Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 May 2017, 22:57 (Ref:3730641)   #126
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Let's hope Mercedes also has someone who can take points from others when Bottas can't.
Don't worry, he knows now that he must copy Bottas' car set-up, everything should be good!
Old 12 Jun 2017, 03:13 (Ref:3740392)   #127
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Lewis wins this round. Pole, fastest lap and the win.

The team managed to get Valerie back up the grid to finish second. Valerie once again proves he is an excellent number 2 driver, and just may have scored a contract for 2018.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 23:24 (Ref:3740703)   #128
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It just was Lewis' day yesterday. He was just in the zone.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3740869)   #129
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bottas could never catch Hamilton, so he settled for a solid second place
Old 16 Jul 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3751830)   #130
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although Lewis won today(and very dominantly) - I would have to say Bottas' overtake on Vettel was a career defining moment. He just keeps getting better.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3751863)   #131
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, although Lewis was in complete control of the whole weekend, Bottas looked very good indeed on what turned out to be an excellent strategy.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3751938)   #132
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Very impressed by Bottas. He certainly seems to be more than a realiable number 2. I'm starting to think Hamilton/Bottas could be like Stewart/Cevert if you know what I mean
Old 17 Jul 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3752094)   #133
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bottas could never catch Hamilton, so he settled for a solid second place
No-one could catch Hamilton.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3752118)   #134
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
He certainly seems to be more than a realiable number 2.
Indeed. He is a VERY reliable number 2 driver.

Old 17 Jul 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3752183)   #135
S griffin
Veteran

He's actually more a number 1.5 as the old saying goes
Old 17 Jul 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3752188)   #136
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
23 points down with 10 races left...thats close enough with enough races left that merc wont explicitly place a supporting role requirement on him...thats not really this team's style imo.

Bottas is growing in confidence and ability with each race...its actually been very cool to see.

while he lacks LH's raw speed so quali will be an issue but i do also think he is much better at race starts over LH and given this car's advantage tends to mean a Merc in front will tend to stay out in front, i do think VB should very much be considered a title contender this year.

for me, i dont think the issue of number 2 (or even 1.5) has been settled yet!
Old 27 Aug 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3762005)   #137
stripedcat
Veteran

Oh dear, Bottas. Today was not a good day. 6th. Oh dear. Could have been 3rd.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3762092)   #138
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Oh dear, Bottas. Today was not a good day. 6th. Oh dear. Could have been 3rd.

I just want to say that he was actually 5th
Old 27 Aug 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3762166)   #139
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I just want to say that he was actually 5th
Got mugged after the sc. I bet he's one unhappy chappy after that.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3762264)   #140
S griffin
Veteran

Yes that was a bit unfortunate, looks like he needs a bit of luck to stay in the title fight. Support roll for Lewis coming up
Old 28 Aug 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3762322)   #141
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think Mercedes will be content enough with his performance so far this year. He's handily beating Räikkönen and has taken the odd win. I think a year to settle in at the front of the grid is reasonable. Next year (assuming he stays) will determine whether he's a genuine challenger for the title or a solid number two.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 03:11 (Ref:3779558)   #142
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
What has happened to Bottas?

Stories that the car is a diva and not to his liking do not explain his lack of performance, he is supposed to be a top caliber professional racing driver, and proved to be a good match for Hamilton up until the Austrian GP.

Since Austria where he won, Bottas has basically been missing in action.
He has scored three second places against Hamilton's 6 wins, so has been the least competitive team mate in the field, not even backing Hamilton up?

Has anybody seen an interview with Bottas where he has directly been asked to explain his lack of performance?
Old 9 Nov 2017, 11:12 (Ref:3779586)   #143
S griffin
Veteran

He had an interview on the Flying Lap recently, but can't remember what he exactly said about his struggles
Old 12 Nov 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3779982)   #144
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes I'm curious to know more as well. I think the races where he was closer to Lewis earlier in the season were really only because Lewis was struggling with the diva car. So Bottas probably hasn't gotten any worse, it' s just that Lewis is no longer struggling. This might be the legit difference between Lew and Valty, of course a little of it just being Lew Lew has been in the team what 4 years now and will be more comfortable in the car and environment.

I always thought Bottas wasn't the best choice. He could barely beat Massa half the time. D-Ric again not happy after qualy, they should have poached him from RB. I guess they're waiting on Ocon instead to see how he goes another year against Perez. But yeah Bottas is not championship material this year, Rosberg would have cleaned him up.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3780026)   #145
S griffin
Veteran

I think Bottas can hopefully do well here and in Abu Dhabi and use it as a springboard for 2018, as he has the talent, he just needs to show it more
Old 12 Nov 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3780102)   #146
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bottas starts on pole, Lewis from pit lane and would have still caught him if Kimi didn't get in the way. Imagine if Ham started from pole, he'd have won by 30 seconds. I'd replace him with Ricciardo for 2018.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 23:15 (Ref:3780107)   #147
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Bottas starts on pole, Lewis from pit lane and would have still caught him if Kimi didn't get in the way. Imagine if Ham started from pole, he'd have won by 30 seconds. I'd replace him with Ricciardo for 2018.
Not saying I disagree, but keep in mind that some of the performance gap came from Hamilton with a new power unit dialed up and significant setup changes for the hot weather today since starting from pitlane meant no Parc Ferme. Qualifying was completed in much cooler conditions and light rain. So all of the other cars are compromised with the setup.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 08:01 (Ref:3780152)   #148
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I always say that there's nothing like a good conspiracy theory (and this is nothing like a good conspiracy theory), but I was interested to note that this weekend (in free practice anyway), VB was much closer to the pace of his team mate. Is it possible that Mercedes have been restricting his speed somehow until Lewis had secured the Championship?
Old 13 Nov 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3780164)   #149
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I always say that there's nothing like a good conspiracy theory (and this is nothing like a good conspiracy theory), but I was interested to note that this weekend (in free practice anyway), VB was much closer to the pace of his team mate. Is it possible that Mercedes have been restricting his speed somehow until Lewis had secured the Championship?

Or maybe, just maybe Bottas is not quite as quick as his multiple WDC winning teammate...
Old 13 Nov 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3780180)   #150
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Was VB's change to shine without having to differ to LH and he came up short and showed that although very quick, he's not in the HAM, VES, VET, RIC, ALO league.