Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Feb 2020, 08:04 (Ref:3956512)   #1276
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
They are probably still waiting for the cars to finish the last race of last season.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3958502)   #1277
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So testing times are usually not a good indicator of things unless you are always at the back. But, Williams is showing some good signs from testing this morning.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-than-2019-car

Richard
Old 19 Feb 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3958514)   #1278
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a trouble free day with a lot of laps...encouraging first day.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3958527)   #1279
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The only way is up. If they can get through the rest of the testing with minimal delay and with as little problems as possible, then they have plenty of chances to keep improving the pace of the car, which would give them a bit more encouragement for the season ahead
Old 19 Feb 2020, 17:58 (Ref:3958544)   #1280
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just by having a car that runs reliably at the first test is a good indication of progress.Now they can spend a bit of time understanding it and deciding which development strategy to follow.Who knows,they may have the luxury of beginning to think about next year's car instead of constant firefighting all season.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3958574)   #1281
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Just by having a car that runs reliably at the first test is a good indication of progress.Now they can spend a bit of time understanding it and deciding which development strategy to follow.Who knows,they may have the luxury of beginning to think about next year's car instead of constant firefighting all season.
I am curious how much has changed to the car from end of last season. If not a great deal, then they should just pickup right where they left off (for the most part). So it should not be a surprise that they were ready to go.

But based upon the article (either in this thread or the 2020 testing thread) it did mention they had a list of areas to focus on and that included (my words, not those of the article) "polish" various aspects of the car that might have not gotten proper attention last year.

So the more they changed the more it is a "2020" vs "2019" car. Which would mean more chance for something new to create potential issues. Either way, I am glad they were first out on track, putting in the laps and at least showing some increased speed over last year. Something has gone in the right direction.

Richard
Old 2 Mar 2020, 07:39 (Ref:3960931)   #1282
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Claire Williams quoted as saying the criticism of her running of the team is because she is a woman. If a man had run the team into the ground as she has done I suspect he would be long gone. For me it's got nothing to do with gender - although her obsession to get Susie Wolfe in a car didnt help - it's all about ability....
Old 2 Mar 2020, 08:17 (Ref:3960939)   #1283
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Claire Williams quoted as saying the criticism of her running of the team is because she is a woman. If a man had run the team into the ground as she has done I suspect he would be long gone. For me it's got nothing to do with gender - although her obsession to get Susie Wolfe in a car didnt help - it's all about ability....
Absolutely. She may think it’s because she’s a woman. Everyone else knows it’s about not having a clue.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 13:09 (Ref:3961002)   #1284
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Absolutely. She may think it’s because she’s a woman. Everyone else knows it’s about not having a clue.
I watched the documentary about Frank Williams and her brother Jonathan got passed over by Frank and she got the job as Team Principal. Jacques Villeneuve thinks that was a mistake.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/07...a-big-mistake/
Old 2 Mar 2020, 13:56 (Ref:3961009)   #1285
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I watched the documentary about Frank Williams and her brother Jonathan got passed over by Frank and she got the job as Team Principal. Jacques Villeneuve thinks that was a mistake.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/07...a-big-mistake/
Jacques thinks a lot of things, and quite often lets everyone else know them!

On this occasion he's 50% right. I like Johnny, lovely chap massive enthusiast but even he might have had to think long and hard about whether he was right for the top job at the time?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 14:11 (Ref:3961015)   #1286
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Jacques thinks a lot of things, and quite often lets everyone else know them!

On this occasion he's 50% right. I like Johnny, lovely chap massive enthusiast but even he might have had to think long and hard about whether he was right for the top job at the time?
Exactly that on both parts. Jacques has rarely kept an opinion to himself, but he often at least has a bit of sense in his opinions. Not always but often there's a nugget, but he keeps going and the good bit gets lost in the crazy.

