Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Oct 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3151806)   #101
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Agreed! Just don't force them to race in GTE/GT3 cars.
Would love to see the BRZ, Prius, CR-Z and Vemac
Old 14 Oct 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3151876)   #102
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdbl1 View Post
First off you are listening to the voices in your head again.
Say what? How can they keep ACO ties if they ditch GTE?!?!?

And seriously, I don't think I'm yet to be called a troll by members of this forum so slinging around a line like the above quote isn't going to gain you any new friends....you've got no credibility as it is so maybe try not to tell me I've got voices in my head
Old 15 Oct 2012, 02:04 (Ref:3151949)   #103
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdbl1 View Post
First off you are listening to the voices in your head again. NO ONE in any way shape or form has said that LMP and GTE are gong to be a part of the new series. All they have said is they are going to try to keep ties with the ACO. Do not be surprised if the new GT series looks a LOT like a mixture of the GX and GT3 classes. Since the GTE will NO LONGER EXIST after 2015, it make little sense to design the combined rules to conform even close to that class.
You really should try to be more informed when trying to make definitive statements! I suggest you listen to the entire merger presser, then come back for your crow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSXK6PikhQ

L.P.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 03:36 (Ref:3151978)   #104
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
You really should try to be more informed when trying to make definitive statements! I suggest you listen to the entire merger presser, then come back for your crow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSXK6PikhQ

L.P.
Don't feed the troll.

Ignoring is the best response.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3152026)   #105
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
As has been said this is potentially the most sensible decision in GT racing for years. Think about if a manufacturer can build a race car to one spec that can race in global and regional championships throughout the world then the chances of selling the cars are massively improved, the chances of making money are massively improved and therefore they are far more likely to build the cars and run a programme.

As long as it is executed properly with proper consultation with GA, GTA, SRO and all other series promoters then this should be a win win situation.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3152086)   #106
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
As has been said this is potentially the most sensible decision in GT racing for years.

As long as it is executed properly with proper consultation with GA, GTA, SRO and all other series promoters then this should be a win win situation.
I can only agree, provided all parties can work together constructively. May common sense prevail!
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3152094)   #107
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ginger4Justice nailed it: We are all confused because sports car racing organizers did something sensible.

GTE is getting more expensive every year, as is GT3. Privateers will be pushed out whether or not there is a new set of regs ... of course, there isn't much of a "set of regs" regarding GT3, which makes it a difficult place for manufacturers to play---too much in the hands of the Adjustment Bureau.

Instead of watching more money spread over two series until both go broke, FIA is writing a new set of rules to create a new class which should hopefully contain costs, provide equitable and stable rules which allow more manufacturers to build cars that can win, and which will continue to provide the excellent racing these two classes are known for.

Wow, FIA making a rational plan before the crisis arrives. Who would ever have imagined?

You know, the past several decades of history nonwithstanding, it might actually be possible for sports car racing to succeed as a sport and a business. Changes like this seem to take us int he right direction.

of course, as with all things, there is this caveat: if they don't screw this up, it could be a great opportunity ... If they don't screw this up.

(Say, anyone see that absolute flop of a race put on by that moribund WEC series at Fuji? Yeah, that race proves WEC is dying .... )
Old 15 Oct 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3152100)   #108
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Wow, FIA making a rational plan before the crisis arrives. Who would ever have imagined?
Certainly agree with your points and everyone else's about this being a sensible decision and evidence of the powers that be looking at the bigger picture.

I'm massively all for it.

That said, I think it's naive (and this is not aimed at any one poster) not to think that the FIA/ACO are trying to leverage back a bit of power in the process, particularly when it comes to the WEC and Le Mans.

Not that I have any problem with that.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3152131)   #109
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
How can any rational sane person not see the potential benefits in a universal GT rules set? Something that the manufacturers are attracted to, but controlling costs as well.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3152136)   #110
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"How can any rational sane person not see the potential benefits in a <<unified North American Sports car Series>>? Something that the manufacturers are attracted to, but controlling costs as well."

of course, as with all things, there is this caveat: if they don't screw this up, it could be a great opportunity ... If they don't screw this up.

DPs as the top class! Rovals all the way!

