Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Apr 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2431407)   #326
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
Interestingly I have a mate in the states who is well on with the re-build of some mortal remains which when complete will see another griffith on the road. he is now tracing the cars full title along with the full owner history back in the USA.

What will be fun is when his car is registered back to the road and details sent to the griffith registry. I wonder what the owner of the original 65 racing car in europe will then do??

Please don't ask me for any details since I don't have the chassis number concerned.

N.
Ha I like the sound of this Can't wait to hear who's fia car it is (and what a crock they will come up with when their car is found to be a clone with robbed chassis numbers).

I am one of the people that tink originality for this type of thing matters. The odd tweak here and there does not matter, as the racers are very far removed from the road car (but the bodies, chassis, trim, etc (all the little bits did actually come from the original car unless like mine the chassis was beyond repair (much like alot of modern TVR's that get driven in al weathers an live outside!!)).

N is very honest on where is car came from. And so am I (but I am lucky to have a very important numbered car too - just shear luck we found it when we were looking!).

Few more chassis numbers then:-

The below is one owned by a chap call Randy (it is probably finished now as this was sent to me a year or so back) – it is 200-5-154. Randy has done the paint job and Graphics in the same colours / style and fonts as Jack Griffiths early 60’s Cobra 289 Driven by Mark Donohoue A Homage – v.nice. (it is not being built as a racer – just to look cool – which is cool by me).

This on is a very well used racer (not fia!) that is now having a well earned make over. It is 200_5_168

Old 2 Apr 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2431445)   #327
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
You might like this http://books.google.com/books?id=vhz...bT0-0#PPA76,M1 found it ages back, cool story.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2438547)   #328
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I'm hoping that this might finish up in the Chassis Archive, maybe via the History forum but since a number of these cars have been running in the recent couple of seasons, I thought I'd start here. I know that some here take exception to the fact that some of these have acquired HTPs when there is no known International racing history, but as you know this 'pocket rocket' from the 1960s is a great favourite of mine. I'm trying to identify as many as possible and maybe even get some idea of chassis numbers and history, although many will be short of the latter!

Griffith 200 - 4.7 V8 Ford - 195 bhp - rounded Grantura Mk 3 bodies with Cortina rear light cluster - early cars anyway, a few later, may have been bodied as below

Griffith 400 - 4.7 V8 Ford - 271 bhp - Kamm tailed 1800S bodies,

Built mainly 1964 - 1965

Clearly, any that are now racing are unlikely to have less power than the 271 bhp version, some surely rather more, so at the moment I'm lumping them together. The cars that I remember having seen in recent seasons are owned or driven by:-

Jason and Louise Kennedy (acquired I think by them from Canada?)
Roger Connel (he has owned his for many years)
Jamie Boot
Jon Shipman
Julian Dodd
Steve Watton (although noted for sale at the end of the 2007 season)
Simon Garrard
Mark Garritt

I may think of some more, but can anyone add to this list, and add any further info about the individual cars. Both Louise and Mark are 10-Tenthers, so hopefully they will respond at least!
Hello John,

Bit late coming to this.

I need to double check, but think my car is chassis number 521, and as the link has shown, was built by Chris originally for Ronnie Farmer who went on to win the 1990 European Historic GT Championship (thanks Chris, got a copy of Classic Car Weekly, 19th Sept 1990 with DRT643C on the front cover).

The car then went to Roger Ward and Cambridge Motorsport re-built it, he also went on and achieved great things with it.

I bought the car from Tim, who had it repainted in blue in readiness to sell it. The car went to Greenwoods last year (Phoenix of Cambridge Motorsport) and they tell me it’s just as it was when Joe owned the car, Terrence will know better

I’ve only run the car a couple of times, no big issues, handling still needs some tuning, the rear diff needs changing, it’s running the Spa diff so too highly geared, and we had a mis-fire last year at Snet which turned out to be a loose plug lead or two.