And Jonathan seems to be killing it on the heritage side but would he have been in a good place to take over the F1 side when Claire did? And how much more pressure is on the F1 side than Heritage? Not much development, but attention to detail is just as important, not trying to crush a man who excels at what he does. And I know I couldn't do either job
Old 2 Mar 2020, 16:30 (Ref:3961031)   #1287
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Jonny had a chance but was passed over for specific reasons.

Sadly neither likely up to the job.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3961032)   #1288
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Jonny had a chance but was passed over for specific reasons.

Sadly neither likely up to the job.
What specific reasons?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3961046)   #1289
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is gender really the issue here or is it nepotism?

anyways, they seemed to do well in testing and the problems they did experience came from the Merc PUs and an not in house issues so, for me, its a bit early to rule out improvement and to give credit to Claire.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3961050)   #1290
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What specific reasons?
Yes, I'd be interested to know too....
Old 2 Mar 2020, 19:16 (Ref:3961065)   #1291
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
is gender really the issue here or is it nepotism?

anyways, they seemed to do well in testing and the problems they did experience came from the Merc PUs and an not in house issues so, for me, its a bit early to rule out improvement and to give credit to Claire.
Or Patrick Head for coming in and getting a grip....
Old 2 Mar 2020, 19:45 (Ref:3961078)   #1292
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Or Patrick Head for coming in and getting a grip....
I though Head had already been brought in, however in a temporary capacity. Does anyone know if he is still helping on a regular basis or has his involvement ramped back down again?

Regarding Head, I suspect he doesn't want to come back full time and frankly the team needs to install someone who can run things long term vs. looking to past resources that are unlikely to stay for a long time.

Richard

EDIT: Sorry, after re-reading the quote above, I misunderstood the intent of his post. It was not to get Head back, but to potentially attribute credit to Head for his temporary return. Either way, if Claire was in charge while bringing Head back. She should get credit for that. She should own both the bad and good.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3961087)   #1293
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
...Either way, if Claire was in charge while bringing Head back. She should get credit for that. She should own both the bad and good.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 09:10 (Ref:3970535)   #1294
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...-sale/4779255/

So the Family silver has been sold. Interesting that a listed Company can enter such a deal.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3970548)   #1295
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...-sale/4779255/

So the Family silver has been sold. Interesting that a listed Company can enter such a deal.
Allegedly Williams lost 20m pounds in the first 6 months of 2019 alone, if that was repeated in the second half, that would show why they needed an alleged 50m loan.

Latifi has the loan secured on a wide range of Williams assets from the freehold factory site to a large number of heritage cars and apparently their F1 entry.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Apr 2020, 05:23 (Ref:3970681)   #1296
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how they intend to service the loan obligations such as interest and simply paying it back? I suppose they could declare bankruptcy, has that been tried by an F1 team before?
Old 14 Apr 2020, 06:08 (Ref:3970686)   #1297
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The companies effectively been sold reading that.$50m will soon disappear down a big black hole.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 07:28 (Ref:3970695)   #1298
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Everywhere talks about "restructuring". Normally that means they already had substantial debt, and the "restructuring" has allowed them to stop those creditors banging on the door while giving them a bit of working capital.

I doubt very much this is more than breathing space.

"Racers" are notorious for being bad with money. It's also well known that the only way to make a small fortune from racing is to start with a very big one. I fear this "restructuring" is the end game for Williams as we know it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Apr 2020, 08:06 (Ref:3970699)   #1299
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Everywhere talks about "restructuring". Normally that means they already had substantial debt, and the "restructuring" has allowed them to stop those creditors banging on the door while giving them a bit of working capital.

I doubt very much this is more than breathing space.

"Racers" are notorious for being bad with money. It's also well known that the only way to make a small fortune from racing is to start with a very big one. I fear this "restructuring" is the end game for Williams as we know it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ironically I do believe that comment was once made by Patrick Head...
Old 14 Apr 2020, 09:19 (Ref:3970707)   #1300
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It might have been Rob Walker actually