Old 27 Aug 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3126019)   #1
Inside BTCC
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Inside BTCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC marshal help wanted!

Hi guys,

We're looking for some assistance from the boys and girls in orange and this is probably the best place for us to ask.

Before the end of the current season, we're keen to run a feature in the BTCC eMagazine Inside BTCC about marshals and the work they do on a race weekend. We've been around more than long enough to appreciate the role you all do and know that if you didn't give up your time, there wouldn't be any racing to go to. Now, we want to try and give the public an insight into things from your side of the fence.

What we're looking for is someone who will be marshaling at one of the remaining three BTCC events who would be prepared to keep a weekend diary that could then be used a feature in the eMag to help promote marshaling.

Is this something that anyone in here would be interested in helping us with?

Last edited by Inside BTCC; 27 Aug 2012 at 20:59. Reason: Spelling - damn iPad keyboard!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 07:31 (Ref:3126191)   #2
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just posted a weekend diary of my antics at knockhill on btcc.net if any use
Old 28 Aug 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3126194)   #3
icorper
Racer

England
Farnborough, Hants
icorper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like an interesting idea, but the issue is that normally people do one job for the weekend, not going to make interesting reading on it's own.

Also not all posts are guaranteed an incident, stood by the track and watch cars go round, again not interesting reading.

I don't think any diary article is going to give the reading audience any feel of the team work, comradery, humour (the you had to be there moments).

Good luck with the article, but please don't make a half-assed job of it.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3126256)   #4
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icorper View Post
I don't think any diary article is going to give the reading audience any feel of the team work, comradery, humour (the you had to be there moments).
Depends how you write the piece!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3126258)   #5
Inside BTCC
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
If there are a group of you who would be happy to contribute to give more of a rounded view of the weekend then even better - we just want to provide the marshals with the opportunity to give an insight into what happens on a race weekend from their point of view.

By the same score, we're happy to run the article past those who contribute to make sure all are happy with it before we run it. We'd want it to be something that you guys are happy with.

@aland - thanks for the offer but we're looking at the upcoming rounds simply so we can sort things like images out with our photographers. If you could message a link the post over we'd be interested in having a read though!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3126261)   #6
kilomike
Rookie

England
Warwick
kilomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm at Rockingham for the next round and would be happy to recall some of the 'moments' from the weekend as a marshal.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3126270)   #7
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I once wrote a diary and account of my day at a Marshals F1 Factory visit which was used as part of a larger article in our region's Outpost newsletter.

A few people jotting down their day at one meeting would make a great article and also give the lay-person a great insight into what makes it such an enjoyable hobby and important part of Motorsport in general.

The best of luck with it and I shall look forward to reading it too.

Elliot.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3126289)   #8
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You need to remember to cover all of the disciplines too, not just trackside, but assembley, startline and paddock too.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3126312)   #9
Inside BTCC
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Pardon our ignorance, but are there are a regular bunch of you who marshal at BTCC events all season or is it very much dependent on circuit location etc?
Old 28 Aug 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3126326)   #10
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're not being ignorant at all. We like questions. It's nice to pass on anything about Marshalling.

There are some Marshals who follow the BTCC around the country as well as doing meetings at their own respective local circuits. Also, (some of) the local Marshals see the Touring Cars as being a highlight on the Marshalling calendar so turn out in numbers at their local track.

Elliot.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3126327)   #11
The Wench
Rookie

Scotland
The Wench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside BTCC View Post
Pardon our ignorance, but are there are a regular bunch of you who marshal at BTCC events all season or is it very much dependent on circuit location etc?
There are marshals who follow the touring cars and although i would like to be one of them, its not possible to travel all the circuits usually due to lack of funds, i did manage Snetterton and i am also doing Silverstone and of course Brands Hatch x2
Old 28 Aug 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3126335)   #12
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Hi guys,

We're looking for some assistance from the boys and girls in orange and this is probably the best place for us to ask.

