Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 May 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3904820)   #1
ClaireSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!
John Smith

It is with the utmost heavy heart.... I am so numb I cannot speak, but its my sad sad duty to inform you all , that one of the great lights in grass roots Motorsport... and indeed international historic motorsport... motorsport in general, has been extinguished.

John Smith, former International Clerk of The Course, former Race Director HSBC and Masters, Co Founder of The 360 Motor Racing Club, and one of the most genuine men in Motorsport, passed away in the early hours of this morning.

I am understandably numb in truth , I will keep you all posted on things such as wake/ memorial.

God Bless all
Claire
Old 20 May 2019, 09:15 (Ref:3904821)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So so sorry Claire. RIP John.He was a top bloke.
Old 20 May 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3904825)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Huge condolences Claire.
Old 20 May 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3904826)   #4
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My deepest condolences Claire, I just saw your post on FB and had a horrible feeling, so came on here and my fears were confirmed. RIP John.

Last edited by Cliff Ryan; 20 May 2019 at 09:38.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3904829)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Terrible news Claire. Thanks for letting us know. Was hoping to see him at Donington. RIP John, you will be sorely missed.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3904835)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've taken the liberty of copying this thread to Tributes.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3904839)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So sorry to hear that Claire.

It was a privilege to have met John a few times and benefited from his help, experience and insights.

As delta said - a top bloke.
Old 20 May 2019, 10:42 (Ref:3904840)   #8
ClaireSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!ClaireSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've taken the liberty of copying this thread to Tributes.
Thanks Peter sorry... i didn't think of that x
Old 20 May 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3904841)   #9
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Condolences to his family.
Old 20 May 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3904852)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
Really sad news. It was good to know John, RIP
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 20 May 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3904855)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Thanks Peter sorry... i didn't think of that x
No worries Claire. Historics is where he'll be remembered most but the wider audience should also be informed.
Old 20 May 2019, 12:11 (Ref:3904859)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
As I said on FB, deepest condolences to you Claire. I am so sad to hear that one of the nicest, kindest blokes you'd ever wish to meet is no longer with us.

RIP John Smith
Old 20 May 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3904876)   #13
MagnetON
Royalridge Computing
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!
As I said on the 360 Facebook page: It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I'm commenting on this post. John was a gentleman who lived and loved motorsport. As one of the figureheads of The 360 he brought professionalism and wisdom to proceedings along with common sense and a love of his colleagues, racers, and marshals alike. Any circuit or club that plans a minutes silence for John at a race meeting, please reconsider; rev those engines loud, I'm sure it's what he would have wanted.
Old 20 May 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3904936)   #14
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P. John.
Old 20 May 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3904961)   #15
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thatís very sad news Claire. Sorry not to have responded earlier but have been driving back from Spa and only just seen the thread.

RIP John and condolences to all family and friends.