Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 11 Aug 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1679799)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre screeching

when I've driven a saloon car on a twisty track I've noticed that i hardly get any tyre screeching, yet some other people in the same car on the same track get lots. I didn't know their lap times to compare.

So am i not pushing enough or are they pushing too much ? or am i just smoother ?
Old 11 Aug 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1679824)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Same tyres (and amount of tread) Woody? I have noticed tyre pattens and types make a differnce.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1679826)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Same car and same track. Were they the same tyres? I've noticed differences in tyres. For instance I've always found Pirellis (P6000) screech more than most. I always found it quite reassuring!

When on stickier stuff I find that there is less screeching, even when the limit has gone! I guess this is to be expected.

More generally it doesn't always mean you are going quicker, the only way to tell are the lap times.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1679980)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
yes it was the same road tyres.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1680057)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Same car, both sets buffed? An unbuffed set will squeal like a banshee usually, especially if a list 1A. I would imagine tracking alterations would also make a differnce as one car will have more tyre slip angle than the other unless all things were set equal, also roll will make a difference.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1680094)   #6
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
everything was the same, just 15 to 30 minutes apart - it was a race school car, which is why i think its something to do with the driving style.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1680179)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too much steering lock, front wheels shrieking in complaint at nearly-terminal understeer I suspect. Smoother driver doesn't punish them so much, probably ends up quyicker too.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1680185)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Especially towards the end of the race when the screecher will have cooked them for sure!
Old 11 Aug 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1680270)   #9
Simon Fox
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lichfield
Simon Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'sall about slip angles
Old 12 Aug 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1680469)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As mentioned, if you find the screechy point then back off what is causing it a little - you could find that faster.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1680627)   #11
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
ok thanks for the replies
Old 12 Aug 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1680691)   #12
Simon Mason
Rookie

Ireland
Northampton
Simon Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is impossible to drive a treaded tyre car quickly (I'm mean as quick as it will let you go) without screaching the tyres. Thats what happens when you get blocks of rubber twisting and it can't be helped. Hell, even slicks sqeal slightly although mostly heard inside the car.

What you should be aware of is not how they squeal but when. If they squeal all the way to the exit, its bad, if they don't squeal at all the chances are you have more speed to come, if however they "start" to squeal going into the apex then start going quieter from the apex with no noise at all just after the apex chances you got it pretty much right.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 02:35 (Ref:1681712)   #13
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Mason
It is impossible to drive a treaded tyre car quickly (I'm mean as quick as it will let you go) without screaching the tyres. Thats what happens when you get blocks of rubber twisting and it can't be helped. Hell, even slicks sqeal slightly although mostly heard inside the car.

What you should be aware of is not how they squeal but when. If they squeal all the way to the exit, its bad, if they don't squeal at all the chances are you have more speed to come, if however they "start" to squeal going into the apex then start going quieter from the apex with no noise at all just after the apex chances you got it pretty much right.
I know exactly what you are talking about - I like to describe it as the tyre "humming" rather than screaching. Smoothness is everything , if it is not smooth the sound is very "sharp" and you will just cook the outside of the tyre. It is about the feel of the weight transfer.

Clumbsy drivers will often resort to more camber than someone who is more balanced, however, this effects brakes and traction.

Last edited by Notso Swift; 14 Aug 2006 at 02:37.