Before the end of the current season, we're keen to run a feature in the BTCC eMagazine Inside BTCC about marshals and the work they do on a race weekend. We've been around more than long enough to appreciate the role you all do and know that if you didn't give up your time, there wouldn't be any racing to go to. Now, we want to try and give the public an insight into things from your side of the fence.

What we're looking for is someone who will be marshaling at one of the remaining three BTCC events who would be prepared to keep a weekend diary that could then be used a feature in the eMag to help promote marshaling.

Is this something that anyone in here would be interested in helping us with?
for a bit more insight, i would also mention that there arent just marshals at btcc meetings...for most of us thats the glamerous side of marshalling....what most people dont see (and a lot of marshals as they just like doing btcc) is the marshals that do club meetings all over the country week in week out from february to november
Old 28 Aug 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3126341)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're forgetting January & December

There's the Plum Pudding @ Mallory Park every Boxing Day & most Kart circuits have a meeting in January.

For example:
My 2011 season ended on 26th December @ Mallory & my 2012 started on 8th January at Kimbolton.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3126345)   #14
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
You're forgetting January & December

There's the Plum Pudding @ Mallory Park every Boxing Day & most Kart circuits have a meeting in January.
And the Anglesey meeting on the 2nd December 2012

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3126348)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
And the Anglesey meeting on the 2nd December 2012
According to Tom Dooley (see finals for the last two Oulton BRSCC meetings) it's now Nov 24th, although Anglesey's website is still showing Dec 2nd.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3126359)   #16
Inside BTCC
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Don't worry - we don't plan to forgot those marshals who keep club level racing going, just that with the eMag being BTCC based it makes sense to focus on thise events.

Some of your suggestions have got me thinking whether a series of features would be better - showing a different aspect if marshaling each time. So someone on post one time, someone in the pits next time etc
Old 28 Aug 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3126369)   #17
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Don't worry - we don't plan to forgot those marshals who keep club level racing going, just that with the eMag being BTCC based it makes sense to focus on thise events.

Some of your suggestions have got me thinking whether a series of features would be better - showing a different aspect if marshaling each time. So someone on post one time, someone in the pits next time etc
how about attending a training day or getting info on it....vital part of marshalling!....or even volenteer for an event....im sure as a trainee someone can show you the ropes!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3126385)   #18
Inside BTCC
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Being on an event would be hard due to work commitments but a training day is a great idea we'll look into!
Old 28 Aug 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3126417)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Might I suggest you speak to Team Wilson who have a Marshals Recruiting stand at every BTCC round and who would be more than willing to give you as many details as you want?
Old 28 Aug 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3126421)   #20
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_08 View Post
There are some Marshals who follow the BTCC around the country as well as doing meetings at their own respective local circuits. Also, (some of) the local Marshals see the Touring Cars as being a highlight on the Marshalling calendar so turn out in numbers at their local track.
Equally, there are local marshals who avoid BTCC meetings like the plague as there are so many visiting marshals. Last time I marshalled for BTCC there were four of us on flags on my post so we took it in turns to stand down for a session.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3126465)   #21
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Duvall View Post
Equally, there are local marshals who avoid BTCC meetings like the plague as there are so many visiting marshals. Last time I marshalled for BTCC there were four of us on flags on my post so we took it in turns to stand down for a session.
Also there are many who will avoid BTCC because of the awful driving standards and ethics that are contaminating club racing and setting an appalling example.

Old 28 Aug 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3126578)   #22
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Also there are many who will avoid BTCC because of the awful driving standards and ethics that are contaminating club racing and setting an appalling example.

Yeah, that too!

Maybe this article could address the subject as a contribution to getting BTTC drivers to adher to the rules?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 05:54 (Ref:3126705)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Guys, we are drifting away from the subject which is a diary of the event. Please don't let this thread become a BTCC bashing thread!
Old 29 Aug 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3126764)   #24
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
how about attending a training day or getting info on it....vital part of marshalling!....or even volenteer for an event....im sure as a trainee someone can show you the ropes!
How about training JP & MN up as marshals next Jan, and getting them to do a couple of days out on the bank
Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3126769)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Guys, please keep this on topic or I will start to delete posts!