Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8 Dec 2016, 09:48 (Ref:3694748)   #136
Rudernst
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Germany
Hamburg
Posts: 546
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I agree with Simon's view.

But being a bit "glass half full", perhaps this just demonstrates the difference between PA and HSCC. It's a bit like MRL and PA, they both run similar categories but one is FIA sanctioned and the other is a UK centric organisation. So in the case of F2 can the two organisers co-exist? Seems to me that if you can afford to run a F2 then the chance of a few overseas events might be attractive. However if the calendars clash then perhaps PA doesn't have that same view.

As to the Vote to leave the EU? Not sure how that impacts most of us since we can still travel throughout Europe, just the same as we did before Lisbon. Delta and Gordon probably have more experience than most with this. But in the context of historic motor sport in general I doubt there will be much difference.

Peter, I think there is a misunderstanding
the HSCC F2 series IS a Euro Series, there is only one UK round per year
usually Brands Hatch, but Oulton this year

PA can bring nothing to the table that is not there already

RuE
Rudernst is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 09:52 (Ref:3694751)   #137
Brian A
Racer
 
Brian A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
England
Sunny West Sussex
Posts: 399
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

john, If TVR Granturas are allowed in fiscar, what about Tornados? Didn't hit the road until late 60/61, but I'm sure it was on the drawing board in the late 50's

Joe - if I can respond to this one, the TVR Grantura was actually in production from 1958 with either the 1098cc Climax FWA or the 1172cc Ford side valve engines. It is only the early series cars that are eligible for FISCAR, not the hot rod (x-flow) MGB engined cars.

There were probably several interesting cars that were on the drawing board in the late 50s but if they didn't make it into production until the following decade, accordingly they become cars of the sixties.
Brian A is offline  
__________________
Brian Arculus
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 09:56 (Ref:3694754)   #138
Rudernst
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Germany
Hamburg
Posts: 546
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I agree with Simon's view.

But being a bit "glass half full", perhaps this just demonstrates the difference between PA and HSCC. It's a bit like MRL and PA, they both run similar categories but one is FIA sanctioned and the other is a UK centric organisation. So in the case of F2 can the two organisers co-exist? Seems to me that if you can afford to run a F2 then the chance of a few overseas events might be attractive. However if the calendars clash then perhaps PA doesn't have that same view.

As to the Vote to leave the EU? Not sure how that impacts most of us since we can still travel throughout Europe, just the same as we did before Lisbon. Delta and Gordon probably have more experience than most with this. But in the context of historic motor sport in general I doubt there will be much difference.

As to EU matter
again, I dont agree
what You can do or not NOW is not the question
the question will be how it will work IN FUTURE
as this will mean bringing car from UK into and out of the EU there will be the full customs and tax impact of that
AT BEST, you will need carnets again for the cars and tools to get in and out with no taxes paid and no bonds or deposits paid on entry on the assumption that you will take the car back

this will apply vice versa for Europeans going into the UK

also it would be one thing to get the car for instance FROM UK INTO EUROPE,
it is quite another TO GET IT BACK IN
dont assume that UK customs will treat You friendly because you are UK resident
potentially you are evading taxes so they will check
just ask a car/bike dealer about NOVA and the potential fines involved
and this is NOW where there is no tax to paid importing a classic car from Europe but You can still get fined over NOVA if you dont register vehicle movement quickly

And if You dont believe me....
remember Bernie had use his influence to get F1 spares out of customs this year in Asia ?

UK will have similar customs status, so expect similar falllout

on the other hand, there are FJ tour events all over the world with cars beeing shipped, so it is possible to do that, just into Europe with more red tape than before

RuE

Last edited by Rudernst; 8 Dec 2016 at 10:18.
Rudernst is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3694762)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL
 
Peter Mallett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
England
Here and there
Posts: 31,217
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Peter, I think there is a misunderstanding
the HSCC F2 series IS a Euro Series, there is only one UK round per year
usually Brands Hatch, but Oulton this year

PA can bring nothing to the table that is not there already

RuE
Ah ok then I agree entirely with Simon's view. Thanks for correcting me.
Peter Mallett is offline  
__________________
Nobody told me we had a communication problem!
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3694765)   #140
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL
 
Peter Mallett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
England
Here and there
Posts: 31,217
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
As to EU matter
again, I dont agree
what You can do or not NOW is not the question
the question will be how it will work IN FUTURE
as this will mean bringing car from UK into and out of the EU there will be the full customs and tax impact of that
AT BEST, you will need carnets again for the cars and tools to get in and out with no taxes paid and no bonds or deposits paid on entry on the assumption that you will take the car back

this will apply vice versa for Europeans going into the UK
Yes my point was it happened before so nothing new just as you say red tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
also it would be one thing to get the car for instance FROM UK INTO EUROPE,
it is quite another TO GET IT BACK IN
dont assume that UK customs will treat You friendly because you are UK resident
potentially you are evading taxes so they will check
just ask a car/bike dealer about NOVA and the potential fines involved
and this is NOW where there is no tax to paid importing a classic car from Europe but You can still get fined over NOVA if you dont register vehicle movement quickly

And if You dont believe me....
remember Bernie had use his influence to get F1 spares out of customs this year in Asia ?

UK will have similar customs status, so expect similar falllout

on the other hand, there are FJ tour events all over the world with cars beeing shipped, so it is possible to do that, just into Europe with more red tape than before

RuE
We may have got complacent with the ability to roam around Europe freely. But I do recall the old days of shipping stuff around the globe. I also have direct experience of Asia and the Middle East. All pretty much the norm.

