Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2875842)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do teams have to talk in English on the radio?

I've been wondering for a while why Ferrari talk with Alonso in English. You'd think they'd want to hide what they can by conversing in Italian.

Or is it because there is so much English terminology for settings etc that it's easier to just stick with English? It seems a missed opportunity to keep some info from the others.

P.S. I love it when Italians say 'mate'.
Old 7 May 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2875853)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Language of the world my friend.
Old 7 May 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2875863)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Which ironically is called the lingua franca.
Old 7 May 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2875883)   #4
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The empire is dead but the sound lingers on.
Old 7 May 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2875900)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
The empire is dead but the sound lingers on.
I'm a languages teacher and understand the usefulness of native English speakers speaking foreign languages. Sadly successive governments have totally missed this trick and have not sought to promote foreign languages in schools, to the disadvantage of the UK economy.

In defence of British holidaymakers who try a bit of Spanish or whatever on holiday, in tourist areas the standard of English of foreigners is so high that they get answered in English even if they attempt the language.
Old 7 May 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2875988)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I don't think it is a rule, it's just that English is the working language of all the teams. De-briefs, design meetings, press conferences, drivers' associaton meetings....etc are all conducted in English too. With F1 being a multinational sport, it makes sense for everyone to speak the same language.
Old 7 May 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2876049)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Felipe Baby! Isn't that the same in any language?

To avoid confusion, I would have thought that English would be the language that most would want to use when it comes to getting some kind of message across to all parts of a team in a critical situation.

For example, Lewis Hamilton probably wouldn't respond too well to hearing: "Ihr Auto steht in Flammen!"
Old 7 May 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2876113)   #8
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
For example, Lewis Hamilton probably wouldn't respond too well to hearing: "Ihr Auto steht in Flammen!"
Schneller, Lewis! Das ist ein Befehl!
Old 7 May 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2876118)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

To avoid confusion, I would have thought that English would be the language that most would want to use when it comes to getting some kind of message across to all parts of a team in a critical situation.

At least Max Mosley speaks quite a bit of German, I think.
Old 7 May 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2876123)   #10
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought it was in the rules, but I've just had a quick search through the sporting and technical regs and couldn't see it there
Old 7 May 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2876154)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Schneller, Lewis! Das ist ein Befehl!
Indeed.

To which he responds: "Was?"
Old 7 May 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2876165)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No.
Old 7 May 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2876174)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
No.
True.

Felipe Bambino!
Old 7 May 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2876400)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Fernando è più veloce di voi. Potete confermarli avete capito quel messaggio?
Old 7 May 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2876450)   #15
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
At least Max Mosley speaks quite a bit of German, I think.
I speak a decent bit of German too
Old 7 May 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2876455)   #16
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
I speak a decent bit of German too

I can see this thread being whipped away quick...
Old 8 May 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2876526)   #17
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
I always thought it was in the rules, but I've just had a quick search through the sporting and technical regs and couldn't see it there
It's a rule and it's in the sporting regs except that rule is written in French so you may have missed it.
Old 8 May 2011, 01:27 (Ref:2876529)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
It's a rule and it's in the sporting regs except that rule is written in French so you may have missed it.
The Sporting Regulations are also available in English.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...08-03-2011.pdf

Can't find anything in there about the English language having to be used for communication between driver and team over the radio.

Not in the Sporting Code, either.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regul...tingCodeA.aspx
Old 8 May 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2876611)   #19
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Fernando è più veloce di voi. Potete confermarli avete capito quel messaggio?
I was waiting for that one to come up.... not too sure what Rob Smedley's Italian is like, and if he has the same Teeside (?) accent in Italian as well.
Old 8 May 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2876617)   #20
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still wonder if the team orders had been given to Massa in his native tongue whether they could have been a lot more subtle, much more like the McLaren orders to Button and Hamilton.
Old 8 May 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2876625)   #21
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most continental people speak better English than the English do anyway.
Old 8 May 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2876628)   #22
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I still wonder if the team orders had been given to Massa in his native tongue whether they could have been a lot more subtle, much more like the McLaren orders to Button and Hamilton.
In Portugese?

I think perhaps the root of the problem is that in what they said to Felipe, Ferrari thought they WERE being subtle.

During TGF's Ferrari reign they were even more direct (ie Austria 2002)

Last edited by E.B; 8 May 2011 at 09:37.
Old 8 May 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2876638)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout View Post
Wai aye man, yer nat rung theer like! *Coming to a holiday resort near you*
Old 8 May 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2876750)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I don't think it is a rule, ...
I think the last team radio to Alonso confirms that.

As does the rule book.
Old 8 May 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2876752)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

They must have read my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout View Post
I also know Dutch people who are more fluent in English than me.