Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Oct 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3854772)   #8601
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It's within the range of actual active race cars in the last 15 years, yes. Doesn't become much of an example of what's possible without car regulations at that point, just what's possible with free choice of tires.
That's a big part of the car but there's so much more to it than the shoes.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3855391)   #8602
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the monster has been retired now. I’m glad it got the record around the Nordschleife just to show what is capable in one of the fastest cars ever created. I know some people think it’s sacrilege that they beat Bellof’s time but I think they sit nicely next to each other.

Bellof still has the all important fastest race meeting lap and the EVO has the fastest ever which makes you just appreciate just how massively cars have actually improved since the early 80s.

What it didn’t really like was the half hearted attempts at other tracks. I.e Brands, Laguna Seca and also the lack of a fast run up the Goodwood hill which would’ve actually made the EVO a competitor rather than just a time trial car.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3855392)   #8603
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is it done and finally retired now then?
Old 8 Oct 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3855405)   #8604
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
For me this thing never really existed. I drive the one and only proper 919 in actual competition, albeit virtually.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3855527)   #8605
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It was cool to see a what if for the car with some minor additions and the fuel restrictions cut. The fact it was a minor modification was a big deal to me. F1 speeds are the benchmark for 'fastest' racing and cars in the world. To see an lmp1 reach that is cool to me. I don't like the comparisons between the two that much but to see Porsche say "hey we can go that fast too" and then go and do it I think raised some eyebrows and gathered some attention to lmp1 that is now gone in part thanks to Porsche and their parent company leaving the wec.
Old 8 Oct 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3855537)   #8606
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Is it done and finally retired now then?
It was reported that this was the last on-track appreance, so yes.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3855713)   #8607
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Just got back from vacation, so a bit late to this discussion.

I was at Rennsport and did spend a good bit of time following the 919evo around while I was there. Watched every session it ran, spoke with the drivers and engineers in between.

It was very strange. Very un-German, and very un-Porsche. It just seemed poorly planned (don't get me wrong, the event itself was incredible, one that every petrolhead must attend! I'm just referring to the 919) and executed.

Thursday, didn't run because they "Didn't have the special fuel for it"-per ECU engineer I spoke with at length. He also told me they were not going for a record. Judging by the way he spoke and his mannerisms I got the feeling they were going for the record, but didn't want to say so incase they couldn't reach it for some reason.

Friday I can't recall which driver was in it, but I was standing at the end of pit lane under the bridge. Watching him come out of turn 11, he was getting sideways each time and looked to really be pushing it. But then got off the gas in the 3-4-5 area. After the session went and spoke with the engineers again and all of a sudden they were mentioning the official and unofficial lap records down to the hundredth of a second.

Saturday watched from the corkscrew and then the top of the hill looking down on the circuit, the car never appeared even close to being driven in anger.

Sunday watched again from pit lane. This session was the most strange as the car kept coming in to change tires or the angle of the rear wing. Bamber was at the wheel this time and did appear to be pushing hard through the gears, but never came that quickly out of turn 11. Spoke with him afterwards and he mentioned the tires and wing not being ideal.

I thought for sure they would go for a lap record, I mean why not? I would guess that the car is capable of it.

One of my friends was taking with a Porsche executive in the VIP area (so this is hearsay). He said that the exec mentioned that the shortcoming has now become the drivers. The car is capable of going much faster and taking turns at a much higher rate of speed, however the drivers are not physically or mentally capable of committing to the cornering speeds. Makes sense I guess.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3855750)   #8608
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
One of my friends was taking with a Porsche executive in the VIP area (so this is hearsay). He said that the exec mentioned that the shortcoming has now become the drivers. The car is capable of going much faster and taking turns at a much higher rate of speed, however the drivers are not physically or mentally capable of committing to the cornering speeds. Makes sense I guess.
This sounds a bit PR-filtered... Or is this exec saying F1 drivers are superhumans then. The mental side makes sense on tight circuits with little run-off areas, but then again on small and tight circuits like Laguna the G forces aren't that high.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 04:07 (Ref:3855821)   #8609
TF110
Veteran

