Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Apr 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3238040)   #1
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spotted...

After months of hiding behind the armco, I finally managed to get this photo of a herd (what is the collective noun? Race/Gravel/Flag??) of marshals in their natural habitat. Completely unaware of my presence, they continued to sweep the track until the rev of engines made them scatter back to their roosting areas
Well Done to all the marshals at the VSCC Spring Start.

Old 23 Apr 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3238286)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Percy, take it from one who knows, marshals are a shy and retiring breed which explains their colouring of black and orange. This allows them to blend into any background, and remain largely un-noticed by the casual watcher, only the most observant observer would be able to spot them in their natural habitat.
I have spent years photographing the species, and must advise you that is a perilous occupation! Why only last weekend I was chased away from a prime viewing location by a huge example of the type that suddenly descended on my 'hide' forcing me to vacate it for a safer environment.
Mind you if you feed them and treat them kindly they can make ideal household pets .................... well so I am led to believe.

A tip; A good time to catch them is when they are eating or sleeping, it makes for some very amusing photographs.

Bauble.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3238362)   #3
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
A tip; A good time to catch them is when they are eating or sleeping.

Thats most of the day for us!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 23 Apr 2013, 12:26 (Ref:3238378)   #4
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They surely can't be proper marshals, they're the wrong colour. Are they in mourning for what's been done to Silverstone or has the orange just got really grubby ?

Steve
Old 23 Apr 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3238396)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are the Adult of the species, it's the juniors that are much lighter in colour
Old 23 Apr 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3238400)   #6
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
They are the Adult of the species, it's the juniors that are much lighter in colour
Not quite. The orange is full mating plumage. The females are lured by a special ritual called the Sweep Dance. Pork pies are exchanged during the courtship phase.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3238422)   #7
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
Not quite. The orange is full mating plumage. The females are lured by a special ritual called the Sweep Dance. Pork pies are exchanged during the courtship phase.

Old 23 Apr 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3238432)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
That's just put hundreds of new marshals (of all persuasions) off using a brush ever again!
Old 23 Apr 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3238458)   #9
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A tip; A good time to catch them is when they are eating or sleeping, it makes for some very amusing photographs.

Bauble.
Sleeping - yes [most of the time]

Eating - No - the majority have some disgusting habits

But don't care.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3238586)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Sleeping - yes [most of the time]

Eating - No - the majority have some disgusting habits
What you do in the privacy of your own home is none of our business ............ but if you are willing to tell all .................. I for one would be most interested. Should I bring my camera?http://tentenths.com/forum/images/icons/icon36.gif
Old 25 Apr 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3239267)   #11
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The collective noun for Marshals is a "Crash"

And the Black plumed marshal is, as the Clerk points out the adult of the species, as in butterflies, they ponce doing nowt about whilst the work is done by the juveniles
Old 25 Apr 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3239295)   #12
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
icorper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought it was a 'sweep' of Marshals.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3239301)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by icorper View Post
I always thought it was a 'sweep' of Marshals.
This opens up a good excuse for a competition, what noun should be used to describe a group of marshals?

1) A Proban of...
2) A Corner of ....
3) A Bank of .....
4) An Overall of ....
5) A Flag of ....
6) An accident of ......
7) A Pork Pie of ....

Come on chaps get weaving before some bossy female claims the prize.

A glossy A4 picture from any of my galleries is offered to the winner as decided by Percy who started the whole thing.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3239412)   #14
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This opens up a good excuse for a competition, what noun should be used to describe a group of marshals?

1) A Proban of...
2) A Corner of ....
3) A Bank of .....
4) An Overall of ....
5) A Flag of ....
6) An accident of ......
7) A Pork Pie of ....

Come on chaps get weaving before some bossy female claims the prize.

A glossy A4 picture from any of my galleries is offered to the winner as decided by Percy who started the whole thing.
Well, if you dont like crash, what about "Whine" or possibly an Observation, or at the GP a snooze?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3239475)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Several years ago we had a long discussion about this on a dull day. We settled on:

A sweep of marshals.
A clique of photographers.
A surfeit of clerks.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 05:51 (Ref:3239527)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Several years ago we had a long discussion about this on a dull day. We settled on:

A sweep of marshals.
A clique of photographers.
A surfeit of clerks.
OK! No one wants a glossy A4 snap from my collection!!

Stand down Percy, your judgement skills will not be needed!

Competition abandonded!

SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WOOLEY?

SHAME ON YOU SIR.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3239641)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
OK! No one wants a glossy A4 snap from my collection!!

Stand down Percy, your judgement skills will not be needed!

Competition abandonded!

SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WOOLEY?

SHAME ON YOU SIR.
LOL, I'm only repeating a conversation from one day, I'm not the definitive lexicographer for the subject. Better ideas warmly welcomed.

(PS, clique of photographers was unashamedly nicked from the great Brian Johnstone.)
Old 26 Apr 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3239650)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
LOL, I'm only repeating a conversation from one day, I'm not the definitive lexicographer for the subject. Better ideas warmly welcomed.

(PS, clique of photographers was unashamedly nicked from the great Brian Johnstone.)
Well, alright apology accepted Wooley. Snap still up for grabs, Percy stand to!

As you are all such a wonderful bunch of guy ...people, how about;

1) A Splendid of ....
2) A Stalwart of ...
3) A Wonderful of ...
4) A Pride of .... (Sorry Leo)

I make no claims to winning this competition that would not be fair.

Bob.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 17:06 (Ref:3239702)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Or to break it down further, how about:

A flutter of flaggies.
A convergence of incidents.
A bawl of assembly.
An oratory of PCs.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 17:29 (Ref:3239709)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Or to break it down further, how about:

A flutter of flaggies.
A convergence of incidents.
A bawl of assembly.
An oratory of PCs.
You know Wooley in my personal view I would settle for a Smile Of Marshals as that's what they do when I approach