Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Jan 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3362035)   #91
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Goodwood
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Old 30 Jan 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3362062)   #92
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
narrower shape = lower drag = less downforce = car lighter at high speeds = less fuel consume = better fuel efficiency = main concept and objective of 2014 rules = narrower shape = lower drag = = less downforce = car lighter at high speeds = less fuel consume = better fuel efficiency = main concept and objective of 2014 rules = and on...
You could add less stable and less mechanical grip to that mix too. Narrowing cars should never be an option for me. Less aero, ok, but the track width shouldn't be touched.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3362090)   #93
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Seems like a very narrow cockpit.

I like the look of the new prototypes, and my only criticism is that these don't look like they could hold two passengers.
They really need to introduce rules that gets rid of the pointy noses and the whole single seater vibe prototypes from the last 10 or so years have had.

I doubt they will though, they want the F1 audience so they'll keep the F1 noses and single seater look.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3362096)   #94
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
They really need to introduce rules that gets rid of the pointy noses and the whole single seater vibe prototypes from the last 10 or so years have had.

I doubt they will though, they want the F1 audience so they'll keep the F1 noses and single seater look.
I'm sure ACO is open to suggestions that achieve just that without making the whole front section a spec part.

2014 was a chance to make bigger chances (underbody, and getting rid of the fins), so I doubt there will be major chances for years.

I actually think the narrow width makes the cars look a bit more nimble/agile. 919 looks by far best so far. R18 is worse proportionally.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3362170)   #95
CTD
Subscriber
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm surprised they are running regular lighting, when both Audi and Porsche have their cars with LED's
Old 30 Jan 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3362171)   #96
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Oh trust me. I think the new F1 rules have gone a long way to distancing themselves from the sportscars

Old 30 Jan 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3362214)   #97
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Radiators have to be at the front of the car?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3362222)   #98
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Oh trust me. I think the new F1 rules have gone a long way to distancing themselves from the sportscars
What am I looking at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I'm sure ACO is open to suggestions that achieve just that without making the whole front section a spec part.

2014 was a chance to make bigger chances (underbody, and getting rid of the fins), so I doubt there will be major chances for years.

I actually think the narrow width makes the cars look a bit more nimble/agile. 919 looks by far best so far. R18 is worse proportionally.
Heres a good idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Old 30 Jan 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3362250)   #99
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
So far it looks good from the front. I'm afraid though that we'll see the same minibus cockpit lenght as the other contenders. The current rules'll never produce flowing beauties like the GT-One or EXP Speed 8.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3362255)   #100
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Once the rules-makers start trying to mandate the appearance of cars it is time to watch a new series.

Cars need to be quick and safe .... period. Form will follow function.

As for the chassis and tires being narrower ... sure it gives (potentially) less mechanical grip, but that is also a new challenge for the engineers.

Further, the rules-makers are Always slowing the cars down some because there are reasonable safe limits for straightaway and cornering speeds given the types of track upon which these cars race---and the limits of the human organism.

These cars were not made less safe because the tires are narrower, and if grip was all that important, ACO would mandate sprint bodywork downforce levels at Le masn, not trimmed out torpedo-cars.

2014 cars are in no way less safe---in fact they are significantly more safe because of better outward vision and more intrusion protection.

These cars might end up being alittle slower than their predeccessors for a short while, but history shows that in a short while engineers will have found ways to go faster with less.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 21:38 (Ref:3362271)   #101
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Once the rules-makers start trying to mandate the appearance of cars it is time to watch a new series.
Time to watch another series.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3362285)   #102
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Time to watch another series.
True. The fins have been here since 2011.

Heres a nice picture
Old 31 Jan 2014, 03:34 (Ref:3362374)   #103
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Given the discussion about front crash structures going on now, which are a lot easier to implement when the radiators are at the side, is this really a wise way to go?
Old 31 Jan 2014, 04:34 (Ref:3362390)   #104
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!TF110 is going for a new lap record!
Some interesting comments on Toyota Europe's blog...
http://blog.toyota.eu/2014/01/30/int...-ts040-hybrid/
Quote:
With no limits on when the hybrid boost can be used and double the amount of boost available, teams have a lot more to play with in 2014.

TOYOTA Racing will use this, hopefully to great effect, with a four-wheel drive hybrid system delivering substantially more power than the 300hp of boost provided to the rear wheels in 2013.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 06:54 (Ref:3362415)   #105
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Given the discussion about front crash structures going on now, which are a lot easier to implement when the radiators are at the side, is this really a wise way to go?
Would it make them too unsafe? As long as the crash test remained the same it should be alright. You may have a valid point, but I'd base nothing on the current discussion on crash structures going on right now.