Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Oct 2020, 15:33 (Ref:4008534)   #251
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
One for you EB cose you're damn good with wiki.
If I say four walls, thousands of bricks and a first for a car accessory you know too well, you tell me? "caution" is the first clue…*
Old 5 Oct 2020, 05:55 (Ref:4008632)   #252
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bon, j'ai la sensation étrange que je dois t'aider, sinon nous allons passer pour deux idiots… Moi surtout!
Car racing. Bricks. Lots of bricks. Back in the old days. Very old, bauble's era. A first for a car accessory which became mandatory on any car. You tell me…………
Old 5 Oct 2020, 06:36 (Ref:4008635)   #253
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Bon, j'ai la sensation étrange que je dois t'aider, sinon nous allons passer pour deux idiots… Moi surtout!
Car racing. Bricks. Lots of bricks. Back in the old days. Very old, bauble's era. A first for a car accessory which became mandatory on any car. You tell me…………
Are we talking about a 'Brickyard' Mpn ami?
Old 5 Oct 2020, 09:18 (Ref:4008651)   #254
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
is this a reference to ray harroun & cyrus patchs marmon wasp using a rear view mirror for the 1st. time.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4008658)   #255
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes RB, impossible to have you in our Club! And you did mention Cyrus doing him justice for the 35 laps he did. In total the race lasted c 7 hours and after a lot of discussions the use of a mirror was forbidden!
Some say the victory was Ralph Mulford's and his Lozier but who can say for sure now?

Oui, mon Ami Robert, the re was Indianapolis. First time a rear view mirror was used on a racing car. Hope EB will send a picture from the yellow car.

Last edited by Gerard C; 5 Oct 2020 at 10:45. Reason: A very good reason…
Old 5 Oct 2020, 10:46 (Ref:4008659)   #256
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
All in all a very good question !
Old 5 Oct 2020, 11:13 (Ref:4008661)   #257
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Very old, bauble's era. A first for a car accessory which became mandatory on any car. You tell me…………
Im thinkinking Coloseum, Chariots and wheels with spikes.... very popular at the time I believe. Bob will have photos taken on the day.

Edit: Just seen the later posts.

Quote:
Oui, mon Ami Robert, the re was Indianapolis. First time a rear view mirror was used on a racing car. Hope EB will send a picture from the yellow car.
You mean the Marmon Wasp.....

and in colour....

Old 5 Oct 2020, 11:14 (Ref:4008662)   #258
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marmon Wasp

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marmon Wasp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	64532Click image for larger version

Name:	Marmon Wasp (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	4.87 MB
ID:	64533
Old 5 Oct 2020, 12:15 (Ref:4008667)   #259
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RBS has provided the right answer to the last picture puzzle. Anyone else?
Old 5 Oct 2020, 13:14 (Ref:4008674)   #260
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No!

Thanks EB, very nice, well done.

I'm a great F1 driver. Almost world champion. Unique in some respect. But really upset because my car is almost stolen during a race by a foreign mechanic who wrecked his own engine. Who am I?
Old 5 Oct 2020, 13:15 (Ref:4008675)   #261
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, I will try an easy one. It concerns this gentleman.

Firstly who is he?

He gave a name to a corner on a famous circuit, named after 'body parts'.
What track, what body part / name of the corner, and bonus points for the story.

Edit: Whoops did not realise whilst I was writing my question Gerry slipped in another one..... I guess there are no reasons why we cant have two questions to answer.

I will throw Regga in as my answer to Gerry's question.
Attached Thumbnails
Where am I.jpg  
Old 5 Oct 2020, 14:40 (Ref:4008690)   #262
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Yes RB, impossible to have you in our Club! And you did mention Cyrus doing him justice for the 35 laps he did. In total the race lasted c 7 hours and after a lot of discussions the use of a mirror was forbidden!

Cyrus P also drove another Marmon in the same race.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 14:54 (Ref:4008692)   #263
bauble
Veteran

England
Who am I?

Why you are a German of course.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 14:57 (Ref:4008693)   #264
bauble
Veteran

England
That is Jack Forrest, EB, and he is famous for his elbow.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 15:04 (Ref:4008694)   #265
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
NSU. Mount Panorama. Devil's elbow.

No, not Regga, much older is the story…
Old 5 Oct 2020, 15:08 (Ref:4008696)   #266
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Is that Devil's elbow became Forrest elbow?
Old 5 Oct 2020, 15:32 (Ref:4008702)   #267
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Is that Devil's elbow became Forrest elbow?
Bauble answered to question correctly first, and (by PM) knew the story.

To fill in the details for others, Yes, it was the downhill reverse camber left hander onto the Conrod Straight at Mt Panorama Bathurst, originally known as Devils Elbow but became Forrest's Elbow after Jack Forrest made a major mess of his elbow, crashing in practice at the Easter Motorcycle races in 1947. Despite his injuries Jack had the handlebars on his Norton especially bent so he could operate the controls and started the race. He was leading the race but his Norton expired leaving him to DNF.

But other riders had already nicknamed the corner Forrest's Elbow and the name stuck.

Well done Bob.... you win a night out with GerryMo.Pick up your own tabs!

Edit: Jack Forrest was actually quite an interesting person, a bit of a larrikin as we would say, but was certainly from an era when they were brave men. Some very interesting / amusing stories exist.... here is an article about him which is quite a good read.

https://www.oldbikemag.com.au/jack-f...e-elbow-sport/

Last edited by E.B; 5 Oct 2020 at 15:43.
Old 5 Oct 2020, 16:19 (Ref:4008711)   #268
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nice and interesting questions, good reading vielen Danke!
Old 5 Oct 2020, 16:36 (Ref:4008712)   #269
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Nice and easy question now, What links all of these cars?

Name:	puzzle   (1).JPG
Views:	5
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	64542Click image for larger version

Name:	puzzle   (2).JPG
Views:	4
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	64543Click image for larger version

Name:	puzzle   (3).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	64544

Name:	puzzle   (4).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	829.3 KB
ID:	64545Click image for larger version

Name:	puzzle   (5).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	988.3 KB
ID:	64546Click image for larger version

Name:	puzzle   (6).JPG
Views:	4
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	64547
Old 5 Oct 2020, 17:54 (Ref:4008725)   #270
scott fisher
Rookie

scott fisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Grass
I’m Stupido material 😁
Old 5 Oct 2020, 19:29 (Ref:4008739)   #271
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
While we are here… FIAT engine?
Old 5 Oct 2020, 19:35 (Ref:4008740)   #272
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Surprised that neither bauble nor RB were able to answer my question…
Old 5 Oct 2020, 22:31 (Ref:4008763)   #273
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Who am I?

Why you are a German of course.
GerryMo, without checking I am assuming you are referring to the pre-war Mercedes Benz team where ex-mechanic Lang was a star, but not popular driver. I would need to research the period to id the event you are describing.

Am I on the right track, Mon ami?
Old 6 Oct 2020, 01:26 (Ref:4008772)   #274
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Re the picture quiz.... all have Targa Florio history?

Edit: Oh wait I just remembered the group V Montecarlo was in the images and after the days of the Targa as a WEC Championship event.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 05:31 (Ref:4008785)   #275
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Bauble, its post WWII and not Merc.