Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Jan 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2379125)   #251
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sour grapes have started already with monty moaning that he prolly had less wing yet couldn't stay with the porsche even in the tow. that aside, what a cracking race, its just a shame we saw so little of it...
Old 25 Jan 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2379126)   #252
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brilliant piece of strategy by Brumos to put Donohue back into the car for the last hour. Garcia just didn't seem to be getting it done. In the end it was poetic justice that Brumos won as they were the fastest all day and night and would have been a lap ahead without all of the yellows.

DK
Old 25 Jan 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2379129)   #253
slick42
Racer

England
Selby, North Yorkshire
slick42 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The advantage that Porsche have really needs to be addressed. The Ganassi car was running a lower downforce set up but was still blown away in the flatout parts of the track.

Great race though and a nicer guy couldn't have won (Donohue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
sour grapes have started already with monty moaning that he prolly had less wing yet couldn't stay with the porsche even in the tow. that aside, what a cracking race, its just a shame we saw so little of it...
I hardly see how it's sour grapes, its the truth. The team put in 2 months of preparation and probably had the best car, only to be let down by Grand Am and the laack of engine parity
Old 25 Jan 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2379132)   #254
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Brilliant piece of strategy by Brumos to put Donohue back into the car for the last hour. Garcia just didn't seem to be getting it done. In the end it was poetic justice that Brumos won as they were the fastest all day and night and would have been a lap ahead without all of the yellows.

DK
They were getting a lap or two less on fuel mileage I think, so they'd've made more pitstops. So I wouldn't have just handed it to them in that case although they were clearly the fastest.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2379134)   #255
jp_olifer
Rookie

Portugal
jp_olifer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great race by Brumos! It's incredible how Barbosa managed to keep the #59 at the front... any works teams watching?
Old 25 Jan 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2379135)   #256
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yeah, sour grapes, stating a fact.

Brumos did deserve it though, they were the dominant force. That engine really pulled in top gear.

Second was an excellent result for Ganassi all things considered.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2379138)   #257
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know it was stating a fact, it was just the manner in which he did so that made me think it was sour grapes. nothing can belittle how good that race was tho, and Brumos deserved that.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2379139)   #258
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Those porsche motors are like nothing else in that class. I guess part has to do with the fact that that engine is the only direct injection. You could right under the gearbox of the porsche and it would drag you like gangbusters down the straightaway. This is reminiscent of the peugot on the audi at petit lemans.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2379140)   #259
b555
Rookie

b555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Typical of the CGR guys.When the lexus engine had the power advantage they were not complaining.I did not hear them say that something needs to be done.but last year with the ford & this year the porsche & the ford they are complaining that they have to much horsepower.maybe it's time for TRD to develop a new engine.that is what Ford & Porsche did when they were down on horsepower.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2379142)   #260
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer
Those porsche motors are like nothing else in that class. I guess part has to do with the fact that that engine is the only direct injection. You could right under the gearbox of the porsche and it would drag you like gangbusters down the straightaway. This is reminiscent of the peugot on the audi at petit lemans.
The situation is IMO similar to when Audi brought the Diesel to LM: A new engine and no one knew just exactly how good it would be. The sanctioning body has to guess and imposes some restrictions. GARRA got pretty close, but not close enough. I expect a weight penalty for the porsches before the next round. Maybe another 50 lbs. Or maybe a lower redline.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2379149)   #261
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
i know it was stating a fact, it was just the manner in which he did so that made me think it was sour grapes. nothing can belittle how good that race was tho, and Brumos deserved that.
I think his choice of word was poor: "unfair".

Fact is, motorsport has never been fair. He's right in what he's saying, but it does come across a bit bad I agree.

How frustrating it must be to drive that hard but get blown off like that on the banking.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2379153)   #262
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While it appeared that the Porsches did have the overall power advantage, Ganassi's #01 car was two laps down after they repaired their splitter and they still managed to catch up and be in position to win. The final group of 4 was two Porsches, 1 Lexus and 1 Ford, so not complete domination. It would have been interesting if all the Fords (except one) hadn't been sabotaged by that one part. Didn't Almendinger blow by the Brumos Porsche at one point a few laps before the car just cut out on him? Anyway, it was a fun race to kick off the season. It would be nice if Sebring was similar in last lap suspense.

DK
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2379161)   #263
KSR88
Rookie

United States
California
KSR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that Brumos ran the old Reily body work......perhaps that was some of the advantage.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2379164)   #264
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Danica's team didnt do to bad. They started out in the back and were out early in the race, came back in and placed 8th. Not bad.

I liked how Danica said her door came open out on the track. Thats not good.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2379167)   #265
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The unfair advantage, fair enough.

After spending the weekend in the garage I only got to see the last 40 minutes. I enjoyed it and it was a fun finish.

However I have it recorded so I can spend some time finding people I think were miserable after 24 hours

Quote:
The first thing he said was that the boys did a great job and that they did fantastic to be even second. Then he said something interesting about wing levels, giving us insight. From his pov it was 'unfair', although as he said second was still a "great thing". Memo also had "sour grapes", he pointed out the power difference and called for it to be addressed. He said they deserved the win though.

Last edited by Adam43; 25 Jan 2009 at 21:48.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2379174)   #266
b555
Rookie

Was also suprising to see that crawford had so many issues with their car.they improved the aero,mechanical grip & the cars balance according to crawford.they still have some work to do.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:58 (Ref:2379181)   #267
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Wasn't the Ford traced to a specific part? And they supposedly took a couple of each engine after quali to spec them out so I'm sure updated specs will be released before VIR. A couple teams were claiming the dyno numbers looked real close earlier this year so maybe it is just the faster rev climb of the flat 6 helping them get up to top end faster.

Either way, great result for Brumos just wish it wasn't another Riley winning.
This is what i believe about the Porsche motor too. It may have the same amount of HP as the Lexus but it was geared for greater top end and has a more usable power. Just because you have 525 HP does not mean that it get's put down well.Two cars can have the same HP but one can have higher top speed due to gear ratios, downforce, quality of the engine
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2379183)   #268
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b555
it still has 6 cylinders
So does a straight-6, does that make it a V6 aswell?
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2379199)   #269
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r
So does a straight-6, does that make it a V6 aswell?
Technically, yes. It's a V6 where the angle between the V is 180 degrees.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:32 (Ref:2379204)   #270
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Technically that is a boxer engine not a straight six.

However, Daytona 24...
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2379214)   #271
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan
Technically, yes. It's a V6 where the angle between the V is 180 degrees.
That is incorect. A straight six is 6 straight cylinders in one line. The boxer engine is the V that is 180 degrees hence, box
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:52 (Ref:2379216)   #272
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
look at this quote from speedtv in a question answer mailbag
"Porsche: The 3.99-liter flat six is based on the 911 GT3 RS street car engine, but the race engine delivers 540 hp, so it is highly modified."

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ilbag-answers/
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2379220)   #273
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer
That is incorect. A straight six is 6 straight cylinders in one line.
No, that's an inline six.

Quote:
The boxer engine is the V that is 180 degrees hence, box
I was reading "straight" and thinking this engine because that's the Porsche engine I always think of.

And that's a flat six.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 25 Jan 2009 at 22:56.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2379223)   #274
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan
No, that's an inline six.

I was reading "straight" and thinking this engine because that's the Porsche engine I always think of.

And that's a flat six.
They are the same i looked it up inline6=straight 6
Old 25 Jan 2009, 23:00 (Ref:2379224)   #275
b555
Rookie

you have to admit that porsche did a excellent job with their 6 cylinder boxer engine.