Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2853948)   #1
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Petrov v Heidfeld

The Russian comfortably trounced the bearded journeyman in Australia. Is this how it will play out for the remainder of the season? Or can Heidfeld pull it back?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2853950)   #2
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There must have been something wrong with Heidfeld's car today. He will be up there in Malaysia if he gets qualifying right.

Excellent drive from Petrov though.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2853954)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heidfeld is a wily driver but he has been on the wane. Petrov's a loose cannon. No idea how this will pan out.

In any case its all about Robert.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2853966)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think there is a massive gap between Petrov and Kubica when both are at the top of their game. Petrov just lacks experience and consistency. I don't think he is as good as Kubica but he ain't that far off.

Interesting how he shines when the team isn't centred round Robert too.

Heidfeld? Disastrous start. He will be much better than this.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2853976)   #5
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Heidfeld was involved in a crash and his car was quite damaged. However he should qualify better anyway.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2853986)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Petrovs performance today shows how capable he is. Heidfeld's extra F1 experience in the past may help with car development and set-up, I think it'll take him a few races to get out of "test driver" mode but I think that Petrovs experience within the team will give him the advantage.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2854030)   #7
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can't help feeling it should have been Hulkenberg.

Sure Heidfeld will get quicker, but this weekend was almost like watching Fisichella trying to get to grips with a Ferrari, way below the potential of the car. Odd.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2854121)   #8
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Questions must be being asked at Renault, since Heidfeld was effectively brought in to be a temporary No 1 and lead the team, and then Petrov is the one who puts it on the podium, with Heidfeld only bringing it home ahead of the new teams.

How long is Kubica likely to be out for, by the way?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2854156)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I did develop some doubts about Heidfeld last year when Kobayashi was ahead (although I suspect Kamui is a bit special). Let's not go overboard though. It was one qualifying session that put paid to a good result.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:59 (Ref:2854158)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Petrov owned Heidfeld this weekend
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2854172)   #11
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I did develop some doubts about Heidfeld last year when Kobayashi was ahead (although I suspect Kamui is a bit special). Let's not go overboard though. It was one qualifying session that put paid to a good result.
But Heidfeld was there or thereabouts with Kobayashi last year, despite not knowing the car. When you look at other drivers who joined after a lengthy lay off (e.g. Villeneuve in '04 and Schumacher last year) he did quite well all considering.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2854177)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Heidfeld did a respectable job last year, coming in half way through the season dispite a lack of testing and he was the obvious choice to replace Kubica this season. Maybe today was a one off, or maybe Abu Dhabi has given Petrov so much confidence that hes been able to up his game.

I notice too that the Renault boss was keen to stress that Petrov contributed alot to the cars development over the winter.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2854242)   #13
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor View Post
Apparently Heidfeld was involved in a crash and his car was quite damaged. However he should qualify better anyway.
Heidfeld would have qualified had he not been badly held up (by Schumacher, I understand, an act MS was reprimanded for, along with Hamilton and Rosberg.... why were they not penalised btw? Found guilty but not punished? Favouritism because of the names involved?)

Whether the team were trying to be smart and save a set of tyres by having him run so late in Q1 was stupid. Heidfeld is the sort of guy that needs to post a good banker lap first, the full pressure lap against the clock is not and never has been his forte.

I am sure he will be back on the pace, and setting times comparable with Petrov in Malaysia. I still reckon Nick will end up with more points than Petrov this season. (Yes I believe that he will be there all year. I cant see Kubica getting back in the car and being able to operate at full capacity, certainly not in 2011.)

However it was indeed a resounding win by Petrov over Heidfeld this weekend. Equally, three good races in a row from Petrov (to add to Abu Dhabi 2010 and Australia this weekend) is something of previously uncharted territory for him. Mind you he is showing somewhat greater composure and consistency in his driving compared to say early last year.

Last edited by E.B; 27 Mar 2011 at 15:41.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2854286)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
I do wonder if his mentality has changed this year as he's not driving in "Kubica's team".
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2854338)   #15
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
...Is this how it will play out for the remainder of the season? ...
I dont think anyone with half a brain expects that. Heidfeld has a very unfortunet AND uninspired weekend, but thats not his usual himself, and he wont get people torpedo-ing and writing his rear off every race. Besides he made the best start of the field with a P18 to P12. Defo much much more to come.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2854348)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
I dont think anyone with half a brain expects that.
I don't think anyone with half a brain expected him to get dusted by Petrov in Melbourne, but that's what happened. I'm sure Heidfeld will improve, but I think Petrov will give him more trouble than he ever would've given Kubica.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2854355)   #17
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Heidfeld would have qualified had he not been badly held up (by Schumacher, I understand, an act MS was reprimanded for, along with Hamilton and Rosberg.... why were they not penalised btw? Found guilty but not punished? Favouritism because of the names involved?)

