW, are there a load of Rabbits down your trousers, or are you just pleased to see her?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1084044)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You guys said it first, I find her OK as well. Also being a woman is probably a big plus as most drivers would be less likely to ball an interviewer out if she was an attractive lady than some guy sticking a mike in his face after he had just had his 6th or 7th DNF of the year, no she's alright in my book.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1084053)   #13
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but in the past people like Tony Jardine and before that Jonathan Palmer managed far more in-depth interviews
Well lets be thankful for small mercy's shown then.
I am even less of a fan of the 2 above mentioned males and will gladly accept Louise as long as that pair stay away.
I use my Mute button a lot whenever I catch sight of Jardines smug face and pompous supercilious manner.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 19:52 (Ref:1084098)   #14
Steve Wood 2
Rookie

Steve Wood 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Respect is due, I feel, for the professional lady who's husband died after a short illness on the eve of the British GP. During that short illness, she found time to interview Mark Webber over lunch, and she was back at work just a week after her tragic loss.

Love her or hate her, she is a human being who has suffered greatly in the last few months, and deserves better than to have her name cheaply thrown around a website.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1084109)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lousie is much better compared to that guy called James Allen...
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1084161)   #16
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't hate me for agreeing a little bit with big mouth. In the late 90's, early 00's I too found her annoying. First of all, you could hardly hear her when she would interview someone because of the racing noise and couple that with an accent that I am not accustomed to...I really had to pay attention. In recent years she is booming louder in the mic (to me anyway). Who would refuse an interview with a female in tight jeans???
Old 1 Sep 2004, 22:52 (Ref:1084256)   #17
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think she does fine considering the circumstances she's working in (noise, grumpy drivers, 15-20sec 'interview' max) but I'd luv to hear her ask "well <driver>, what were you thinking?"
Old 1 Sep 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1084283)   #18
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read Louises book.

Its actually very good and show a good view of F1 and shows how her experience counts for a good inside but if gossip
Old 2 Sep 2004, 00:59 (Ref:1084318)   #19
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was surprised at the existence of this thread.

I've never had a problem with Louise or her accent. Sure the interviews are never particularly enlightening but, how many ways can you say that you've broken down or crashed. And in the world we live one gets the impression that the drivers don't like to say very much until they've been thoroughly debriefed by their team.

Good point as well by Steve about her professional attitude so soon after the death of her partner. I really felt for her.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 04:01 (Ref:1084395)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Think she does ok to be honest ...i cant say that she is my favorite or anything like that ...i still think they should have the lovely Suzy Perry or the knowlegable Derek Daly in the pitlane ...

In 1997 when Louise 1st done the itv job i did think she wasnt very good ...but she is better now for sure...but i still have to say that she isnt my 1st choice for the job ....

Am i the only one , or does she remind anyone else of Big Bird from Sesame Street ?...

oh , and yes ...Fairplay to the proffessional way she handled herself after the death of partner ...im not sure i could have handled the situation as good as that if it was me ....

Last edited by Sato san; 2 Sep 2004 at 04:03.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 06:04 (Ref:1084426)   #21
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given that Raikkonen tried to flatten a couple of photographers after he broke down at GP earlier this year, she's doing well enough just to get them to talk to her.

And yep, can we please get someone other than James Allen to call the races. At least the start of the races. Once you get five laps into it he's alright, but prior to that he's just hysterically annoying.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 06:57 (Ref:1084443)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BIGMOUTH - Lou DOES know a lot about F1 and far more than you I would think or most of us here.
You clearly do not know her and have never met her. She is
a very popular member of the F1 fraternity, everyone loves her. Her professionalism in returning to work so soon after dear old John Boy died and doing an excellent job as usual was admirable, but thinking on it now, not suprising as she is the ultimate professional.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1084523)   #23
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
she is far better than that bloody Ted Kravitz and better looking! considering she would only have limited time with the driveers I think she does a great job. Hmmmmmmm.... now what would she be like as commentator, gotta be better than James Allen
Old 2 Sep 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1084553)   #24
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmm... 'over to Ted Kravitz' ... words that will strike tedium into the stoutest heart.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 09:39 (Ref:1084556)   #25
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Louise may be better than James and Ted, but that is hardly shining praise. Louise makes me cringe everytime I hear her interviews, and her pointless, irritatingly obvious questions are not in the slightest bit informative, or interesting. It's her discussions with drivers who have retired that get on my nerves more than the post-race 'behind the scenes' interviews that she conducts. There is no obvious depth to her knowledge, and her painstakingly patronising questions of "You must be really disappointed" are nothing short of lazy - what does she expect them to say "No Louise, I'm delighted that I'm out of the race..."?!

When Kimi mumbled back in short, angry bursts to her drivel of questions I smiled, as it's exactly the same way I would have treated her in that situation. You're in a bit of shock, following being spun into the wall through a failure at 140-odd Mph, and you're being asked if you are disappointed - I mean, ridiculous!

Having someone like a Ben Edwards in the pits to start with (to ease him into the ITV F1 setup ) or even a character like Irvine, someone who, if asking no-brainer questions would do so in a tongue in cheek way, would perhaps get a more informative response.

For an Ex-F1 PR lady at the 'personable' Jordan team, you would have thought that she would have been suited to the role, but to be honest I don't think she's got any better than when ITV first took over the F1 TV coverage.

She's another useless cog in the ITV F1 setup. I've tried to ignore her, and simply listen to the drivers replies, if they decide to answer in a more expansive way than her questions warrant.