Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Aug 2001, 03:30 (Ref:127929)   #1
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Brock ?

The old Brocky is starting a team rumour has surfaced again in this weeks Auto Action. I remember this rumour was floating around late 99 that he was starting up a team with Mobile money for Lowndes. Anyway, he's basically said he is doing it to get son James into a V8 Supercar.

Questions arise:
Is James Brock good enough for a V8 Supercar ?
How will the TOCA Touring Cars category go without one of it's main longest supporters ?
Isn't James Brocky's step son ? If so how long do you think the media will carry on using the "racing must be in the genes/blood" line until they realize ?

Cheers Buck.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 03:41 (Ref:127930)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How old is James? Peter has been with Bev since about 1977 or so, so her son by her previous marriage would have to be at least 24.

If he is a step son, there will certainly be egg on faces for a long time to come!
Old 9 Aug 2001, 04:07 (Ref:127933)   #3
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I honestly thought I read in Auto Action back when that farce of a race with the Bathurst Tourers around Mt Panorama was on that he was Brock's step son.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 04:36 (Ref:127938)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Does this mean he is younger than that?

I don't know, you see, but I do know when Peter and Bev got together there was a son from the previous marriage, and it was at about that time.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 07:13 (Ref:127962)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe he is a step son. Bev was a mad keen Peter Brock fan, and named her kid 'Brock'. So when she wed Pete, young Brock recieved a name change, and has been known as James ever since.

He raced in the enduros last year, and I'd imagine he has done his share of testing in the past. How he'd go in the top league, I don't know, time would tell, and it depends on what sort of car he is given. If Ron Harrop is a part of the team, I'm sure the car will be screwed together well. I'm sure Pete can do some whispering in ears for the almighty sponsorship dollar...
Old 9 Aug 2001, 07:32 (Ref:127964)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Whispering in ears for dollars?

I think it would be a different scenario to that... more likely some money has come looking for him and wants him to start the team... But time alone will tell if it really is to happen, and we'll probably never know how it all really came about.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 11:15 (Ref:127991)   #7
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If James takes after his father he would be a concreter not a race driver
BTW has anybody noticed the shiela doing the Big Kev adds?
Old 9 Aug 2001, 11:43 (Ref:128006)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

And if he took after his mother he'd race motorbikes... leathers... anyway, we have to watch and see how all this goes before we have any idea...
Old 9 Aug 2001, 15:52 (Ref:128097)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well I had no idea that james was peters stepson ...doesnt really matter does it ...as long as they consider each other family then they can call each other father/son if they want.

as for the team ..I hope it comes off...and given time i think james will do well..maybe he should stay in the future tourers for another year or two or perhaps try the konica series first before the big league..i wish him well...and we must add what about craig Dontas..he has done reasonablly well in GTP for a young guy ..but is he ready for V8's..that Im not so sure of..but whatever happens the team will one to watch ...how long after they start getting good results will it be before the Lowndes/brock partnership is rekindled if at all ?????

GO BROCKIES !!!!!!!!!
Old 10 Aug 2001, 00:19 (Ref:128305)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Well, do we have a clear decision on James? How old is he? I think he is, but I wouldn't say so till I knew his age... though I also thought that Peter only had a daughter of his own, but I have never discussed these close family matters with him, at least not since 1966.

Lowndesy is highly unlikely to be a part of a Brock team without going back to Holden, and I reckon that Ford would resist that with lots of money. Peter, I think, can't change away from Holden again. His ties there are too strong and he doesn't actually race any more, so is not attractive enough for Ford to buy him out.
Old 10 Aug 2001, 00:40 (Ref:128315)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I think Lowndes is firmly and happily tied down to Ford now. I'm sure the Brock team would be a Holden affair, Holden really does need another team, although if there is going to be a third TWR prepared one....
Old 10 Aug 2001, 02:06 (Ref:128337)   #12
Ray Bell
Veteran

Craig's dad is Frank Lowndes, who was in with Ford alongside Harry Firth, Graham Hoinville and the like... there's a long family history under the blue oval there...
Old 10 Aug 2001, 02:36 (Ref:128351)   #13
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James is in his early 20's, and is Brock's step-son...and (please correct me if I am wrong)..I dont think Peter and Bev ever got married. Bev changed the childrens names, and her own, so everything was uniform, so to speak.

I think Peter and Bev have daughters.

Now - about the Brock team - I really hope it works out, and I doubt they would consider doing this, unless they felt everything and everybody involved was ready - so lets see eh?

Go Brocks!!!
Old 10 Aug 2001, 07:37 (Ref:128411)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Re- Frank Lowndes- he spends his days screwing together a HSV GTP car... and after being a cheif scruitineer for so long, I'm he'd know how to get the most speed from it
Old 10 Aug 2001, 11:55 (Ref:128479)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't really take the story as Peter Brock running the team, more as him helping out to get it up and running. The article even said it might not even be in the form of a team, possibly just sponsering James' ride in another team.
Old 11 Aug 2001, 05:51 (Ref:128770)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I would agree, Auto Action will write anything on the front cover of there magazine , just to keep a V8 on the cover. It will probably turn out that Jmaes Brock has asid V8's are good, I would like to drive one. And AA have geez that means P Brock is gunna start a team.
I can remember the line, "If you read in AA, it's not gunna happen"
Old 11 Aug 2001, 06:28 (Ref:128780)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
DRT- have you read the story yet?

Racer69- You're right, the bottom line is that he wants to help James out, and at this stage he is unsure whether it will be in the capacity of making a team for him, or just helping him find the funding to race with an existing set up.
Old 11 Aug 2001, 12:40 (Ref:128875)   #18
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
I believe he is a step son. Bev was a mad keen Peter Brock fan, and named her kid 'Brock'. So when she wed Pete, young Brock recieved a name change, and has been known as James ever since.

Well that answers question 12 for me, thanks
Old 12 Aug 2001, 00:51 (Ref:129073)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
*******!