For some irrational cause, I continue to be optimistic ... about the new GT class.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3152193)   #111
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I saw this quote this morning, and I thought it was appropriate not just here, but in any discussion about which cars to use.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them. -Albert Einstein
Old 15 Oct 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3152489)   #112
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if this is a stupid questin but regarding GT300, are they thinking of adapting their regs or are they just hoping they'll use the new rules? I love a lot of the cars in GT300 but don't they have a lot of performance balancing?
Old 15 Oct 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3152498)   #113
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid questin but regarding GT300, are they thinking of adapting their regs or are they just hoping they'll use the new rules? I love a lot of the cars in GT300 but don't they have a lot of performance balancing?
I think there are two different rulesets in this "class" (jaf gt300 and gt3) and gt3 will be already merged into the new gt category of the fia. Im not sure how the current jaf gt300 would fit in the new class as they are basically "dtm lite", completely different from gte and gt3. Also there is the new mother chassis with possibly insane aero (saw an image in rce). Possibly even more absurd designs than current jaf gt300, im not sure how those cars could be incorporated in a production based gt catgory.

Last edited by lms; 15 Oct 2012 at 20:23.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 10:26 (Ref:3152767)   #114
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
I think there are two different rulesets in this "class" (jaf gt300 and gt3) and gt3 will be already merged into the new gt category of the fia. Im not sure how the current jaf gt300 would fit in the new class as they are basically "dtm lite", completely different from gte and gt3. Also there is the new mother chassis with possibly insane aero (saw an image in rce). Possibly even more absurd designs than current jaf gt300, im not sure how those cars could be incorporated in a production based gt catgory.
Yeah, and they might beat the likes of Corvette or the 911 when it let loose at Le Mans. But then again, the mother chassis plan plus extreme aerowork would be scrapped once they merge to GT3/GT3.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3152849)   #115
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
I can see GT300 including these new rules as a subset of what they do, but I cannot see the GT300 Japanese cars being a subset of the GTE/GT3 rules. It doesn't make sense to include things like the Subaru BRZ as a LM competitor to a Ferrari, or Porsche.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3153029)   #116
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Why not? Corvettes are half or a third of the price. M3's are even cheaper. It's a 'sportscar' and this is sportscar racing. Maybe they'll be forced to make a model with higher power on the road. In reality though, the GT300's were never super powerful (~300hp). And GTE's make 100-200hp less than their road counterparts. I think they'd be glad to have more makes and models in their series.

Last edited by TF110; 16 Oct 2012 at 19:49. Reason: spelling
Old 16 Oct 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3153030)   #117
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I can see GT300 including these new rules as a subset of what they do, but I cannot see the GT300 Japanese cars being a subset of the GTE/GT3 rules. It doesn't make sense to include things like the Subaru BRZ as a LM competitor to a Ferrari, or Porsche.
I agree.

L.P.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3153045)   #118
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
It doesn't make sense to include things like the Subaru BRZ as a LM competitor to a Ferrari, or Porsche.
Only a little cheaper than Z4, anyway.
Old 16 Oct 2012, 20:30 (Ref:3153053)   #119
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post
Only a little cheaper than Z4, anyway.
I still want BMW to do a wide-body V8 Z4 homologation car. If Nissan can shove a GT-R engine into a Juke and sell it as a limited production model without racing it, then what is stopping BMW?
Old 16 Oct 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3153081)   #120
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I still want BMW to do a wide-body V8 Z4 homologation car.
Like the GT1 GT-R, The GT1 GTR safety car looked like a toy in front of the James Rumsey GT-R.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 06:34 (Ref:3153203)   #121
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Why not? Corvettes are half or a third of the price. M3's are even cheaper. It's a 'sportscar' and this is sportscar racing. Maybe they'll be forced to make a model with higher power on the road. In reality though, the GT300's were never super powerful (~300hp). And GTE's make 100-200hp less than their road counterparts. I think they'd be glad to have more makes and models in their series.
actually the corvettes and BMW m3 racing cars are twice the price of the ferrari/porsche racing versions (GTE). (rough estimate)
Old 17 Oct 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3153224)   #122
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
He's talking the road cars...
Old 17 Oct 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3153309)   #123
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
He's talking the road cars...
which is irrelevant in race cars
Old 17 Oct 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3153319)   #124
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
In a class based around marketing the road going version and only being able to race if a road going version is available I kinda think they're more relevant than anything....
Old 17 Oct 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3153351)   #125
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
In a class based around marketing the road going version and only being able to race if a road going version is available I kinda think they're more relevant than anything....
That's the basic premize, yes. but since the introduction of BMW in 2009(I thing) that was all shoot to hell...

While a 430, 997 gt3, and a corvette are of comparable performace, the m3 is ridiculusly slow compared to them..

and since the new class will likely feature even more manufacturers with even more ridiculous performances compared to the top notch sports cars, the road relevance is shot to hell...

The best we can hope is that they make a stable set of rules, everyone will adhere to without waivers and BoP..., relax the GTE rulebook, but enforce it more strictly...

but I fear that is all fools hopes, the reality of the sport/and situation is that will just have a re-badged GT3 class..with the core of the GTE class going to the history books....