Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Oct 2007, 09:50 (Ref:2044376)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HSCC Finals - Silverstone - 20 October 2007

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Most of the championships have yet to be decided and there should be some good racing. Hope the weather holds up. I will be putting my usual amateur efforts up with a pictorial review although with 3 such threads still on the go, they won't appear rapidly!
Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2044397)   #2
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The forecast looks good., and with a 290-odd entry it should be a great end to the HSCC season.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 17:54 (Ref:2044785)   #3
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there, but my little digital can't handle the distances and amount of intervening fence at Silverstone, so no pics from me..........except in the paddock.

Who are you looking after/driving for, Alan?

Paul M
Old 19 Oct 2007, 18:06 (Ref:2044794)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
this will be our first casual spectators race meeting for a long time . . . . .
Old 19 Oct 2007, 18:42 (Ref:2044829)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An excellent entry list and it looks like the weather is going to be kind again
Old 19 Oct 2007, 18:56 (Ref:2044844)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I have to say I'm genuinely excited at the Historic roadsports line up, theres probably a dozen or more cars that'd easily warrant space in my workshop

If only I could find one on my budget !!!
Old 20 Oct 2007, 18:42 (Ref:2045543)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Top meeting, and thanks to all for making it so, I was lucky enough to see the cogs working inside early in the day . . .and yes, some of them do whirr thanks guys.

The only blot I saw was the start of the HRSR race, I was hoping to see some action from the BRDC grandstand, unfortunately the race didn't get past Copse, not having seen the incident I can't really comment but I'd go as far to say Dan Cox should be fully justified in being absolutey livid. from Pole to a write off in 200 yards.

why we let yank V8's race with European pre66 tin tops I don't know, they frighten off more cars than they attract, to the detriment of every series they go to IMO.

Drivers of the day, plural on purpose, goes to everyone from the pack of LC's vying for 5th (AT THE TIME) back to Richards Triumph for missing Michael Steele doing a 720 spin in his Galaxy having trodden in oil, just after Copse, which was deposited by another LC blowing up hugely, a lap earlier. Hats off to Michael for keeping control, and getting back on line without leaving the black bit, or stopping.

if theres a video of that it should be shown at the drivers brief at Spa next year !!!
Old 20 Oct 2007, 20:28 (Ref:2045603)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agree, a great meeting; one of the best I've been to all year. Great cars, great weather, and (mostly!) good driving.

I didn't see the Cox/Vaulkhard incident either, but did take a few pics of the LC on the trailer at the end of the day; an absolute mess. I think that we were all looking forward to some Dan Cox sideways stuff in Luffield, and of course did not get even one lap. Anyway, this was one of the very few negatives on what was otherwise a great meeting with some close racing capped at the end of the day by a classic scrap in the Formula Junior race.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 21:09 (Ref:2045646)   #9
gojo
Rookie

gojo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the incident on video, basicly two mustange's getting excited, trying to win it on the first corner, poor Dans car not written off but load of cash to repair it, when will people ever learn not to try to win the race on the first corner.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 23:50 (Ref:2045723)   #10
Good Times
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey / Texas
Good Times should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And yet again a Hillman Imp gets the HRSR championship.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 07:21 (Ref:2045868)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
SOme people do get a little over excited at the start, throwing away the chance of a First ever championship and effectively handing it to a car that had a race on its own (Bullens Anglia had to retire also) It'll be interesting to see if theres any similarities in the GP this afternoon!!!
Sorry I doidn't say hello GoJo, I was on a mission to be home by 5, by the time I realised it was you I was gone!
Old 21 Oct 2007, 08:34 (Ref:2045901)   #12
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
It was good to welcome Zef and John Turner up in Race Control - never enough time for a good gossip .
Some great racing, perfect weather and I'm not going to comment on the start of the HRSR, save to say that there was resulting judicial action.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 10:01 (Ref:2045958)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojo
..... poor Dans car not written off but load of cash to repair it, .....
Better get this over with now so that people know what we are talking about!:-

Jo, I did see you by your car but you were so engrossed in conversation it would have been discourteous to interrupt. Sorry, anyway, and to other 10-Tenthers who I failed to catch up. I'm sure that it made not one scrap of difference to your day! Thanks to the less fortunate of you who I did manage to inflict myself upon, for your time and good humour. For me, this always makes these meetings even more pleasurable; it's not just about the racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Some great racing, perfect weather and I'm not going to comment on the start of the HRSR, save to say that there was resulting judicial action.
John, perfectly understood why you can't comment on the start, but are you allowed to provide the outcome of what that judicial action was, since it is a fact rather an opinion? It isn't a deterrent if it isn't made public.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 10:09 (Ref:2045965)   #14
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner

John, perfectly understood why you can't comment on the start, but are you allowed to provide the outcome of what that judicial action was, since it is a fact rather an opinion? It isn't a deterrent if it isn't made public.
I take your point John but it's a line that I won't cross in a 'public' forum - for a number of reasons..... not the least because of the appeals procedure!

Last edited by John Turner; 23 Oct 2007 at 18:30. Reason: Edited in error by me, now corrected, apologies
Old 21 Oct 2007, 21:32 (Ref:2046931)   #15
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would like to see the video of the incident......youtube??

We were at Luffield so no idea what went on. Apparently the commentators can't see Copse so they had no idea either. Never thought about it before but how stupid is that.................a circuit where the commentators can't see the first corner.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 07:28 (Ref:2047446)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Its Silverstone, its always been rubbish for seeing anything.

Unless your in race control.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 07:52 (Ref:2047474)   #17
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The silver Mustang on the outside moved across to the right and squashed the other two against the pit wall. Madness.
That aside, I thought this meeting was wonderful.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 17:31 (Ref:2048164)   #18
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly enjoyed my race too!
Old 22 Oct 2007, 21:57 (Ref:2048451)   #19
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You certainly looked to be enjoying it Gary. Doing the WHT?
Old 23 Oct 2007, 05:23 (Ref:2048643)   #20
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, can't afford it, I'm afraid.
Old 23 Oct 2007, 05:29 (Ref:2048646)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times
And yet again a Hillman Imp gets the HRSR championship.
Go the Imps! A shame to see the damage to the Corty though.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 19:35 (Ref:2050536)   #22
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Its Silverstone, its always been rubbish for seeing anything.

Unless your in race control.

You do not visit Race Control often then. Race Control has no windows, you can not see the circuit just 20 TV screens.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 09:05 (Ref:2053076)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit & Paddock

Now since it might still be a while before I can post any 'action' shots (but some from anyone else would be most welcome), here are a few snaps from pit and paddock. The first does not, of course, show Frank Lyons, but the distinctive helmet of our member, the good doctor, John Monson, who races under the very sharp banner, Ecurie Scalpel; check out his website:-

Last edited by John Turner; 30 Oct 2007 at 17:54.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 15:55 (Ref:2053359)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,were you at Luffield yesterday,I did watch from there for a while.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:17 (Ref:2053613)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Terence, yes I was there a couple of times. There weren't many spectators were there?