Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 Jul 2001, 18:38 (Ref:115765)   #1
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff Purvis sidelined!

This was the first weekend that Jeff Purvis had to sit out a race since JGR sidelined their second Busch team. I am still a little sad (sorry for Jeff) and a little bit mystified about this. The reason, we are told, is that they couldn't find a sponsor. What state is the Busch series in if Joe Gibbs can't find a sponsor to run a car with a seasoned driver who was fifth in the point standings?!?!

I hope something turns up real soon so that they can get the team back on the road - and Jeff can get a drive again.

I've heard that there has been an economic downturn in the Busch series - is this just another casualty? I sure hope this trend doesn't continue, as there has been some great racing in Busch in recent years and more losses from the series would surely be a detriment. Maybe it will turn around when the economy picks up again. One can only hope. Of course NASCAR aren't helping when they add more races to the schedule and change engine rules which lead to more expensive motors.
Old 11 Jul 2001, 23:33 (Ref:115903)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Emfa, I agree that it is odd that Joe Gibbs cannot find a sponsor for his car but at the same time, look elsewhere. Eddie Cheever finished third in the IRL points standings last year and is a former winner of the Indy 500. He is currently without a sponsor. Sometimes for whatever reason, sponsorships are hard to come by at times. I am sure that Gibbs/Purvis will find one eventually. Whatever happened to Jackaroo?
Old 12 Jul 2001, 16:56 (Ref:116186)   #3
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it's just a sign of the times. Speaking of others, I think Jimmy Vasser is still without full sponsorship. Thing is, he and Cheever still have their ride. I'm sure there are many, many more teams feeling the pinch as well (especially in the lower profile series) so it's not an isolated thing. However when it reaches the top levels, things aren't looking so good.