Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 20 Jun 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2902320)   #1
funformula
Racer

Germany
funformula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arrows A8

I recently acquired an Arrows A8 showcar in 1986 livery.
The monocoque is made of glassfibre while the rest of the car is completed with race parts such as brakes, dampers, carbon bodywork... it even has a display BMW-Megatron engine which is quite a bit unusual for a showcar because they are mostly fitted with a spacer instead.

Does anybody know where the 6 racecars that were built in 1985 are today? One is probably in the BMW museum in Munich, one was driven by Marc Surer a few years ago in Goodwood.
Three of the cars had been crashed in 1985/-86, does anybody know if they were rebuilt or scrapped?

Maybe someone knows about the history of my showcar, which must have been made out of the original moulds but according to a team member it must have been later than 1985/-86.
The question is why they did so because after that Barclay wasn´t the team-sponsor anymore so I can´t find a reason for the team building a showcar in their livery. And if so why didn´t they use one of the damaged tubs, this would have meant a much lesser effort in my opinion.

Maybe there is someone out there who knows.

Thank you
Old 14 Feb 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3025529)   #2
bobbydeerfield
Rookie

bobbydeerfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw 2 A8 cars at weekend in private collection so I suspect that there are more than 3 cars left
I am aware of some guys who had an A8 for track days in the UK not sure if they still have the car
Old 14 Feb 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3025532)   #3
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydeerfield View Post
I saw 2 A8 cars at weekend in private collection so I suspect that there are more than 3 cars left
I am aware of some guys who had an A8 for track days in the UK not sure if they still have the car
I think I know where 2 of them were but are no longer present have these 2 A8s being acquired recently?
Old 14 Feb 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3025920)   #4
funformula
Racer

Germany
funformula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got the information that all six A8 are still "alive". The damaged ones had been repaired by the company that built my A8 showcar.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3026134)   #5
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
contact Geoff Page, here is his website below, he has restored a few of the A9 arrows cars to running condition........amongst other 80's turbo F1 cars and group B cars........he will know for sure

http://www.geoffpageracing.com/gallery_f1.php

Old 15 Feb 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3026158)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's one of these thrown in a corner of a BMW repair garage near Studley in the West Midlands. It's complete with Megatron and is as it last raced in the mid 1980s. I don't know the ins and outs of how it got there, but it's been there a very long time.