United States
Read somewhere that the head of the program said it would be capable of a sub-1 minute lap. I don't think they were going for it and I doubt it was the drivers holding it back. Whatever it was they were close to the Indy/champcar record of 1:07.xxx so it's really quick.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3856253)   #8610
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done aa total U-turn on this and I'm now of the opinion that it was a totally pointless exercise. If they'd gone around obliterating track records everywhere I'd probably feel differently. As it stands all they've demonstrated is that the 919 is quicker with bigger wings, fancy tires and fuel and some knobs turned up to 11.

I'd be interested to see how close you could get to the Nord record in a WEC spec car.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3856277)   #8611
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm in agreement - it was totally pointless. Which, for me, is the point.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3856308)   #8612
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
I've done aa total U-turn on this and I'm now of the opinion that it was a totally pointless exercise. If they'd gone around obliterating track records everywhere I'd probably feel differently. As it stands all they've demonstrated is that the 919 is quicker with bigger wings, fancy tires and fuel and some knobs turned up to 11.

I'd be interested to see how close you could get to the Nord record in a WEC spec car.
I've kept out of this since giving my opinion when it all started. Suffice to say, I completely agree.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 21:49 (Ref:3856354)   #8613
TF110
Veteran

United States
I think the tire issue is because of the increased loads of the car. A normal lmp1 tire might be able to handle it but maybe not safely. I don't know if it's anymore of a special compound than that. I still like this idea though.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3856367)   #8614
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a PR/marketing exercise and if it increases Porsche sales, then it's done its job. As for motorsport itself, it achieved very little.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3856420)   #8615
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Exactly so.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3859164)   #8616
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is nothing of interest here https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...n-public-roads

Fake Porsche LMP1 drives on roads.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3859184)   #8617
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More interesting than the illegal 919 driving the roads was that real 919 also followed it

Second in line though
Old 25 Oct 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3859187)   #8618
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It was probably ahead because it was faster.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 22:43 (Ref:3859513)   #8619
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Nowadays this kind of PR bullshit sells well. Porsche people not stupid. Journos are.
Old 28 Oct 2018, 03:52 (Ref:3859542)   #8620
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Nowadays this kind of PR bullshit sells well. Porsche people not stupid. Journos are.
If those cars came down the street in my city I'd be lined up to watch. I might even pay a few bucks to see it. Why the hate?
Old 28 Oct 2018, 08:11 (Ref:3859563)   #8621
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Me too - in my street or somewhere near, but thrashing it around a circuit unchallenged in a non-racing spec? No, it does nothing for me.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3861439)   #8622
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Chris Harris drove the 919 earlier this year.

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw82332kp4E

"Here's a partial segment. Watch the full episode, including more Porsche and 100% Harris on Sunday 11/4 on /DRIVE on NBC Sports, 9:00p ET on NBCSN."
Old 7 Nov 2018, 01:22 (Ref:3861514)   #8623
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Chris Harris drove the 919 earlier this year.

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw82332kp4E

"Here's a partial segment. Watch the full episode, including more Porsche and 100% Harris on Sunday 11/4 on /DRIVE on NBC Sports, 9:00p ET on NBCSN."

I'm so jealous of him being able to drive it yet not know what it's capable of...A lot of miss information in his comment...
Aragon circuit is not best suited for the car but it is hard to crash there...
Old 28 Dec 2018, 07:36 (Ref:3872763)   #8624
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Motor Fan Illustrated magazine (Motorsport technology datails 2018/2019) features Porsche 919 Hybrid.
http://www.as-books.jp/books/info.php?no=MFS20181227
http://www.as-books.jp/books/preview.php?no=6295
Old 15 Jan 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3876318)   #8625
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
enjoyed this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrrt...0#action=share