The Mike Abbas road going car used to belong to Graeme Dodd, as did Simon Garrad’s, and Graeme, now keen to get back into the Griff action has just purchased another race spec one, he tells me it’s completely correct and has the original homologation papers. I’m seeing him tomorrow, so will ask him for chassis number. Chris can tell you Simon’s, as he’s re-building the car currently. Simon is also a recent subscriber to Ten Tenths being a late converter to modern technology! I’ll let him know about the link.

I’ll probably run the Griff a couple of times this year, Snet with the HSCC and one or two with the Masters. The engine has roller-rockers, though it’s the correct lump, as such, I enter it in the invitation class. I’ll be spending most of my time with the Alfa this year running in the HRSR, no comments please...

Cheers
Old 11 Apr 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2438582)   #329
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mark,for Roger, read Joe.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 14:28 (Ref:2438585)   #330
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Hi Mark.

if it is the ex-Joe Ward car (now white with three dark blue stripes I think) the

The 5 hundred chassis numer is not right (if it is the Ex-Joe Ward one it should 400-5-034). The 200 cars number stop before 200 and the 400's before 100.

Cheers Jelly
Old 11 Apr 2009, 14:52 (Ref:2438594)   #331
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark, many thanks for input, and it's much better late than never.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2438847)   #332
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As to its latest colour,I have no idea,the last I saw,it was in blue metallic [ex yellow] as to Joes first Griffith,no idea where that went/is after Fritz Kramer had it in Holland??
Old 12 Apr 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2439191)   #333
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Hi Mark.

if it is the ex-Joe Ward car (now white with three dark blue stripes I think) the

The 5 hundred chassis numer is not right (if it is the Ex-Joe Ward one it should 400-5-034). The 200 cars number stop before 200 and the 400's before 100.

Cheers Jelly
Hi Jelly,

Jo had two cars, the yellow one, I've now got which is metalic blue with white stripes. Tim Fish who I bought the car off also had a Camero painted the same colours. The FIA papers show them being granted on the 17th of April 1990 showing previous owners of Mr E Stephens of Oxford, David Gerald of Worcester, Ronnie Farmer who acquired the car on the 3rd of Sept 89 and passing to Joe on the 20th of Oct 95, chassis number 200-GB-5-021.
My understanding, looking at the registry is all RHD 400 cars start with 200, whilst the LHD New York cars start with 400.

I can't see the chassis you refer to 400-5-034 on the register, there's 400-6-034which shows a LHD and belonging to John Muller and I can see 200-GB-5-034 which is/was owned by Robin DePry?

I must get out more...

Cheers

Mark
Old 12 Apr 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2439288)   #334
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Mark,you should now have two PMs.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2439399)   #335
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark garritt View Post
Hi Jelly,

Jo had two cars, the yellow one, I've now got which is metalic blue with white stripes. Tim Fish who I bought the car off also had a Camero painted the same colours. The FIA papers show them being granted on the 17th of April 1990 showing previous owners of Mr E Stephens of Oxford, David Gerald of Worcester, Ronnie Farmer who acquired the car on the 3rd of Sept 89 and passing to Joe on the 20th of Oct 95, chassis number 200-GB-5-021.
My understanding, looking at the registry is all RHD 400 cars start with 200, whilst the LHD New York cars start with 400.

I can't see the chassis you refer to 400-5-034 on the register, there's 400-6-034which shows a LHD and belonging to John Muller and I can see 200-GB-5-034 which is/was owned by Robin DePry?

I must get out more...

Cheers

Mark
I'll check my html of the old Joe rauh register stuff again. But the ex Joe Ward one that was White with red stripes was the number I posted (mind checking the register maybe it was 400-6-034 (Mike Mooney will know). The yellow cars is one of the 14 or so GB late one one (I see that there).

Is yours just roller rocker deviating from FIA? What is the deal with the HSCC invitational class? How different can they be. Presume yours will be the fia bonnet and wide arches too that have just been outlawed too! Worth changing or gonna just keep as is and say stuff it to the fia thing (BIG cost).

