Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3302076)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2007 World Champion

Some may remember that Kimi only won the World Championship because a certain Felipe Massa (Brazil) who was leading his home Grand Prix, the final race of the season, allowed Raikkonen passed to clinch the title for Ferrari.

A mark of the man who in my opinion was and is the true World Champion of 2008, he lost three races through no fault of his own, while Hamilton lost points in several races all due to his own actions. If there was bad luck about it normally sought out Massa.

My own personal interest in Formula 1 has diminished enormously since the announcement, and my 60 some years of support for the Prancing Horse, does likewise.

Feel free to disagree.

bauble.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3302084)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If we apply the 'Would have; Could have; Should have' philosophy to any previous F1 season, then the F1 history books would have to be rewritten all over again.

What if Schumacher's Ferrari engine (usually extremely reliable) hadn't blown up at Suzuka in 2006, for example?

Last edited by Marbot; 11 Sep 2013 at 13:06.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3302085)   #3
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As a Tifosi, like you I have seen drivers come and go. It's never easy to see someone like Michael or Felipe get pushed out or someone who I never warmed up to, Kimi come in but it is all about the Scuderia to me.

Ferrari is bigger than the driver so my loyalties remain.

I wish Kimi only the best...NEXT season!

Forza Ferrari!
Old 11 Sep 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3302112)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm expecting problems, but I guess that's what Montezemolo wants.

Lat time there was two top drivers at Ferrari was Prost/Mansell and things didn't go well.

With two strong personalities in Kimi and Alonso, I can't see a friendly enviroment in the team. My bet is that Alonso will leave by the end of 2014.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3302113)   #5
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
If we apply the 'Would have; Could have; Should have' philosophy to any previous F1 season, then the F1 history books would have to be rewritten all over again.

What if Schumacher's Ferrari engine (usually extremely reliable) hadn't blown up at Suzuka in 2006, for example?
Quite agree about could have etc. which is why I said "for me...", few would disagree that not every year has the 'best driver' won, and probably explains why I never won the title.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 13:50 (Ref:3302118)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
As a Tifosi, like you I have seen drivers come and go. It's never easy to see someone like Michael or Felipe get pushed out or someone who I never warmed up to, Kimi come in but it is all about the Scuderia to me.

Forza Ferrari!
I EVEN warmed to Mansell when he drove for Maranello, but while understandable, the dismissal of Massa diminishes the team for me.

I am not trying to prove or justify anything with this thread, only emphasising the value that Felipe brought to Ferrari, and do so 'wearing my heart on my sleeve'.

bauble

Sentimental Old Git.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3302155)   #7
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
The OP's bias has made him forget Kimi's bad luck while at McLaren
Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3302261)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

Forza Ferrari!
Spritle, it's tifoso (did you change it? I thought I read it right?)
Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3302263)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
The OP's bias has made him forget Kimi's bad luck while at McLaren
Bit lost on this one Mark
Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3302266)   #10
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I'm expecting problems, but I guess that's what Montezemolo wants.

Lat time there was two top drivers at Ferrari was Prost/Mansell and things didn't go well.

With two strong personalities in Kimi and Alonso, I can't see a friendly enviroment in the team. My bet is that Alonso will leave by the end of 2014.
Seeing as how Massa beat Kimi, either they are/were both top drivers, or neither are. Either Massa/Kimi was also two top drivers, or Alonso will be the only top driver at Ferrari next year.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3302281)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Kimi had problems at Ferrari in 2008 and lost interest in racing, a funny thing for a racer, but it happened... what makes more odd to think why they wanted him back.

I have to agree with many around the world... Ferrari gone mad. but that's GOOD !
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3302302)   #12
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Bit lost on this one Mark
Well, the OP suggests Massa lost out to Kimi, only because of bad luck etc. That may be true, I can't recall, but if I recall correctly.. Kimi was good enough and fast enough to have won 2 Championships while at McLaren if he didn't have the car failures that he did.

Only my opinion of course, but to me, Kimi was (not sure about IS right now) the best there was in the early to late 2000s. I'm talking outright pace here, not outright application and "being bothered"
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3302321)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Well, the OP suggests Massa lost out to Kimi, only because of bad luck etc. That may be true, I can't recall, but if I recall correctly.. Kimi was good enough and fast enough to have won 2 Championships while at McLaren if he didn't have the car failures that he did.

