Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Apr 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3232936)   #1
alicesophia
Rookie

alicesophia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20/21 Donington BTCC

Hello,

Very much a newbie both here and to marshalling - this will be my fourth race (including a sprint) and I was just hoping to get some advice on what I'll need or need to be aware of for the meeting at Donington next weekend?

Thanks,
Alice
Old 12 Apr 2013, 13:16 (Ref:3232942)   #2
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As its BTCC just watch out for Plato!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 12 Apr 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3232957)   #3
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You will soon find that BTCC meetings are a bit like Marmite, some people love some hate them, but that's the beauty of volunteering you have a choice!

It's no different to any other race meeting really, except that there is a bit more contact in some of the races than you would find in club racing, and occasionally when certain drivers come and join you on post their ego is bigger than their talent.

I personally enjoy these meetings, they are well attended by Marshals and its a good opportunity to speak to some experienced people.

Come & say hi at sign on, I will be the fat, bald one in orange.... Oh wait, that won't help you much lol
Old 12 Apr 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3232977)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hello Alice, welcome to the big orange family (and Tenths)!

Darren summed up the general stuff, but I would add:
  • Wear (or bring) lots of layers. Donington's posts have their own climate, especially at the top end of the circuit where the wind can be merciless!
  • Bring waterproofs. They're also windproof (see previous item). Wear a hat.
  • Bring sweeties or cake. You'll be very popular with the rest of your team if you do
  • Bring plenty to drink.
  • If there's even a hint of sunshine, put some sun gunge on. The wind will lull you into a sense of it not being sunny and you'll go home all tomato-coloured. I do this at almost every meeting despite putting on sun stuff!
  • Listen to the Post Chief & I/O on your post at the morning briefing. If you feel nervous or unsafe at any point, tell them (and tell them why).
  • Enjoy yourself!

...and as Darren said, say hello. I'll be the short bald one in orange!
Old 12 Apr 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3233014)   #5
Matt Gusher
Rookie

England
Leeds
Matt Gusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Alice.
As said previously, BTCC isn't massively different as far as marshalling us concerned.
Last years BTCC at Donny was my second ever day on the bank, at Redgate (turn 1 if you're unfamiliar with Donny) and we had zero cars to deal with all day Sunday.
Just enjoy it and don't fall over because this does get a good deal of spectators!
Come say hello at sign on too, I'm the Johnny Depp lookalike.

Just kidding, I'm the tall, bald one in orange!
Old 12 Apr 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3233061)   #6
Dave Weston
Racer

Dave Weston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you may also find some of the info on here useful?
http://www.marshalsguide.com/index.php/Donington_Park
Old 15 Apr 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3234616)   #7
alicesophia
Rookie

alicesophia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for the comments and advice! I shall be bringing plenty of layers, drink and keep my ears and eyes open!

I'll see you all at sign-on, bright and early on Saturday morning, and will hopefully bring some sweet treats with me too!
Old 15 Apr 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3234739)   #8
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Driving up the M1 this morning on our way home from Silverstone, the "advisory message boards" (don't know what the proper term is) were warning about an "event" at Donington next weekend and that delays were expected. You might want to bear this in mind if you are going because that's the first time we've ever seen any such warning - what do they know thus far in advance ???

No worries for us, though, as we will be watching it on TV!!!
Old 16 Apr 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3235278)   #9
big mick
Rookie

big mick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No worries for us, though, as we will be watching it on TV!!![/QUOTE]
i will be at home too tin in one hand and butty in the other
Old 16 Apr 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3235441)   #10
simon_blay
Racer

simon_blay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not mashaling this one, still recovering from spending the day on Hangar Straight at the WEC last weekend!

If anyone has a spare ticket for Sunday, can they PM me?

Cheers
Old 17 Apr 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3235953)   #11
Dav
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Dav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing those "informative" messages in the week before BTCC last year as well. I don't recall the traffic actually affecting the M1 much, but I believe the traffic plan requires that the messages be shown amongst other things.

D
Old 18 Apr 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3236192)   #12
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_blay View Post
I'm not mashaling this one, still recovering from spending the day on Hangar Straight at the WEC last weekend!
Wimp!

I did the 3 days at WEC, and I'm doing the 2 days at BTCC - yes, even at my advanced age!

But don't care.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 15:45 (Ref:3236235)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
I remember seeing those "informative" messages in the week before BTCC last year as well. I don't recall the traffic actually affecting the M1 much, but I believe the traffic plan requires that the messages be shown amongst other things.

D
Isn't it more the M42? Never known BTCC meetings to cause traffic problems to be honest, not unless you count the car park scrum at the end of the day...?
Old 22 Apr 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3237754)   #14
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...and what a hideous scrum it was. Took over an hour to get from the end of the Melbourne Loop to the A453 (but only 15 minutes to get home from there).

That aside, Sunday was an excellent day on post 11. I wasn't there on Saturday, so I didn't get to warm my hands on the burning Ginetta; I told the team yesterday that with me there the fun would all be elsewhere, and I was right!

We did however almost catch a Porsche who made the most amazing save after spearing off to the right exiting the Old Hairpin - to within about a metre of the tyrewall, and the Clios provided much entertainment with one of them gaining full style marks for a tank slapper that started on the exit of the Old Hairpin and ended *after* he'd gone under Starkey's Bridge. That one must have changed direction about 5 or 6 times, facing left, then right, then left again...

A big well done to all those who passed their various assessments over the weekend, too.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3237870)   #15
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
...and what a hideous scrum it was. Took over an hour to get from the end of the Melbourne Loop to the A453 (.
Me likewise

The security/car park attendants were useless!

I was directed from the paddock towards the main entrance, but then found more security at the top of the hill, and the end of the queue, so at their suggestion[!] I doubled back to the queue for the back-gate [which at least I could see ] But then the one on the back gate keep stopping the queue coming from the paddock for ages whilst he let everyone out of the car-park next to the gate.

That's obviously the best place to park for next time, you'll be home in no time, even with the walk!

But don't care.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3237874)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm amazed to hear people had issues. We parked in the Melbourne Loop car park area and got out within about 2 minutes of starting up the car. We did watch the last few laps though from Redgate so we could make a swift exit... All this could be avoided though if they put another race on after the final touring car race. Brands was perfect in that respect as you didn't have the mad rush of people all trying to leave at once.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3238025)   #17
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester
Johansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had no problem walking out to get my bus lol!!!! Lost count of how many cars I passed tho!

Had a fab day on 9, great team and had a little btcc car park that only 3 of the drivers used, all at the same time in race 2...

Ill certainly do btcc again next year :-)
Old 23 Apr 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3238340)   #18
f1madmatt
Racer

England
Leicester
f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went out of the Coppice gate , and was out of the circuit in less than 2 minutes. Learnt my lesson fron a couple of years ago when it took me an hour to get out of the paddock entrance