Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Sep 2015, 02:50 (Ref:3577897)   #151
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Me too, we need real change urgently, well beyond just tinkering with the edges!
Old 29 Sep 2015, 18:12 (Ref:3578089)   #152
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It may be blind faith on my behalf, but I still believe that McLaren Honda will get the problems sorted out ..

Fernando needs to appologise to Honda at $40 million a year, he needs to apolgise ..
Old 29 Sep 2015, 23:53 (Ref:3578160)   #153
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure at a recent event we had people like Brundle and Herbert talking about how the drivers have no personality, no brand, and saying about how great Lewis is for this. Then Alonso comes out showing a little bit of real character, something many of us would show if put in a similar position and he receives nothing but criticism. Button too, to a certain degree, and even Vettel and Rosburg with the tyres, though in a slightly different manner.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 01:04 (Ref:3578175)   #154
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm sympathetic to and I commiserate with Alonso. I don't blame him for his outburst. Goofballs effortlessly sailing past him on the DRS magic carpet must've added kerosine to his frustration. The outburst certainly added a bit intrigue to a pedestrian GP.

But if he winds up shipwrecking the works deal, there's going to be hell to pay.

That has long term implications in a way that being frank over a bad pitwall decision or another driver, just doesn't. It all depends on how philosophical the Honda people are to being shamed on their home turf.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 06:58 (Ref:3578225)   #155
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso's a great driver, probably the greatest on the current grid, but he can undoubtedly be a right **** too. Out of the car I think Button is showing him up this season. He's frustrated and considering his future, but he's dealing with it by being (publicly) positive and accepting of the situation, Alonso is equally if not more frustrated, but stropping and slagging off his team isn't constructive is it, especially a public humiliation in Honda's backyard.

Yeah he can say all he likes that radio messages should be private, but all the drivers know they're not, come on.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3578301)   #156
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Button just has a better sense of humour and can make light of the situation without sounding mad or angry about it.

different cultural norms perhaps, but both are equally vocal with their frustrations imo.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3578359)   #157
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think Alonso has been very cool and diplomatic typically. He's been good in this respect actually.

It was just this one instant that the temperament broke and he let it all out. He had a cascade of cars rushing past him, with light hearted DRS aplomb -- that he was powerless to resist -- and it just drove him mental.

It's also true in that Alonso fancies more wins and is uncomfortable with the fact that he's getting older with time running out to achieve all this, whereas Button is at peace with the idea that retirement isn't far off. They are different men in different spaces mentally.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 18:42 (Ref:3578671)   #158
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jenson and Fernando vs. "Exhaustus"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpvzNFIFkVc

So, I actually think this is funny and enjoyed it. I hope we see more of this type of stuff. But I can envision those on the cynical side saying this is not what they should be focusing on.

If I was to make a single cynical comment it would be that clearly "Exhaustus" has had his revenge as he has stolen the ability for Honda to make hybrid power from the "exhaust".

Richard
Old 2 Oct 2015, 06:02 (Ref:3578779)   #159
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome! Will show that to my 6year old when I get home tonight.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3579887)   #160
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Given:

"I still can't understand why everyone doesn't appreciate you're not going to win a world championship if you have a second-string engine [as a customer team]. It's just not going to happen.
"Therefore we have to go through the pain, we have to go through this learning curve and get a competitive engine." Ron Dennis; http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121037

Who is capable of actually winning a GP if Mercedes don't screw up like they did in Singapore?
Old 6 Oct 2015, 09:28 (Ref:3579920)   #161
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Given:

"I still can't understand why everyone doesn't appreciate you're not going to win a world championship if you have a second-string engine [as a customer team]. It's just not going to happen.
"Therefore we have to go through the pain, we have to go through this learning curve and get a competitive engine." Ron Dennis; http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121037

Who is capable of actually winning a GP if Mercedes don't screw up like they did in Singapore?
What Ron is saying is that if you don't have a works engine you won't have a chance. So Mercedes, Red Bull (this year)/Renault (next year), Ferrari and McLaren are the only teams with a hope of winning - all the others have customer engines so won't beat a works car with the same brand engine.

Obviously if the works engine you have is crap you still won't win but if you go for being a customer team with the best engine manufacturer you won't win anyway - better to have a works deal and hope your engine partner delivers you the best engine. So unless Ferrari, Renault or Honda make some serious progress over the winter we may as well just hand Mercedes the trophies for next season too.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3579924)   #162
wnut
Veteran

Yes Bert, what Ron is saying is McLaren wants to win and they need a works engine to be allowed to win, he knows he has been a Mercedes customer.

What my problem is with the current technical regulations is the percentage of the units that is being continually frozen and the inability of the competition to be able to compete with Mercedes.

https://www.fia.com/file/22782/download?token=0yN48RON

Refer page 89.

By front end loading all the research and development for the change of rules beginning in 2014; as only a very large manufacturer could have; it would seem that Mercedes has effectively purchased/stolen the 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 championships by limiting the amount that competitors can now spend and change in their PUs, and we know that none of the customer cars will be allowed to compete with the works cars, so how many cars can realistically win. One on team orders!

