Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 May 2007, 03:25 (Ref:1915066)   #1
pont420r
Rookie

pont420r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP Live Extortion

Anyone going to see the GP live event at Donington Park? entry fee is a little steep!! £50 Sunday makes it a very expensive day, mainly made up of demonstations, being an enthusiast of historic cars I was mainly interested in going to watch the TGP and Euroboss race.
Looks like I'll perhaps only make it for Qualifying Friday

Is it worth paying £50 for Sunday? or are we just paying for named faces including Martin Brundel, Stirling Moss, and the Red Bull teams fee?

Few years ago I went to watch the Jordan Teams event at Doninton andt that was an exellent day now where near the ticket price of £50
Old 17 May 2007, 07:33 (Ref:1915130)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
that does seem like a lot to me, you can actually see rare classic cars race for less.
Old 17 May 2007, 07:36 (Ref:1915133)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
that does seem like a lot to me, you can actually see rare classic cars race for less.
go to Brands at teh end of the month and you will see at least one Goodwood car wont you?!
Old 17 May 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1915196)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like a really good event to me but sadly I won't be there. Love EuroBoss though
Old 17 May 2007, 09:24 (Ref:1915213)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I saw Euroboss on Brands Indy a few years ago, seemed crazy running such fast cars round such a small circuit, especially given the speed differential between those who could pedal and those who couldn't! there was plenty to watch however

BRands Masters meeting looks like its going to be one of the best spectator events this year
Old 17 May 2007, 11:39 (Ref:1915282)   #6
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"GP Live" Donington 18-20 May

A bit late to ask but .. anyone going?

Last edited by John Turner; 17 May 2007 at 17:23.
Old 17 May 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1915303)   #7
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan and I are marshalling on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 17 May 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1915313)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I was tempted to go myself until I saw the price. At £50 for four races and a handful of demos I think I'll pass.
Old 17 May 2007, 14:00 (Ref:1915359)   #9
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree the price is very steep......
Euroboss had a meeting at Brands two seasons ago with one race sat and one sunday. The Saturday you could count spectators on one hand and sunday wasn't much better! Entry was £10 and you had 15 F1/F3000 cars running round in front of no one.............what a waste.
Old 17 May 2007, 15:05 (Ref:1915384)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports
Euroboss had a meeting at Brands two seasons ago with one race sat and one sunday. The Saturday you could count spectators on one hand and sunday wasn't much better! Entry was £10 and you had 15 F1/F3000 cars running round in front of no one.............what a waste.
That was a great meeting - you could wander around the circuit and catch the action unobstructed from anywhere EuroBOSS is great - those cars sound superb.
Old 17 May 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1915431)   #11
Racesport
Rookie

Italy
Milano, Itlay
Racesport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard now on the phone a friend of mine who is there into the paddock with two F1 cars (Tecno PA123 and Ferrari 312 BS "spazzaneve").

He said me that until this morning the organization was not sure to open the gates and they were speaking about the possibility to cancel the event!!!

Now they opened and it seems that the event will take place ... but few cars arrived up to now ...!!!
Old 17 May 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1915456)   #12
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
too expensive and too many other events to chose from this year

I have a feeling that it won't be much of a success.
Old 17 May 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1915471)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have merged the threads on this event, and I am going to this, so I will report back on both the quality of the races/grids and whether it represents value for money.
Old 17 May 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1915531)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
good move John

as a racer I can't see any justification in a £50 entrance for spectators given the limited displays/shows on offer . . .I'd expect a ride in a car for that ! before anyone says it I know Goodwoods not a cheap entrance, but you do get a hell of a lot for your beans
Old 17 May 2007, 20:41 (Ref:1915619)   #15
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the UK, we're spoiled for choice.

For 15 quid, you can go and see decent historic racing of some sort most weekends during the season. 50 quid per adult is pretty steep in my opinion.

If you live near an airport in the UK, and you want something different, then I'd suggest putting that 50 quid towards a flight to Pau - one of the true remaining historic street circuits. OK - the whole weekend will cost quite a bit more than a day in the Midlands (and it's too late for a cheap flight this year), but at Christmas - when you are looking back on the past year - I have a feeling that Pau Historique will bring a much warmer glow than GP Live would.

