Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2853992)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DC and Brundle commentary

What did everyone think?

I thought Martin filled the lead role very well. Effortlessly in fact. I wasn't sure how he'd do and, at the least, expected him to take a few races to get going.

DC was very good also. Intelligent and smooth.

They let each other say their bit rather than butt in like Legard.

Neither shouts like crazed idiots.

Very few buzzwords and phrases like "snorting" or "up the hill".

Keep it up I say!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2853997)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DC gets right up my nose. Only watched qualifying so far but that is enough.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2854005)   #3
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After hearing them for this race I was very impressed. Their first race so I imagine it's only going to get better. To be fair, now he's gone I do appreciate a few things that Legard did bring, I feel that Martin/DC lacked a bit of urgency in the big moments. And Martin was sometimes a little slow in the lead role to catch up with what was happening on screen.

But at no point were they annoying, and they always had relevant information to discuss. Flawless? No. But a good start and a massive improvement overall. Very optimistic going forward.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2854006)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I thought that they were a really good commentary team.

Big improvement not having Legard or someone of his ilk with the constant mistakes etc.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2854025)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A massive improvement. Just brilliant. Martin said he was "delighted to welcome David Coulthard to the commentary box" and too right he was. They are able to discuss things together, they have chemistry and Martin still plays some of the role he did previously.

I didn't analyse the commentary too much either. They were just there doing an excellent job, subtle but utterly effective.

Well done to the BBC on that one.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2854037)   #6
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mind you, if you know German RTL and Sky comentary the BBCs of Brundle and Coulthard is really refreshing

Big thumbs up !
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2854043)   #7
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
After hearing them for this race I was very impressed. Their first race so I imagine it's only going to get better. To be fair, now he's gone I do appreciate a few things that Legard did bring, I feel that Martin/DC lacked a bit of urgency in the big moments. And Martin was sometimes a little slow in the lead role to catch up with what was happening on screen.

But at no point were they annoying, and they always had relevant information to discuss. Flawless? No. But a good start and a massive improvement overall. Very optimistic going forward.
Definitely agree - DC and Brundle were far better keeping the commentary moving and had a balanced amount of time to say what they wanted to say - great stuff.

Agreed certainly on the "big moments" - there is definitely a technique to it and I think Martin was jumping around trying to watch too many cars at once at the start. However, a huge improvement - the commentary added to what was on screen which is its whole point.

Good job I say!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2854045)   #8
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, there was something about it that felt very natural.

Although, I would say that Brundle's introduction ahead of qualifying felt a bit stilted. Today was a bit better but not quite there yet. It will come sooner or later.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2854105)   #9
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were pretty decent. Brundle's still his usual self being negative about the slower teams, and DC is still Mr Complainer ("look look look Mum, Buemi went over the line too!!"), but overall they worked well together, didn't talk over each other and were knowledgeable and informed.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2854154)   #10
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They where a good team overall. Brundle's transition into the lead position was easy. I felt that towards the end Coulthard was tired and was badly straining for something to say. I also expected a little more bounce.

Still even rookie commentator Coulthard was far better than veteran Leggard. No chancing his arm. Two experts but no jargon. Both kept it simple. A good, solid commentary pairing.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2854193)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very good with no needless shouting. Commentary not for dullards - it won't be popular
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2854202)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was perfectly alright, didnt have a problem with anything.

I gave Legard of time and he never improved for me. Nor issue with the guy, he was simply a radio broadcast journalist like Mark Pugatch or the like doing commentary.

Not his fault, just not his job.

For that matter, being an ex driver does not qualify you for the job, but I do think they were okay. Was not an incident packed race so until we have that I will reserve an opinion.

DC is fine, a bit more relaxed and you are getting a bit more banter than Legard and Brunders ever had.

Work in progress and I think they are a big improvement.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2854221)   #13
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought very highly of Brundle. To me, he has been the "voice" of F1 for many years. DC no doubt has the knowledge, but I find his voice a little bit "soft" when it comes to commentary (especially when trying to stay awake at 3am mid-race).