Whether the team were trying to be smart and save a set of tyres by having him run so late in Q1 was stupid. Heidfeld is the sort of guy that needs to post a good banker lap first, the full pressure lap against the clock is not and never has been his forte.

I am sure he will be back on the pace, and setting times comparable with Petrov in Malaysia. I still reckon Nick will end up with more points than Petrov this season. (Yes I believe that he will be there all year. I cant see Kubica getting back in the car and being able to operate at full capacity, certainly not in 2011.)

However it was indeed a resounding win by Petrov over Heidfeld this weekend. Equally, three good races in a row from Petrov (to add to Abu Dhabi 2010 and Australia this weekend) is something of previously uncharted territory for him. Mind you he is showing somewhat greater composure and consistency in his driving compared to say early last year.
I'm a big Heidfeld fan. And I agree with this entirely. People talked of getting experience in to usurp Bruno Senna at Renault and they narrowed the selection down to Heidfeld and Hulkenberg. Hulkenberg is good, but he is not experienced. Not like Heidfeld. And not really any more than Senna himself. Heidfeld will prevail - but Petrov was very impressive this weekend, and good on him.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2854356)   #18
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how much more comfortable Petrov is in the car and on a race weekend when Kubica isnt the centre of the universe for Renault. Also, who has Kubicas race mechanics and engineers?

Would be interesting to know if Petrov has picked up some of Kubicas race engineers and mechanics and Heidfeld is making do with lasrgely the Petrov team. Like it or not at the end of the 2007 and 2008 seasons Renault lost many of its senior race engineers and mechanics etc to Red Bull when it was on its big recruitement drive. Perhaps they cant field two equally strong race cars every weekend because whilst I did expect Heidfled to struggle like he did last year.....I didnt expect the hammering he received
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2854361)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Petrov owns Heidfeld. But see "Webber vs Vettel" thread....in fact, see any other driver thread.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2854365)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
I wonder how much more comfortable Petrov is in the car and on a race weekend when Kubica isnt the centre of the universe for Renault. Also, who has Kubicas race mechanics and engineers?
Simon Rennie was Kubica's race engineer in 2010 and is Heidfeld's in 2011. So it looks as if there's been no change on that score.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2854375)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
I wonder how much more comfortable Petrov is in the car and on a race weekend when Kubica isnt the centre of the universe for Renault.
this, basically. it's team kubica, the team in its various guises has always been the sort of team that requires a figurehead driver rather than two cooperating teammates.

controversial viewpoint ahead: i know they really miss kubica but i thought it was a bit cruel to be waving around posters saying how much they miss kubica when petrov had just done such a quality job to finish third. it was petrov's moment for delivering on the promise and the hard work over the winter, and manning up when required when kubica was injured. i know how important kubica is and how terrible it was for him to be injured and we all wish him a speedy recovery but...
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2854378)   #22
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by badoer fan View Post

How long is Kubica likely to be out for, by the way?
Probably forever. He got really seriously hurt in that accident.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2854379)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
controversial viewpoint ahead: i know they really miss kubica but i thought it was a bit cruel to be waving around posters saying how much they miss kubica when petrov had just done such a quality job to finish third. it was petrov's moment for delivering on the promise and the hard work over the winter, and manning up when required when kubica was injured. i know how important kubica is and how terrible it was for him to be injured and we all wish him a speedy recovery but...
Kubica is in hospital. He has been in hospital for the last six weeks or so. His colleagues at Renault no doubt wanted to send him a message of support on what was undoubtedly a difficult and frustrating weekend for him. That probably includes Petrov and Heidfeld, so there's no need to be offended on their behalf.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2854392)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oh no i understand that entirely it just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. just saying, that's all. in the same way anyone else is passing ridiculous judgement on other aspects of drivers races.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2854405)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Heidfeld had car damage in the race and a KERS problem in qualifying, so let's not be too hard on him.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...ted-by-damage/