Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Sep 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2949470)   #51
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news
Old 1 Sep 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2949479)   #52
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That makes me happy! Glad I'll be seeing Swindon's finest hooning around in NGTC form next year!
Old 1 Sep 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2949496)   #53
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I expect nothing less than a Honda winner in 2012 then. They've got the engine sorted and they're excellent at sorting out a good handling chassis. Be interesting to see what this new road car looks like, I see there's a sneak preview of the rear corner on that press release. Looks evolutionary, rather than revolutionary.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2949502)   #54
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Isn't the Civic hatch (4.3m) to short for NGTC (4.4m)?
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2949506)   #55
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

Isn't the Civic hatch (4.3m) to short for NGTC (4.4m)?
It's the new, as yet unseen Civic...size TBA. It's make to fit anyway...just add a nice Vauxhall Vectra sized lip:

http://assets.speedhunters.com/u/f/e...c_cars_vxr.jpg
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2949508)   #56
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
According Wikipedia the new Civic is the same size as the current.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2949509)   #57
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Word I've heard (evo mag I think) is that the new Civic will be a fair bit bigger than the current one - and given that Dynamics are already developing the car, I think it's safe to assume that it's size won't be a problem
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2949510)   #58
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
It's the new, as yet unseen Civic...size TBA. It's make to fit anyway...just add a nice Vauxhall Vectra sized lip:

http://assets.speedhunters.com/u/f/e...c_cars_vxr.jpg
Or some bigger bumpers like the 206 GT
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2949512)   #59
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brilliant news!
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2949516)   #60
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent news! So we'll probably see more than 10 NGTCs on the grid in 2012. Appearantly, TOCA has landed a bit with their new regs. Hopefully, other series in Europe follow NGTC too (I'm looking at you ADAC Procar!)
Old 1 Sep 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2949517)   #61
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, well it can't look any worse than the current Civic, so bring it on I say.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2949603)   #62
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we think that there will be any more manufacture entrances for 2012? It's good for the BTCC if there are say 2 more factory teams but not too many because then it loses some of it's charisma. There are a few companies that could be involved, autosport have mentioned Skoda and Toyota.

It's good to see that more teams in the BTCC are moving to the NGTC regs and also that it is getting exposure elsewhere.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2949630)   #63
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota added their backing to Dynojet Racing. Remember, Team Dynamics ran the Civic for a few seasons before Honda decided to come on board and add some officialness to it all.

They let TD do the legwork of building and developing the car with no risk to the Honda brand, then when its starting to become successful, jump in and promote promote promote! If TD hadn't chose the Integra, I bet Honda would have been involved sooner.

Either way, the BTCC doesn't need manufacturers to have great racing.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2949639)   #64
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota added their backing to Dynojet Racing. Remember, Team Dynamics ran the Civic for a few seasons before Honda decided to come on board and add some officialness to it all.

They let TD do the legwork of building and developing the car with no risk to the Honda brand, then when its starting to become successful, jump in and promote promote promote! If TD hadn't chose the Integra, I bet Honda would have been involved sooner.

Either way, the BTCC doesn't need manufacturers to have great racing.
Ah yes I was going to mention Toyota as well as Dynojet had a great race 1 at Snetterton so hopefully their will be some extra support from the company next year.

You're right, not many works teams doesen't make the racing less enjoyable, I meant it would be good to get more exposure for BTCC.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 23:52 (Ref:2949691)   #65
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder if VW still have desires to enter the BTCC as a factory team? Not sure if anyone remembers this far back but in 1999 VW built a supertouring based Bora which was intended to race in the BTCC. However with all the uncertainty over the direction of rules etc, I believe the idea was canned. However they must have been semi-serious as I remember seeing testing photos of the car in Autosport. I may still have those somewhere, if I can find them ill post a pic.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2949745)   #66
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I wonder if VW still have desires to enter the BTCC as a factory team? Not sure if anyone remembers this far back but in 1999 VW built a supertouring based Bora which was intended to race in the BTCC. However with all the uncertainty over the direction of rules etc, I believe the idea was canned. However they must have been semi-serious as I remember seeing testing photos of the car in Autosport. I may still have those somewhere, if I can find them ill post a pic.
Yeah I always had VW at the back of my mind too. Wow they must of been annoyed when they had to stop the operation.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2949805)   #67
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

They built a Vento before that:

http://www.closeratio.com/asp/defaul...etails&id=1833
Old 2 Sep 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2949829)   #68
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
That was for South Africa wasn't it? Funnily enough I was watching a race from 1995 in the SATCC and a Vento popped up at the back.

Not sure VW have any desire to compete at a level such as that. The last time the UK arm competed as a works team in a national championship was the British Rally Championship in 2000 with the Golf MK4. Although is their F3 activity in the UK funded by VW UK or VW Motorsport in Germany?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2949847)   #69
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW have the VW Cup in the UK and VW Scirrocco Cup supporting DTM, so not sure they would enter the BTCC if they don't enter Germany's ProCar series (closest to BTCC)
Old 2 Sep 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2949851)   #70
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
One wonders what will happen with the S2000 Honda Civics that TD currently run? Will they be used in the WTCC? Or will they be sold off to an indie team for use in the BTCC?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2949853)   #71
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
They could end up anywhere - last years cars are running in the Asia Touring Car Series
Old 2 Sep 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2949854)   #72
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One wonders what will happen with the S2000 Honda Civics that TD currently run? Will they be used in the WTCC? Or will they be sold off to an indie team for use in the BTCC?
They'll be sold to whoever wants to run them - they could even go to the ATCS or HTCC.

What is almost certain though is that they will be run independently. Honda won't promote a model that has been replaced.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2949856)   #73
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
So TD will be building a full NGTC car for the BTCC and a new S2000 car for the WTCC based off the 2012 Civic? Sounds like a lot of work.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2949857)   #74
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Well yes and no. Surely they can use their knowledge of the S2000 version to stick that into the new (apparantly bigger) shell, saving them half the work of designing new suspension etc.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2949863)   #75
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
Depends how similar the suspension is to the old car - S2000 have to retain the same basic geometry as the road car if memory serves.

That said, they're big and well-funded enough to build 3 cars, and as Craner says they have plenty of experience building S2000 so I wouldn't have thought it will be a problem.

Presumably Thommo will be coming on board for the WTCC project, based on Neal's hint that he will be in NGTC machinery.