Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2002, 22:16 (Ref:278896)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you think Monaco 84 would have ended had it not been stopped early?

Here's what I think would happen:

Prost,Senna and Bellof (in 1st,2nd and 3rd respectively) come up the start/finish straight, all tucked in close together. Then, coming up to T1, Senna goes to the outside of Prost, but Bellof goes round the other side, and shoots past both Prost and Senna to take the lead. Bellof goes on to take the win. Think of Spa 2000, but with the LEADER in the middle!
Old 6 May 2002, 23:39 (Ref:278943)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You just need to read my member profile to know what I think of Bellof, but in my opinion Senna was in total control of the race (having made a mistake in the Chicane, though) and would have won it if the checkered flag would not have dropped to soon.
Old 7 May 2002, 00:23 (Ref:278971)   #3
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Stefan have been able to find a way around Ayrton, as they would have both passed Alain, that is the question. I am not sure of the answer. It would have been very difficult under the conditions, as Senna and Prost had quite different opinions and approaches to driving in the rain.
Old 7 May 2002, 02:46 (Ref:279015)   #4
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stefan was one of the greatest talents lost before his prime in Formula 1. His chances of winning depends on one thing, what whould Ayrton do to keep him behind? Stefan was quicker that day so it interesting.
Old 7 May 2002, 02:49 (Ref:279019)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got no idea if Stefan would have gotten around Senna, but the resulting battle would have been one of the greatest legends, both drivers pushing their vehicles and themselves to the absolute limits. The late '80s would have seen so many more incredible battles if Bellof had lived.
Old 7 May 2002, 02:53 (Ref:279023)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bunch of what if´s, but anyway................

Senna would definatly have caught Prost, he was nearly right with him when the red flag came out, and Bellof was catching both of them, and remember Bellof and Senna were about the only cars that had passed anyone during the race, from there, Senna could have gone off, Bellof could have gone off, who knows............. although remember the race was only half over.

Here´s what i reckon may have happened, Senna passes Prost, Bellof does likese and catches Senna, follows him for many laps and has a go when the end is getting in sight. I think Bellof would have won, remember Senna possibly damaged his car earlier in the race at the chicane near the harbour.

I reckon rosberg would have come third, he was very fast just couldnºt find a way around the cars in front like Bellof and Senna could. Next would have been Prost, and that would have been about it as far as the finishes went, there were only 8 or 9 cars left when the red flags came out, maybe a Ferrari in fifth.

There is no doubt we were deprived of a great race.
Old 7 May 2002, 03:17 (Ref:279041)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Senna and Bellof would have collided and Prost would have laughed his way to victory.
Old 7 May 2002, 09:28 (Ref:279254)   #8
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man,ALL of those are possible!
Old 7 May 2002, 12:53 (Ref:279413)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's gone is gone. We can't change the past. What if's are so frustating.

What would have happened if you kissed that girl, ten years back...
Old 7 May 2002, 16:15 (Ref:279547)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ten years ago Bon? Lets see I was seven.....

I think (maybe hope) that Senna would have won, another couple of laps and it would have been his anyway. Belloff, 2nd, Senna had the races fastest lap and I think he was in control of the race, well other than Iycx.
Old 7 May 2002, 17:11 (Ref:279600)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You have plenty of time then, Paulzinho

Back in 84... Why not back in 94 ?

What would have happened if Senna decided after Ratzenberger's death, not to race that weekend ?
Old 7 May 2002, 18:06 (Ref:279638)   #12
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then IMO F1 would be a very different world today than it is.
Old 7 May 2002, 20:41 (Ref:279760)   #13
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So many people miss the real point about this race. Let me explain:

Bellof was in by far and away the best car for the conditions - 500kg normally aspirated vs 540 kg turbocharged. Very nimble, predictable power delivery, no turbo lag.

Senna was in the worst car in the field for the conditions. An updated 1983 chassis, wel overeight, the most apalling engine (Hart 4 cylindr welded shut at the top instead of a head gasket), masses of turbo lag, vivious power delivery hen it finally came in, no grip etc.

Even if Bellof has passed Senna (unlikely he would have done so without an accient IMO), Senna's achievement in finishing 2nd would have been far greater than Bellof's win.

I think people go ovrboard on this Bellof at Monaco 84 thin - he was a fantastic driver but not a Senna or a Prost. I think for the conditions he had by far and away the best car in the field and should have been up front anyway. I remember watching the race hating Ickx for dropping the flag (I was 13 at the time). I felt and still do feel it was a fix. Ickx was a great driver though (in his day)!

A terible shame. If Senna had won, would Williams or McLaren poached him at an earlier stage? Would he have had the three years at Lotus first? I often wonder.
Old 7 May 2002, 21:53 (Ref:279810)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Funny how you've all forgotten that Bellof and the whole Tyrrell team were subsequently disqualified from the whole seaosn for fuelling irregularities, so he wouldn't've won it anyway.
Old 7 May 2002, 22:30 (Ref:279829)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it really worth worrying about a race that happened 10 years ago?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 May 2002, 00:15 (Ref:279869)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True. It's like saying 'If the Ford engine hadn't been introduced, who would have won the 1967 Dutch GP?'
Old 8 May 2002, 00:24 (Ref:279876)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's more interesting to talk about this old stuff that watch this season's races.
Old 8 May 2002, 02:05 (Ref:279906)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, O King.

I agree that Senna would have collided with Bellof and Prost would have won. Prost was a great one for keeping his nose clean and taking care of the car and waiting for someone to make a mistake.

Not that I'm biased in his favour or anything.

The thing I wonder is this: What if TGF had elbowed Senna out of the Williams drive in 1994?
Old 8 May 2002, 08:03 (Ref:279988)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think F1Manoz is spot on really...and if they didn't collide, one or both of them may have emulated Mansell.
As Senna said, he probably would have got passed, but what happened after that would have been anyone's guess.
Old 8 May 2002, 17:48 (Ref:280465)   #20
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
I think F1Manoz is spot on really...and if they didn't collide, one or both of them may have emulated Mansell.
Like the white line?