Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Dec 2000, 01:24 (Ref:54250)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm presuming that you're reading the Historic forum with some knowledge of the current Historic Racing scene. I wonder if this has ever struck you...

I saw a video today following Peter Hardman taking the Aston Martin DBR1 round Goodwood. He was absolutely at eleven-tenths right the way around the track. His basic driving style is that wonderful drifting type, which puts you in mind of someone leaning just that bit too far out of a high window. You are convinced that catastrophe will come of it, but it never quite does.

Now, I'm sure I saw Peter Hardman racing a Formula Ford at the start of his career, but I am only convinced of this by the fact he's in some of the programmes from races I attended years ago. There was nothing especially stunning about his handling of the cars which formed rungs of the ladder to motor sport achievement.

But when it comes to wringing a lap time out of a big 40-year old sports prototype with more power than the chassis knows what to do with - well, Peter's your man.

Is there anyone else you think really stands out as a driving talent, but whose natural ability is masked by the fact they are racing in Historics, rather than recognised Formulae?

Anyone got an opinion on Martin Stretton, for example, or Ludovic Lindsay, Neil Corner, Barrie Williams?

Perhaps there are also some good Gerry Marshall stories to come out here? For sure his talent has been admired for decades - but only by those who have a care for tin-tops.
Old 26 Dec 2000, 20:20 (Ref:54322)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have been a fan of Pete Hardman for quite a few years, seeing him hurl a priceless Le Mans winning Aston around is quite stunning.

Maybe he is a driver in the wrong time zone, after all that is the way they were built to be driven, looking out of the side windows. Old sportscar photo's of Graham Hill, Stirling Moss, Maston Gregory, Phil Hill and so on to see the same style.

Another driver of note is Tiff Needell, although some fame racing he is now more famous from Top Gear. His control skill in many types of car is quite something.

Another few could include Geoff Lees, JL Schlasser and Oscar Larrauri. All had unfortunate F1 races, but were very rapid in other forms of racing.
Simon
Old 27 Dec 2000, 10:02 (Ref:54397)   #3
aiwa
Rookie

aiwa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Hardman tells a very amusing story of borrowing the money to go Motor racing. He goes to the bank and asks for a loan to finance the purchase of a Royale. The bank manager who thinks he knows about cars talks up the properties of the supposed to be purchased Vauxhall Carlton Royale. The money was loaned on this basis and the Formula Ford was purchased. The following week the formula ford was comprehensively damaged in a spectacular roll during a televised event. Peter Hardman desperately hoping that his Bank manager had not seen the footage and connect the purchase of the Royale with the destruction of the Royale.

Back to the subject - Barrie Williams and Martin Stretton have both impressed me - Stretton in the Tyrell P34 oft quicker than cars much younger, Williams in whatever, MGBGT or the Indy Car he drove at Coys five or six years ago.

New names to add - Bo Warmenius - drives a Lotus Cortina in FIA Touring Car Events at undescribable speeds and, for exemplary car control Richard Dodkins from Chevron B8 to Mclaren M8 all driven to the limit.
Old 16 Jan 2001, 16:04 (Ref:58828)   #4
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aiwa - I have heard the same story - but in my case the story was told by Don Hardman...
Old 16 Jan 2001, 16:28 (Ref:58832)   #5
aiwa
Rookie

aiwa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Whoops - you are right!!! As I wrote it seemed wrong but the alcohol must have changed my perceptions.