I suspect what will happen is that preppers will get more business because they will have the facilities and people to deal with the paperwork.

But as it isn't going to happen for a couple of years, my position is that things won't change dramatically before or after the UK leaves the EU. The more relevant question is "will the EU exist in 2 years time?"
Peter Mallett is offline  
__________________
Nobody told me we had a communication problem!
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3694772)   #141
Geraint Owen
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 50
Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tax/import/carnet issue is so easy to sort. Just get road registration papers for your race car. Problem goes away in an instant. That way you can trailer through Switzerland too. The guards on the Swiss border couldnt have been more helpful this summer once they saw a V5C
Geraint Owen is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3694783)   #142
Rudernst
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Germany
Hamburg
Posts: 546
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
The tax/import/carnet issue is so easy to sort. Just get road registration papers for your race car. Problem goes away in an instant. That way you can trailer through Switzerland too. The guards on the Swiss border couldnt have been more helpful this summer once they saw a V5C
this is very good advice
works for touring cars

for single seaters you might still need a carnet as you wont get a V5C for a March F2 car.....

but sure, life will go on, and there will be ways

RuE
Rudernst is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 11:55 (Ref:3694789)   #143
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL
 
Peter Mallett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
England
Here and there
Posts: 31,217
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not all Touring Cars had chassis numbers. The TWR cars had a TWR stamp, they weren't, as far as I know, registered. Likewise the CC Racing Capris that had CC numbers. So that's where an HTP may be useful. The HTP bar code is as good as any chassis number. Caveat being that someone less scrupulous would probably find a way around it.
Peter Mallett is offline  
__________________
Nobody told me we had a communication problem!
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3694808)   #144
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 10,329
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not all Touring Cars had chassis numbers. The TWR cars had a TWR stamp, they weren't, as far as I know, registered. Likewise the CC Racing Capris that had CC numbers. So that's where an HTP may be useful. The HTP bar code is as good as any chassis number. Caveat being that someone less scrupulous would probably find a way around it.
I've been told by others (that have been asked to show documents by customs) that thrusting an HTP in the official's hands usually keeps then quiet. I've only had one awkward moment when had no documents, but luckily managed to blag my way through the request- helped by one official being a car nut!

Best however to have a quality copy to show, just in case.....

Anyway, we've a way to go before anything changes this side of the channel.....
Mike Bell is offline  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 15:11 (Ref:3694835)   #145
Geraint Owen
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 50
Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
this is very good advice
works for touring cars

for single seaters you might still need a carnet as you wont get a V5C for a March F2 car.....

but sure, life will go on, and there will be ways

RuE
It works for single seaters too....if you can get a V5....which may or may not be too difficult. Is there any reason why, for example, you cant fit wings and lights to a 50s Cooper and road use it? If not, then you can register it, and just never fit the wings and lights to actually use it on the road

Just a thought
Geraint Owen is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 16:20 (Ref:3694846)   #146
SamBinfield
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
United Kingdom
Hinckley, UK
Posts: 32
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a lighter note, Jaguar have just sent out their provisional dates:

JAGUAR CLASSIC CHALLENGE 2017

28th - 30th April: Donington Historic Festival
1st - 2nd July: Brands Hatch Super Prix (GP Circuit)
28th - 30th July: Silverstone Classic
26th - 28th August: Oulton Park Gold Cup
15th - 17th September: Spa 6 Hours
SamBinfield is offline  
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3694854)   #147
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 10,329
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for posting the dates, Sam! Hard to believe the series has only been going 2 seasons, and good to hear it is continuing for a third.

Let's hope more XKs, Mk1s and Mk2s join the grids in 2017!
Mike Bell is offline  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 8 Dec 2016, 23:58 (Ref:3694920)   #148
Lancsbreaker
Veteran
 
Lancsbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
England
Padiham, Lancashire
Posts: 2,429
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember rallying abroad in the pre-UK-in-EU days - sure there was a bit of paperwork with carnets, but in practice no real hassle.......in fact I remember jumping out of the tow-barge to present all the paperwork to Customs and being greeted with "All done then lads? - on you go then", without a thing being checked. We were really cheesed off as we could have brought back a lot more duty-free.....
Lancsbreaker is offline  
__________________
Richard Murtha: Back Racing with CSCC, and another first, I've finally done a rolling start!
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3695162)   #149
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 10,329
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
The FJHRA have announced all the dates for their various championships-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017 FJHRA dates by Championship.pdf (212.2 KB, 20 views)
Mike Bell is offline  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 12 Dec 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3695467)   #150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL
 
Peter Mallett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
England
Here and there
Posts: 31,217
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Still waiting for Motor Racing Legends.
Peter Mallett is offline  
__________________
Nobody told me we had a communication problem!
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Historic Race meeting dates / club calendars Mike Bell Historic Racing Today 156 7 Oct 2016 10:41
Best Historic race meetings? CLbrakesUK Historic Racing Today 22 7 Dec 2012 10:32
A rant on to closed to club race meetings Derwent Motorsp Historic Racing Today 83 5 Mar 2012 17:21
Historic racing calendars? johnh875 Historic Racing Today 26 21 Dec 2006 08:03
Aintree Circuit Club Race Meetings diz Motorsport History 18 11 Mar 2004 17:50


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 16:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.