Is it possible to compete with Mercedes when you cannot correct the errors you know you made when you designed your PU in July 2013?

How long can F1 survive this artificial domination?
Old 7 Oct 2015, 08:20 (Ref:3580176)   #163
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Looking at what Mercedes are spending, it looks like either McLaren needs to get some serious third party funding or persuade Honda to commit a huge team budget. I would imagine the Mercedes figures will give Honda a bit of a jolt, if that is what it takes to run right at the front and compete for wins.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3580497)   #164
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Honda will introduce a new new ICE, turbo, MGU-H and control electronics for Alonso this weekend but he will have to take a grid penalty, such is F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121198
Old 8 Oct 2015, 14:09 (Ref:3580521)   #165
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I don't see what Alonso will do though, if he leaves McLaren. There aren't any worthwhile F1 seats open for 2016, and I can't see him following the Webber-route into sportscars. Perhaps he'll just have turn professional as a teddy-thrower.
I could have seen him in sportscars.In this video he acknowledges that there are other categories outside Formula 1. This was shortly before Mark Webber announced his move, I think.

Anyway, he now says he's committed to McLaren: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34475768
Old 8 Oct 2015, 23:36 (Ref:3580610)   #166
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Honda will introduce a new new ICE, turbo, MGU-H and control electronics for Alonso this weekend but he will have to take a grid penalty, such is F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121198
Well that should be about 3 spots maximum, and anyway I would suggest that every race for the rest of the year is just a test session, so they may as well just start instituting wholesale changes that get them disqualified anyway, it is not like they are even realistically scoring points currently.
Old 10 Oct 2015, 05:56 (Ref:3581000)   #167
wnut
Veteran

Looks like Honda and thus McLaren misery is set to continue into 2016.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1...nue-into-2016/

I reckon it is time we, the fans of F1 started a petition about changing the stupid no development rules. It may change nothing but at least the dissatisfaction with the no development rule will have been clearly registered!
Old 10 Oct 2015, 06:02 (Ref:3581002)   #168
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well the 'revised' engine in the back of Alonso's car certainly sounds like it fancies it more!
Quite an audible difference in exhaust note to that of the original lump in Button's yesterday I thought.
Sign of some progress?
Old 10 Oct 2015, 20:03 (Ref:3581195)   #169
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is an interesting piece on Honda's engine/PU.

http://beta.autosport.com/premium/fe...-f1-power-unit
Old 11 Oct 2015, 22:49 (Ref:3581924)   #170
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
This is an interesting piece on Honda's engine/PU.

http://beta.autosport.com/premium/fe...-f1-power-unit
Damn, I was really interested in them using an axial compressor and very impressed that they were able to manufacture them as a turbocharger, and looking forward to see what they could get out of them.
Bang goes another theory!
Old 13 Oct 2015, 12:15 (Ref:3582483)   #171
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Bang goes another theory!
Rather than them going bang in practice (or qualifying, or... etc etc) - which is what would probably have happened!
Old 6 Nov 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3588605)   #172
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another interesting article...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34722698

Some double talk in a few places, but some interesting quotes...

Quote:
But the compressor size will increase to aid this quest for efficiency - Arai predicts that the 2016 Honda compressor will be "probably about the same size more or less as Mercedes", while adding that he does not know in what ways Mercedes will change its design.
Quote:
But Arai emphasised that not all the gain had to come from the engine, saying: "It is impossible to close a 2.5-second gap just with the power unit."
Quote:
For next year, Honda does have enough leeway within the rules to make fundamental changes to the engine - and is planning to do so.
Honda/Arai have over hyped other improvements before they showed up on track. Time will tell if it is more of the same. But it sounds potentially promising.

Richard
Old 6 Nov 2015, 23:21 (Ref:3588674)   #173
wnut
Veteran

I think that there is something that Mercedes are doing in these PUs that is fundamentally different from the rest of the PU suppliers.

I think that the actual secret is in the size of the turbine as well as the compressor.
If I were to guess I would say that the Mercedes unit is harvesting the necessary energy to get the 4MJ dump, but is also generating energy which is being constantly bled to the auxiliary motor.
There is no limit to the amount of energy that you are allowed to harvest, and they would argue that they are only dumping 4MJ of stored energy, but there is no limit on the amount of directly generated energy that you can feed directly to the auxiliary motor.

P.S. If Arai doesn't think that being 250hp down on power at the most critical point in a lap; top speed; and the resultant need to reduce downforce would not translate as 2.5 seconds a lap, he is dreaming. 95% of the problem is engine, sure, like he would be able to tell.
I reckon Honda will continue to under deliver as long as he is in charge of the program.
Old 15 Dec 2015, 10:31 (Ref:3597911)   #174
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They can make good videos

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/emb...4n0UT82o?rel=0
Old 18 Dec 2015, 03:51 (Ref:3598528)   #175
wnut
Veteran

Does Ron know something that nobody else does?

http://www.pitpass.com/55374/Not-qui...for-Ron-Dennis