Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3035464)   #1
Mistron
Rookie

Mistron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevron B8 Bodywork

I've just picked up this set of B8 bodywork locally (Central Scotland) Does anyone recognise it? the spoiler, the flaired arches, filler opening in the front clamshell, the 'smile' paint work round the intakes (oh, and the significant impact damege to the front!) may help to identify it.

I bought it off a guy who was a friend of a former racer, on whos property the panels were abandoned about 20 - 30 years ago by one of his friends, but sadly I know not who!

Not sure what i'll do with it, but I had to save it from its life outside under the brambles! it's seen a fair amount of snow over the years I suspect, which has not done it a whole lot of good!

Perhaps someone can identify the logo on the faded sticker? looks like an atom & nucleous, or something of that ilk?

front 1 by alastairbrownuk, on Flickr

rear 4 by alastairbrownuk, on Flickr

sticker detail by alastairbrownuk, on Flickr

sanding through the paint on the front wing top shows that it was originally white, may have had a thin coat of green then been a 'forth bridge' red, possibly grey(or a primer coat) then the current white. rubbing down the spliter shows it was possibly initially the red colour, then grey, then white

Any ideas?

Al
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3035475)   #2
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only B8 I saw with a spoiler similar to that was Alan Eisner's, I think it was silver when he had it, with Apollo Racewear stickers down the sides and on the nose. From memory the spoiler was on the car when he did some Thundersports races. It didn't improve the looks.....or make the car any quicker as far as I can recall!
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3035497)   #3
Mistron
Rookie

no, I should imagine it wouldn't! it certainly makes it heavier - most of it seems to be filler! I rather hoped it would fall off under its own weight, but sadly, no.

'Apollo' sounds kind of spaceage, would this tie in with the 'Nasa' style logo on the decal?

What sort of era of thundersports? '80s?

Al
Old 5 Mar 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3035506)   #4
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, mid eighties, Apollo Racewear was Alan's business - he made overalls, anoraks etc. You can find his ads in period Autosports.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3036072)   #5
Mistron
Rookie

Does anyone have any Autosports of this era who could check whether the logo bears any resemblance to the remains visible on the sticker?

Thanks,
Al