Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Aug 2018, 06:46 (Ref:3843948)   #26
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There likely won’t be any current BTCC drivers, but what about all the old ones......

Anyone visiting the Revival just to see Jenson Button will be disappointed, as the suggested JD Classics entry for him is not happening, according to Autosport today. The company has also decided not to enter a car for Chris Ward, normally a front runner in any of the Jaguar Heritage fleet.....
From what I remember from last year Chris Ward drove more like a BTCC driver than anyone which was unnecessary, he's a good driver who shouldn't need to make so much contact. maybe that has something to do with the decision?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 07:31 (Ref:3843952)   #27
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at a Revival a few years ago (2012?) before the more recent trends for numerous high profile BTCC drivers in front running cars started to appear. Rob Huff, who by then had moved on to the WTCC, was driving a mid-grid car and I remember thinking at the time I hadn't seen much (if any) publicity about him. My thinking then was 'good for him' to see a young and at the time very successful driver competing in the event with no big publicity fanfare.

The same applied to Andy Jordan who I also saw many times competing in more 'routine' historic events e.g. at Donington. Although it could be argued since then he's more to the fore in the current BTCC set at Goodwood.

But there's certainly been a conscious move by Goodwood to bring in and promote the more 'direct' crop of drivers. To the detriment of the event maybe?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3843954)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think you can criticise the driving of saloons by pro's, any more you can the owners, some are very quick, others not so, some stay cool, some don't.

It's the attitude and approach to preparation and the cars themselves which varies wildly, and frankly, shouldn't. They're supposed to be standard production cars with a few tweaks. To be vaguely competitive now requires something completely different.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 08:04 (Ref:3843958)   #29
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"It's my party and I cry if I want to."

Charles January.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3843962)   #30
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
"It's my party and I cry if I want to."

Charles January.

Charles January?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3843963)   #31
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Charles January?
Libel laws … think about it!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 09:52 (Ref:3843973)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Anyone visiting the Revival just to see Jenson Button will be disappointed, as the suggested JD Classics entry for him is not happening, according to Autosport today. The company has also decided not to enter a car for Chris Ward, normally a front runner in any of the Jaguar Heritage fleet.....
Hmm, thereby hangs a tale.

A lot of people have a beef with Chris W but I quite like him. I did wind him up a bit last year at Portugal after his BTCC emulating run in that Jaguar. He took it in good part.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3843976)   #33
bauble
Veteran

England
https://www.goodwood.com/media-centr...dwood-revival/

What was that you were saying about the BTCC?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3843984)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
What was that you were saying about the BTCC?
The Goodwood PR people seem fixated by it. Perhaps their motorsport knowledge is limited to that they see on ITV.....
Old 16 Aug 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3843997)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Goodwood PR people seem fixated by it. Perhaps their motorsport knowledge is limited to that they see on ITV.....
I suppose that the problem is to the casual punter, BTCC drivers are the second highest profile racing drivers next to F1 because of the coverage the series gets on TV and other media.
It's only the real enthusiasts who know the truth!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3844004)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
In a nutshell, sadly......
Old 16 Aug 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3844007)   #37
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the end of the Press release re the "pro" drivers is this puzzle for media people to solve.

Editor’s Notes
The 2018 Goodwood Revival is on 7-9 September.

Please note media accreditation for the Revival closes on Friday 24 September.

Old 16 Aug 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3844017)   #38
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
At the end of the Press release re the "pro" drivers is this puzzle for media people to solve.

Editor’s Notes
The 2018 Goodwood Revival is on 7-9 September.

Please note media accreditation for the Revival closes on Friday 24 September.

Well, bear in mind Revival is a 'retrospective' event!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3844018)   #39
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Well, bear in mind Revival is a 'retrospective' event!

I was contemplating how far forward or back I might need to go to find a Friday 24th September.

Decided it's not worth the effort!

However I am fully supportive of keeping an event current as long as possible having spent so much preparing for it.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3844019)   #40
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I suppose that the problem is to the casual punter, BTCC drivers are the second highest profile racing drivers next to F1 because of the coverage the series gets on TV and other media.
It's only the real enthusiasts who know the truth!
With due resect to our honoured members, I suspect advertising the presence of;

Peter Mallet Mike Bell, John Ruston
n .. might not grab the average punters attention to the same degree, as Jenson Button, Gordon Shedden at al, even If I would much prefer the former names.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3844020)   #41
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I find interesting to share a car with a pro driver. Not only for lap times but to help in finding a better set up and suggesting ideas you didn't have before.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3844022)   #42
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I was contemplating how far forward or back I might need to go to find a Friday 24th September.

Decided it's not worth the effort!

However I am fully supportive of keeping an event current as long as possible having spent so much preparing for it.
Goodwood media department is not what it was; it used to be run by people who knew what they were doing & what they were talking about , but like much of the rest of it, have strayed too far from what was once a very good event. I've only missed two Revivals to date (force majeure!) but I am not bothering this year - there was a time when I said if I only did one event a year, Revival would be it, but not any more.

So, sorry Baubel, but I will not be able to enjoy a breakfast bap with you whilst watching the early-morning aircraft arrivals, as we have done on a few occasions!

Last edited by John Elwin; 16 Aug 2018 at 15:14. Reason: Deletion of repeated words
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3844024)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
With due resect to our honoured members, I suspect advertising the presence of;

Peter Mallet Mike Bell, John Ruston
n .. might not grab the average punters attention to the same degree, as Jenson Button, Gordon Shedden at al, even If I would much prefer the former names.
True. But Peter Mallett would promote a different reaction.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3844025)   #44
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the negatives about the Revival are valid, and I doubt I will go again, but that apart there is no finer place to be than at the exit of Madgwick watching a top driver skitter a historic car through on the edge and then howl past just feet away over the fence. That I do miss.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3844026)   #45
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
True. But Peter Mallett would promote a different reaction.

Just hammering it home, Peter?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:48 (Ref:3844028)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Just hammering it home, Peter?
You have it to a "t".
Old 16 Aug 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3844030)   #47
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
All the negatives about the Revival are valid, and I doubt I will go again, but that apart there is no finer place to be than at the exit of Madgwick watching a top driver skitter a historic car through on the edge and then howl past just feet away over the fence. That I do miss.

You're quite right, it's a wonderful circuit to spectate, but... The early Revivals were great events, when all the retro stuff made a fitting backdrop to the racing. However, in recent years the emphasis has changed, & now it seems the racing simply provides the backdrop for 'lifestyle', but c'est la vie.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3844034)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
sorry Baubel, but I will not be able to enjoy a breakfast bap with you whilst watching the early-morning aircraft arrivals, as we have done on a few occasions!
You could afford to eat there?

Who paid?
Old 16 Aug 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3844036)   #49
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
You could afford to eat there?

Who paid?

Whoever was sponsoring press catering that year...

I have been told the story behind catering prices at Goodwood but I'd better not put it on here!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3844070)   #50
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Goodwood media department is not what it was; it used to be run by people who knew what they were doing & what they were talking about!