Only my opinion of course, but to me, Kimi was (not sure about IS right now) the best there was in the early to late 2000s. I'm talking outright pace here, not outright application and "being bothered"
Mark, are you confused or have I lost the plot?
My original post referred to 2008, Kimi won in 2007. 2008 is the year which in my eyes Massa was the Champion.

I have never contended that he lost out to Kimi due to bad luck in any year.

Remember I am 76 years old and have many a Senior Moment so please be gentle.

Regards,

bauble.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3302326)   #14
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Kimi had problems at Ferrari in 2008 and lost interest in racing, a funny thing for a racer, but it happened... what makes more odd to think why they wanted him back.
Ah right, the problems excuse. Did he also have problems in 2007 when Massa out-qualified him and was close to him in race pace? Did he have problems in that half-season in 2009 when Massa held the upper hand as well?

If you discount Massa as you have done, Kimi has never beaten a top driver in the same car, so what makes you think he's as good as you think he is?
Old 11 Sep 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3302339)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Uh, wait. I'm not "discounting" Massa. One thing is say he's a top driver, which he is. He has been twice runner up with McLaren and this season he has been up there in the top, challenging the championship. Being outqualified by Massa says more about Massa than Raikkonen.
The last weeks we saw how he's highly wanted in the grid. You may not think he's a top driver or fast or whatever, but to the motorsports community he is, and, well that's true.
I respect your opinion, after all, that's your opinion. All I did was pointing that he had internal problems with Ferrari, and that's odd that they wanted him back.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3302342)   #16
MarkG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Ah right, the problems excuse. Did he also have problems in 2007 when Massa out-qualified him and was close to him in race pace? Did he have problems in that half-season in 2009 when Massa held the upper hand as well?

If you discount Massa as you have done, Kimi has never beaten a top driver in the same car, so what makes you think he's as good as you think he is?
ok, in a Kimi sort of way.. just forget I posted anything
thanks
Old 11 Sep 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3302358)   #17
Beryl
Veteran

Quote:
Uh, wait. I'm not "discounting" Massa. One thing is say he's a top driver, which he is. He has been twice runner up with McLaren and this season he has been up there in the top, challenging the championship. Being outqualified by Massa says more about Massa than Raikkonen.
The last weeks we saw how he's highly wanted in the grid. You may not think he's a top driver or fast or whatever, but to the motorsports community he is, and, well that's true.
I respect your opinion, after all, that's your opinion. All I did was pointing that he had internal problems with Ferrari, and that's odd that they wanted him back.
I respect your opinion as well. I still think Kimi is a very good driver, not as fast as Vettel or Alonso but still faster than most, a driver on the level of Webber, Button and Rosberg. I'm not alone in my opinion, and the popular opinion is not always the right one. I guess we'll see how Kimi does next year, maybe it'll open some eyes.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3302426)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi is better than Webber.

Massa, nice guy, had some good wins. Is F1, Ferrari, or my enjoyment of F1 diminished by this? No. It's just change.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3302458)   #19
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Kimi is better than Webber.

Massa, nice guy, had some good wins. Is F1, Ferrari, or my enjoyment of F1 diminished by this? No. It's just change.
Massa might be a nice guy, but there's no interest for him being in a top 4 team. He can't win anymore, even if he had the speed Alonso won't allow him to win. For spectators, what does Massa bring F1 with Ferrari? Nothing really.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3302470)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I think Massa never fully recovered from being hit in the head by the Brawn spring!

You cannot compare his results against his team mates before the head injury and after.:Shrug

Maybe McLaren could be interested?

I still think he is much faster than he is given credit for!

Look at Monza qualifying!

I also believe he has been running a Ferrari development program in the second car!

Last edited by wnut; 11 Sep 2013 at 23:24.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 23:53 (Ref:3302475)   #21
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
+1, I hope he stays in F1 . He may be an altogether different driver without the pressure of Ferrari on his shoulders . Whatever happens , all the best and good luck "Felipe Baby" !
Old 12 Sep 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3302491)   #22
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He won't be the same without Rob Smedley and I don't see Rob moving teams.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3302498)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
He won't be the same without Rob Smedley and I don't see Rob moving teams.
Will be interesting to see how Kimi gets on with Rob!

Rob likes chatting to his drivers apparently, and we all know how well that goes down with the Kimster!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3302692)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

It will be interesting to see what will go on between them in the 7 remaining races, some emotional moments are coming.