I would much rather see him behind the wheel of the new Redbull car!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2854222)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was totally impressed and such an improvement. As has been said they worked well together without interruption, and I believe there was a great chemistry there, with each adding their own knowledge without overriding the others opinion.

If it continues as it started I will have no complaints whatsoever. It was a pleasure to listen too, much less painful than for the last near enough decade where we had to suffer JA and Leggard in the lead role.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2854225)   #15
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excelent coverage

Brundle and DC are a perfect match, I am finally happy with the coverage that the BBC are producing after two years of complaint about legard (whose voice is the most anoying in the world). Brundle spoke so well, with the opening link on Saturday being seeming a bit like he was reading it off a script by someone who had just been given voice coaching, soon fell into his role with ease and within a few minutes the pair gelled, with excelent analysis (like always), but also an attempt to ensure he told the newcommers the basics. And on sunday especially liked his intro and welcoming to "the english speaking world". Ending the commentary after the programme nicely, like james alan used to, unlike legard who would be talking about a million miles an hour and suddenly stop after some obsqure point.

Overall really good. And would be a shame to see anything change.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2854227)   #16
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good start, I agree that Brundle perhaps is sometimes lacking a bit of urgency in the big moments. But then that's been a fault of other commentators that they had too much urgency and it became annoying, so I much prefer Brundles delivery.

As many have said the pairing came across very natural, so much so that halfway through the race I stopped noticing the change and just got on with watching the race.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2854237)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I thought they were good - very professional and easy on the ear. (Admittedly, I have always been a Martin Brundle fan anyway).
I thought that MB was a little overawed / unobservant at the beginning of the race, I'd spotted that Schumacher had a puncture and obviously that was why he was pitting, but then I was just watching it on my own, and not having to tell miilions of other people what was going on!
I thought they were relaxed and informative. They also displayed great chemistry between them, and Brundle's 'Ladder?' comment to Coulthard's pronounciation of 'Lada' was classic MB.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2854244)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
They did alright as far as I can tell. No problem at all. But I still can't see why people put so much focus on the commentators.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2854247)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I liked them.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2854248)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcar View Post
Overall really good. And would be a shame to see anything change.
It won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
They did alright as far as I can tell. No problem at all. But I still can't see why people put so much focus on the commentators.
They only make a fuss when the commentary is bad. These two were good in a quiet, unobtrusive way and clearly gelled together well, which is what you want.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2854249)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well they are important. Good commentators complement the coverage, bad ones ruin it.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2854256)   #22
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
They only make a fuss when the commentary is bad. These two were good in a quiet, unobtrusive way and clearly gelled together well, which is what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Well they are important. Good commentators complement the coverage, bad ones ruin it.
This is the key point - fairly quickly I stopped noticing it was "commentary" as such, it was more like having a couple of exceptionally knowledgeable mates round to watch the race with. Excellent job.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2854265)   #23
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boring commentry effort, 3/10, bad ones indeed ruin it.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2854268)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Biggest compliment I can give is that no-one in the house watching were shouting at the TV when errors were made.

Yes there was a few, but they were perhaps understandable ones that resulted from a very quick glimpses of a car, and not enough time to ID the helmet.

Martin didn't pick up on the fact that Schumacher had not just a puncture but most of the tyre had gone, but DC was right there.

I agree that there were a few moments that could have been described in a more dramatically or as others have said urgency, but greatly relieved we have got rid of the fake hysteria over the slightest thing as well.

Oh a quick word on the BBC red-Button forum as well.
Martin hadn't always come across as the most comfortable on camera in the forum - I liked the new way of doing it today where he's clearly had a chance to look at a few things and line up some analysis. The only thing missing and perhaps too much to hope for on the fly aways would have been graphics highlighting the car he was talking about, especially for the Helicopter views of the start etc.

Roll on Round 2, as the BBC and Brundle and DC in the box have set a very solid baseline for the rest of the season.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2854271)   #25
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Bad commentators have the potential to ruin motorsport coverage, agreed. But I've never heard a bad F1 commentator. If you're a bad commentator, you don't get to do F1.