Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 12 Sep 2000, 19:14 (Ref:36789)   #1
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is taken from the Autosport website:

Championship finale to go ahead despite fuel shortage

The deciding rounds of the British Touring Car Championship will go ahead this weekend at Silverstone, despite impending chaos from a national fuel shortage.

There were fears that Saturday’s season-ending double-header under the lights could be affected by the petrol crisis which has beset the country since truckers began blockading fuel refineries at the weekend. However, series organiser TOCA and Silverstone Circuits Ltd have guaranteed that the event will go ahead.

“On behalf of the BRDC, Silverstone and TOCA, the event is still going ahead,” said a spokeswoman. “There could be problems with some competitors finding enough fuel to actually get to the track, but there’s enough fuel for the full race programme.”

Representatives for Silverstone have given assurances that the filling station within the circuit is well stocked and there is enough petrol for all the teams, ambulances and safety vehicles.

Spectators, however, are faced with a bigger potential problem as they attempt to travel to the race. As more and more filling stations are closing around the country, the Silverstone crowds could be seriously diminished.

As things stand, those who are unable to travel cannot expect to receive any kind of refund on their tickets.

“We can’t give a definitive answer on that (ticket refunds),” said a Silverstone spokesman. “It’s likely to be out of our control, although we are optimistic that by the weekend it is not going to be the problem that people are envisaging.”

The fuel shortage could also present problems for the Goodwood Revival meeting which takes place this weekend. However, the organisers are already taking precautionary measures: extra public transport services have been organised, with free Goodwood bus services and two 50-seater coaches running shuttle services from Chichester station
Old 12 Sep 2000, 19:19 (Ref:36790)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the way they say that anyone unable to get there will not be entitled to a refund - nice PR guys! See you've learned nothing from the GP fiasco
Old 15 Sep 2000, 10:55 (Ref:37292)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say that was a good reason to buy your ticket at the gate. If you get there.

I am beginning to think it was the hand of God that cancelled my trip for this fall. But it's a shame anyway.
Old 15 Sep 2000, 13:25 (Ref:37324)   #4
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by fatbloke
I love the way they say that anyone unable to get there will not be entitled to a refund - nice PR guys! See you've learned nothing from the GP fiasco
The complete farce that passed (just) for this year's British GP was their fault. They should be doing refunds.

If people can't get there, that's not Silverstone's fault, and they shouldn't do refunds.

Old 15 Sep 2000, 13:57 (Ref:37345)   #5
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you work for the BRDC by any chance ? Geez! I wasn't commenting on what they were required to do by law, i'm just saying that it's not good PR. Have you heard of keeping the customer sweet, even if you've messed them around once this year already ?
Old 15 Sep 2000, 23:54 (Ref:37437)   #6
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Matty!

:beerface: