Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Aug 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3758988)   #2501
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Schiphol, one of the growing number of airports where, because a runway is so far from the terminal building, it can almost take as long to taxi to the take-off point as the length of the actual flight. Their newest runway, not used that frequently, can take nearly an hour to reach from some departure gates if you include the time taken to push back the aircraft and start the engines.

The joys of travelling!
I remember taxiing what seemed like forever at Frankfurt one day when an American asked very loudly (of course!) "Hell, are we going the whole way by road?
Old 12 Aug 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3759009)   #2502
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The one and only time I flew into Denver, guess 20 years ago, the place was still being built. Not sure where we landed but the terminal was a distant spec on the horizon....... Looks quite compact now, so maybe we landed on the old bit!
Old 12 Aug 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3759013)   #2503
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
We went to Kos about 35 years ago, at the time, not sure about now, it was a military airbase with just one small building. When we flew back home the departure lounge was a kind of open cattle pen outside the check in building. Also, there was no fuel available and we had to land at Viena on the way back for a top up, the pilot even had to pay with his credit card.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3759016)   #2504
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
We went to Kos about 35 years ago, at the time, not sure about now, it was a military airbase with just one small building. When we flew back home the departure lounge was a kind of open cattle pen outside the check in building. Also, there was no fuel available and we had to land at Viena on the way back for a top up, the pilot even had to pay with his credit card.
I didn't realise Ryanair had been going that long!!

I don't know if it is still the case but one of the last flights out of Heathrow at night used to be Nigerian Airways to Lagos, with a stop in Rome en route. However, on more than one occasion it didn't stop in Rome as the airline owed so much in landing fees etc that the 'plane would have been impounded.

Imagine waking up in Lagos when you thought you were going to Rome...!
Old 12 Aug 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3759023)   #2505
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Zimbabwe Airways fly in those Mumbo Jumbo Jets, there are no meals served, but the first class passengers eat the second class passengers.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3759028)   #2506
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I didn't realise Ryanair had been going that long!!
It was far worse than Ryanair......Danair
Old 13 Aug 2017, 06:17 (Ref:3759098)   #2507
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Freddie Laker's Skytrain! I flew in one of their 747s across the pond and am surprised I can still walk......
Old 13 Aug 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3759120)   #2508
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now hang on, Tim .... Danair was a good low-cost airline ... in its day. Those Comet 4s were the hotrod version, and the pilots had actual conventional contracts of employment and pension scheme.. You wouldn't have wanted to fly on contemporary Invicta Airways, now would you ?
Nick
Old 14 Aug 2017, 06:02 (Ref:3759254)   #2509
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There's was a brief news bite on Beeb telly this morn, suggesting that 'cats eyes' are going to be renamed due to some UK visitors thinking they really are.... (No confirmation on web yet ) Think suggestion is that they will be referred to as 'road studs', but to many of us they will still be cats eyes!

Have I been asleep all winter- is it April 1st again?
Old 14 Aug 2017, 06:09 (Ref:3759255)   #2510
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There's was a brief news bite on Beeb telly this morn, suggesting that 'cats eyes' are going to be renamed due to some UK visitors thinking they really are.... (No confirmation on web yet ) Think suggestion is that they will be referred to as 'road studs', but to many of us they will still be cats eyes!

I read the story this morning too - on the web!

You've probably heard the story about the Japanese tourists who saw the camera sign warning of a speed trap & took it to mean that was where they should stop for a Nikon moment!
Old 14 Aug 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3759267)   #2511
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Reminds me of the story told by Ken Dood about the famous Yorkshireman who was walking home from the pup one night in the dark and saw that the eyes of a cat reflected on-coming lights. "It was because of this that the gentleman in question went on to invent the reflective road studs that we know as cats eyes".
"Just think, if the cat had been walking in the opposite direction he'd have probably invented the pencil sharpener!"
Old 14 Aug 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3759282)   #2512
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably started by life long members of the cats protection brigade.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3759284)   #2513
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just think, if the cat had been walking in the opposite direction he'd have probably invented the pencil sharpener
A real cat-astrophe !
Does anyone know if the Capri was ever homologated with the 2 litre Pinto engine?
Old 14 Aug 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3759288)   #2514
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Try this:

http://historicdb.fia.com/car/ford-capri
Old 14 Aug 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3759291)   #2515
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you Peter. But it looks like a V4 engine does it? The game is that my club would like to build a race Capri and because of few knowledge about the Essex they would prefer to go for a Pinto if homologated. I think they can achieve the same power to weight ratio and avoid the hassle.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3759292)   #2516
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Several airports around the world are military especially Greece and some that I know of in Spain.
Murcia airport is the one that you think that you are landing on the sea as the runway starts virtually on the beach !
The one that I normally use at Almeria is not military and when we first went there in the early70s you just got off the plane and picked your luggage off of the tarmac ! so easy no queues and no hassle. However there was only one flight a week on a Thursday and the flight back then was £150 so we should count ourselves lucky on todays prices
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Aug 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3759293)   #2517
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Thank you Peter. But it looks like a V4 engine does it? The game is that my club would like to build a race Capri and because of few knowledge about the Essex they would prefer to go for a Pinto if homologated. I think they can achieve the same power to weight ratio and avoid the hassle.
Yes I forgot about the V4. And I had one of them too! I'd stick with the V6 since all the tuning bits are available.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3759294)   #2518
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Think you're right. And bulletproof if not over developed. Just have to cope with the weight.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3759296)   #2519
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup and whilst the Pinto may produce the same power it won't have the torque that you get from a V6.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3759309)   #2520
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yup and whilst the Pinto may produce the same power it won't have the torque that you get from a V6.
Strange that Ford never bothered to homologate the car with a Pinto though.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3759323)   #2521
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, when you consider they homologated the 1600.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3759326)   #2522
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wikipedia states that the upgrade Capri Mark II version had the 2 litre Pinto engine from 1972. Was this version never homologated?
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3759328)   #2523
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Doesn't appear to have been homologated. The 2litre certificate only has the V4engine.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3759356)   #2524
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Think you all are right alas. Strange that with so many wise marketing decisions they suddenly dropped some models yesterday heavily promoted. After seeing Sir Jackie Stewart winning on Sunday, Mr Jones wanted to buy a 1.3 XL on Monday morning as soon as the dealers doors were opened. May be they have to satisfy German, UK and US boards together. A hard task!
Old 14 Aug 2017, 14:45 (Ref:3759358)   #2525
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Its not about racing cars, sorry for that ami Robert, but did you have the Renault 14 on your market? How was it nicknamed?
Closed Thread