And then of course there's Angoulême........
Old 17 May 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1915673)   #16
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a sneak preview earlier this evening - there were some stunning cars in the paddock. However, if I wasn't marshalling this event I wouldn't pay that amount of money to see them.

I'm not sure who set the entry charges for spectators but for it to continue I think a re-think is necessary. At the present rates "ordinary" spectators simply can't afford it.
Old 17 May 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1915695)   #17
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I was going.

Never been to Donnington before and have always wanted to.
Looked a pretty neat event in general.
EuroBOSS are making their only UK appearence this year here.
Some good names their
until...

I saw a 1 day entry fee and NO WAY!!!!!!!! 50 quid!!!!!!!!!!

Forget it.

Compare that to the EuroBOSS race at Brands last year. £10, brilliant racing all day (OK not high profile but quite entertaining none the less).

This event was supposed to be for the fans or something but not all of us are able to fork out that much for 1 day.
Old 17 May 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1915718)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Go to Brands next Thursday and you can see me for nothing. you might get a fast lap ride, well as fast as the Anglebox will go two up !
Old 18 May 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1915821)   #19
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that the retroford trackday Gordon?

I,ll be there in my roadgoing anglia having a bit of fun!!
Old 18 May 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1915833)   #20
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah I've just found this thread! I agree with the comments here, people just aren't prepared to fork out 50 quid for something like this (myself included!) I'm shocked at those prices. You seen grandstand entry!?!?

I swapped a days work for tomorrow so I can pop down today, I can stretch to £15! It was a bit short notice though, can't do that every time!

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 18 May 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1915847)   #21
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're having a laugh aren't they? 50 quid!
You know, everyone harks back to the halcyon days of the Coys festival at Silverstone (not when it went to Rockingham), and contrasts it with Goodwood's Revival. Both of these events were/are succesful because you saw a hell of a lot of amazing cars for your money, and Coys wasn't that expensive to get into either. With Goodwood you get the cars and the show, so people will pay a little more.
As much as I love Goodwood, I still believe there's room for another top notch historic event in the UK, and it seems that pepole have been trying to replace the Coys meeting for the past few years, but they'll never do it if they expect spectators to pay £50 for 4 races. Makes the F1 GP at Silverstone look like value for money!
Old 18 May 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1915973)   #22
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer 35
They're having a laugh aren't they? 50 quid!
You know, everyone harks back to the halcyon days of the Coys festival at Silverstone (not when it went to Rockingham), and contrasts it with Goodwood's Revival. Both of these events were/are succesful because you saw a hell of a lot of amazing cars for your money, and Coys wasn't that expensive to get into either. With Goodwood you get the cars and the show, so people will pay a little more.
As much as I love Goodwood, I still believe there's room for another top notch historic event in the UK, and it seems that pepole have been trying to replace the Coys meeting for the past few years, but they'll never do it if they expect spectators to pay £50 for 4 races. Makes the F1 GP at Silverstone look like value for money!

yes I agree especially when you have Masters and HSCC at brands coming up for 16.00 pounds in advance. Goodwood is successful because of the nature of the event, having famous cars and drivers. Also helps that is the only circuit event all year.
I personally would love someone to open Crystal Palace once a year and have a 70's revival, flared jeans with formula 2's and f3 screamers on the bill. What an event that would be although I think have built on the old track. What a shame!!
Old 18 May 2007, 12:48 (Ref:1916015)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
£50 sounds high for me in comparison to a) other historic racing you can see in this country and b) other big events. However, would love to see the races themselves and be interesting to hear next week what people made of the demonstrations too - I've never been keen on demo runs.

Quote:
I personally would love someone to open Crystal Palace once a year and have a 70's revival, flared jeans with formula 2's and f3 screamers on the bill. What an event that would be although I think have built on the old track. What a shame!!
Don't think racing on a whole circuit will come back. But if it does, no flared jeans please!
Old 18 May 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1916041)   #24
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The ONE thing that has me still intrigued...
Mario Andretti in a Lotus 79??? Really?
I'd ALMOST spend the money to see that...

Almost.
Old 18 May 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1916051)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Forget it. no 79.
Mario in a Ferrari is OK, but it's the JPS IV I wanted to see!
Ho hum.