Jelly
Old 12 Apr 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2439417)   #336
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Mark,you should now have two PMs.
Hi Terry, just making sure you got my responses, cheers Mark
Old 12 Apr 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2439420)   #337
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
I'll check my html of the old Joe rauh register stuff again. But the ex Joe Ward one that was White with red stripes was the number I posted (mind checking the register maybe it was 400-6-034 (Mike Mooney will know). The yellow cars is one of the 14 or so GB late one one (I see that there).

Is yours just roller rocker deviating from FIA? What is the deal with the HSCC invitational class? How different can they be. Presume yours will be the fia bonnet and wide arches too that have just been outlawed too! Worth changing or gonna just keep as is and say stuff it to the fia thing (BIG cost).

Jelly
It's pretty much as it should be and a few changes required to make the car compliant, though I'm told, it runs today as it did in 1990, that said, and as clearly stated recently, what was right then, is not right now.

We need to change the rockers, uprights and front brakes, we'll wait and see the final outcome for width and the bonnet and take a view then

Mark
Old 12 Apr 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2439478)   #338
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark garritt View Post
Hi Terry, just making sure you got my responses, cheers Mark

Loud and clear Mark.The PMs do not come through to my mail box for some reason.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 13:52 (Ref:2450692)   #339
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Going off (very slightly), does anyone have any info on the Hough Racing Tuscan (few years after the Griif for those not in the know - but much the same bar minor body mods and stretched wheelbase)?

Heard it caught fire and burnt out or maybe a crash?

Anyone got any history on the car, what it competed in for instance, how fast it was, etc?

I love this type of thing - Modsports Monsters.

I am even thinking I might have a pop at the AMOC Super GT's when I "Eventually get it built"!!
Old 27 Apr 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2450703)   #340
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian Hough was killed (in the Tuscan) at Thruxton in, I think, 1973.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2450706)   #341
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brown View Post
Brian Hough was killed (in the Tuscan) at Thruxton in, I think, 1973.
Jesus! Did not know that.

Something fail.

Hmm best change the subject
Old 27 Apr 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2450732)   #342
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
http://www.racing70s.pwp.blueyonder....ts/tvrs_02.htm
Old 27 Apr 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2450737)   #343
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Cheers - hmm - on that note best get back to Griffs!

Pity they did not have better brakes than the stuff they had!

Many had rear drums? (Think this might be a mod they do inthe US?).
Old 27 Apr 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2450772)   #344
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No probs, Jon, V8 Tuscans are on the agenda for another occasion, although I hope that we have a few more forthcoming about their chassis numbers than on the Griffs. However, notwithstanding the very obvious reluctance (and yes, I am learning why) to discuss/disclose this info in some quarters, I'm not about to drop it.
Old 5 May 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2455731)   #345
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey

OK here is a teezer Question.

This pic is from and ad a year or so back for 200-5-029

This is looking atthe diff end of the car looking forward

Can you spot the Mistake / Issue!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5 May 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2455779)   #346
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Well------- The diff is an absolute pain to lift out from inside the car!
Whole new meaning for HTP,,,,,now reads How To take the P**s.
Old 5 May 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2455803)   #347
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Well------- The diff is an absolute pain to lift out from inside the car!
Whole new meaning for HTP,,,,,now reads How To take the P**s.
Is that your answer?
Old 5 May 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2455820)   #348
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
What,apart from the Diff mounts/removable rear end of the Chassis?
Old 5 May 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2455827)   #349
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
What,apart from the Diff mounts/removable rear end of the Chassis?
Er ya - The whole chassis has been cut in half and the back (just in front of the front end of the rear wishbone) held to the front with some plates / tabs with just 3 bolts holding the chassis together!!

You think that is OK - just to gain better access to the diff! Does not bear thinking about if those bolts failed!

I would not want to drive it with big tyres and tuned lump!
Old 5 May 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2455837)   #350
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It largely depends on how its been secured at the Top of the chassis though John,if that has been done correctly,it should be plenty strong enough.Just hope the car hasn't got HTPs.[I doubt it will have them much longer]

Just taken a second look at those bolts,would have thought 10 mill to have been more appropriate rather than 8s