Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 May 2001, 01:57 (Ref:95778)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another Pom on the way...

Apparently another Pom, in the form of Mark Blundell is keen on having a drive in V8s...

Hey, I like this guy a lot more than I like Neal

What do you guys think? Give the guy a drive, or go away?
Old 24 May 2001, 04:05 (Ref:95788)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon it'd be great to see guys who have driven in the premier driving series' in the world having drives in the V8's.
Old 24 May 2001, 07:00 (Ref:95831)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Blundell? Really - that would be great. Crash, where did you here this? Let's hope it's true.

On the subject of Euro drivers in Australia, it's a shame that there is a BTCC and DTM race on the weekend of Bathurst.

John Cleland and Matt Neal are about the only drivers likely to race as far as I know.
Old 24 May 2001, 12:06 (Ref:95960)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I assume it was from his little piece in Motorsport News today, as I haven't read it yet.

It would be good to have Mark out here, I've always been a fan of his.
Old 24 May 2001, 12:33 (Ref:95977)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, this is a big surprise.
A) i can't believe he's even heard of V8 supercars and
B) surely a British ex-Formula 1 and Indy Car driver would think that Australian Touring cars are more than a little beneath him?
Old 24 May 2001, 12:46 (Ref:95985)   #6
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know much about the guy, but yeah an ex F1 driver sounds like a great idea (Eddie Irvine mentioned at Bathurst one year, 98 maybe, that he would love to drive there, i think he may eventually come over, I think he could settle in Aussie for a while).

Bigger names would be very helpful to the series profile overseas, its just a pity that some in the BTCC wont be able to make Bathurst.
Old 25 May 2001, 17:28 (Ref:96538)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Why do you say that David ? Of course he will have heard of V8's! And why would he feel it beneath him ?

Wherever he drives next, i'll be pleased to see Mark back behing the wheel full time... good luck, sir!
Old 25 May 2001, 18:09 (Ref:96570)   #8
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say good luck to him as well. It would be good to see such an accomplished driver participating.

And why wouldn't he want to? As far as I know the Aussie TC series is generally acknowledged as competitive and challenging, so why not give it a go. The list of others who have is significant: most (if not all) of the Brabhams, AJones, Gardner, Walkinshaw, etc. etc. (mainly Bathurst, I know, but you get the idea).
Old 26 May 2001, 04:01 (Ref:96725)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't imagine why Blundell would want to come over, wouldn't know how he's heard of them. Over there its worse than with Super Tourer's over here, at lest we know what an Audi A4, BMW 320i, Volvo S40, Holden Vectra, Ford Mondeo and so on is, they wouldn't have known what a Commodore and Falcon is. And why would he want to, Touring Cars in Australia are even a step down from the DTM, ETCC and BTCC, he's probably only comeing because of bathurst anyway
Old 26 May 2001, 06:39 (Ref:96756)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well why would an Aussie want to race in Le Mans? Heck, I don't think there is a touring car race anywhere in the world that would come close to it. Even then, there aren't many tracks like it left anywhere in the world.

Remember a few years ago Martin Brundle expressed a desire to race at Bathurst...

"And why would he feel it beneath him ?"
- Maybe that is our isolation complex kicking in But seriously, in the past these F1-old foges generally go into sports cars- faster, better money. But good for him for giving it consideration
Old 26 May 2001, 07:22 (Ref:96782)   #11
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course Brundle has heard of V8 Supercars !

They support the Melbourne GP every year !
Old 26 May 2001, 10:44 (Ref:96810)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hmm, but i wouldn't think that the F1 drivers would be watching the support classes....better thing to do behind the scenes, like giving the grid girls tours of their motor home
Old 27 May 2001, 09:39 (Ref:97163)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Crash Test, if the general fan in the UK has heard of V8's then i'm sure a professional racing driver will have too
Old 27 May 2001, 12:14 (Ref:97219)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hmm, I'm sure Australian drivers have heard of the new BTC rules, and don't want to race in them
Old 27 May 2001, 12:15 (Ref:97220)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm genuinely surprised that the poms have heard of Aussie V8s, how good is the coverage over there?

The question about it being beneath him is based on the fact that in Europe, Touring Cars have always been considered to be much more lowly than racing and sports cars. Also, as Craig frequently demonstrates, Poms tend to think of Australia as some old fashioned, lowly backwater and the locals as hicks and hayseeds.

Why would an Aussie want to race at Le Mans? Well it's one of the world's great races and easily the world's best sportscar race, has been for decades.
Old 27 May 2001, 12:23 (Ref:97226)   #16
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
From what i've heard, Crash, it's all down to the sponsors! I'm sure it has little to do with the fact that not many Aussie drivers wish to leave the comfort of their home shores...

Sadly, David, there is *no* TV coverage at all... and Autosport and Motorsport News only carry occasional snippets. However, the general motorsport fan has still heard of the V8's. Indeed, when Rick Wood brough over one of the Commodores to a club meeting a year or so ago it was greeted with much enthusiasm, despite the fact it was thrashed by an ex-privateer BTCC Honda!

Quote:
Also, as Craig frequently demonstrates, Poms tend to think of Australia as some old fashioned, lowly backwater and the locals as hicks and hayseeds.
On the whole i'd say that most Brits expect Aussies to be Crocodile Dundee or Alf Stewart... However, all jokes about convicts aside (except when it comes to Danielsun... ) I have to say I can't wait to get myself over there...
Old 27 May 2001, 12:33 (Ref:97231)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Craig, you know you're welcome.

Who is Alf Stewart?

A lot of Aussies like to imagine they're Crocodile Dundee, but very few actually are. Sadly, Homer Simpson, Tim Taylor and Ed Bundy are closer to the mark in most cases. Oh, and i forgot Barney Gumble. He'd fit right in too.
Old 27 May 2001, 12:38 (Ref:97237)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Unlikely to be this year David, but watch out for the biggest invasion of Brits since they stopped exporting convicts coming soon... probably around Bathurst/Indy time next year
Old 2 Jun 2001, 14:47 (Ref:100192)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
my misses says im a cross between Al bundy (Married with children) and Homer simpson

2 of my biggest idols

anyway back to the topic at hand.

mark blundell and martin brundle would be a huge bonus to have in v8's ..they are both professional and very experienced and would really enjoy racing real race cars for a change..the only problem i can see is we would definately have to keep barry sheene away from the microphone